cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PD9260 Convertor Never Goes To 14.4V

Ron_Nielson
Explorer
Explorer
If I am NOT on shore power, draw batteries down to 12.3 or 12.4 volts, I assumed that when I plugged back into shore power, my PD9260 would start putting out 14.4 volts, or at least something close. Mine only puts out 13.6 measured on the output terminals of the PD9260.

Is that a malfunction of the PD9260 or is there something else going on that I don't understand?
49 REPLIES 49

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
RJ, which are you, a Vendor, or a Representative for Progressive Dynamics?

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Quote:
Bought one. Came in a brown box rolled in bubble wrap with no pendant or serial number. Are you this vendor or a rep of them?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

09FLSTC
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
Like I said before, it is not unusual for a wizard to start off in the 13.6 mode even at 50% discharged, believe it or not, I couldn't care less.

But the 9100 series PDs w/o the charge wizard plugged in, was nothing more than a single stage 13.6 charger, identical to the older 7300. If by per chance you were to have a mislabeled 9100 series verses a 9200, it is a single stage charger, until you purchased a "charge wizard"
Just for info, all 9200s have the charge wizard built in, and the optional pendant just give manual control over the stages.
The older 9100 fixed voltage converters, were easily converted to 3 stage by pluggin in a charge wizard, ($30) which looks similar to the pendant, ($12) and also gives manual control.
Point being, don't confuse the charge wizard for the 9100, w/ the pendant for the 9200.
Last point, there is a reason why the pendant is most times included in the price of the 9200, reason being. and as the OP found out, you NEED it !

Bought one. Came in a brown box rolled in bubble wrap with no pendant or serial number. Are you this vendor or a rep of them?

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:

Also the new power centers have the wizard built in.
/PD4560-50-Amp-Power-Center-with-60-Amp-ConverterCharger
Oh, that's nice.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
BFL13 wrote:
Which model is it that has a boost button on the DC fuse panel instead of using a remote gizmo? (People have mentioned the fuse panel location is hard to get at)

That is the 4600, see page 5 of the manual.
http://www.progressivedyn.com/4600_operation_guide.pdf

Also the new power centers have the wizard built in.
/PD4560-50-Amp-Power-Center-with-60-Amp-ConverterCharger

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Which model is it that has a boost button on the DC fuse panel instead of using a remote gizmo? (People have mentioned the fuse panel location is hard to get at)
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Ron_Nielson
Explorer
Explorer
mena661 wrote:
I'd put in #2 if you're going to be stringing new wire. Price difference isn't that great.

Thanks, I'll do just that.

Ron

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Like I said before, it is not unusual for a wizard to start off in the 13.6 mode even at 50% discharged, believe it or not, I couldn't care less.

But the 9100 series PDs w/o the charge wizard plugged in, was nothing more than a single stage 13.6 charger, identical to the older 7300. If by per chance you were to have a mislabeled 9100 series verses a 9200, it is a single stage charger, until you purchased a "charge wizard"
Just for info, all 9200s have the charge wizard built in, and the optional pendant just give manual control over the stages.
The older 9100 fixed voltage converters, were easily converted to 3 stage by pluggin in a charge wizard, ($30) which looks similar to the pendant, ($12) and also gives manual control.
Point being, don't confuse the charge wizard for the 9100, w/ the pendant for the 9200.
Last point, there is a reason why the pendant is most times included in the price of the 9200, reason being. and as the OP found out, you NEED it !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
I'd put in #2 if you're going to be stringing new wire. Price difference isn't that great.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
My voltage drop calculator says you will drop from .9 to .5 by swapping from #6 to #4.
The rest is in the connections.

http://www.genuinedealz.com/voltage-drop-calculator

Ron_Nielson
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
You must have a long run of smaller gauge wire to only have 13.0 volts at the battery. Voltage aside, 51 amps is a good, respectable charge current.

Well, the run isn't very long. The batteries are at drivers side front corner and the PD9260 is over front axle, curbside, probably 17 feet,certainly no more than 20 ft. I'm pretty sure it's 6 AWG cable. When I have time and feel like it, I could change to 4AWG cable. Shouldn't need more than that.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Ouch... that 1.3 volt drop is really going to hurt your charging performance and could be restricting the boost mode. You said you had #6 wire but how long is it? If it is an easy pull you may consider going #4 or #2. But first check any connections such as fuses, circuit breakers, switches etc. along that path for a bad connection adding to the voltage drop in the wire.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron Nielson wrote:
Finally! Drew down to 11.9, turned on PD9260 and got 14.27 volts within a minute at the device, still only 13.0 volts at the battery itself. 51 amps going to the battery. So I think the device will work if the battery is low enough. And another thing, this is the 1st time I have ever heard the fan turn on. Now I know it works if needed.
Good news! It'll be a lot easier to go into bulk/boost mode with the pendent ๐Ÿ™‚

You must have a long run of smaller gauge wire to only have 13.0 volts at the battery. Voltage aside, 51 amps is a good, respectable charge current.

Ron_Nielson
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
How much battery do you have?
Leave the lights on as you plug in.

There are 2 Grp 29 batteries from Walmart, one dated in 2010, the other in 2013. The 2010 battery was used a little to power a trolling battery; the 2013 battery was used by a friend who decided it wasn't up to the job for him and gave it to me. I believe that batteries are in the 110 amp-hour range each, though it's difficult to find the exact specs for the batteries.