cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable Air Conditioner Fix

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased, and returned, a 8,000 btu single hose portable air conditioner that I had purchased for a small cargo trailer conversion. It did little to cool the trailer and took up valuable floor space. After some research and thinking, I purchased another just like it and am very happy with the performance now.

Single hose units draw air into the trailer from every source available. This warm moist air raises the temp of the inside air. I cut a hole in the wall right behind the portable unit which provides a source of replacement air, reducing the need for air coming in the far end of the trailer. It works great. My measurements show a huge improvement. Basically, it operates more like a two hose unit. I also insulated the discharge hose which helped a little.
8 REPLIES 8

Chandalen
Explorer
Explorer
A GOOD 2000w Genny will run it. However you can blow up the AC if the genny isn't a GOOD one.

Use a surge protector, if it frys, you saved the AC, and discovered the genny is not strong enough.

Ask me how I know.
'08 Sierra 5th wheel bunk house
'04 F350 6.0L (bulletproofish now)
470ah GC2 battery bank, 500w Solar /w TS-45 Controller, 2k Pure Sine Inverter
Active Duty Army

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
So are you saying if you're going to buy a new one, get the two hose model?

What I am saying is that the efficiency of a one hose model can be improved with some creative engineering.

By definition, the two hose models are more efficient, but I could not find one that fit my floor plan and budget.

Been thinking about picking one up for the down south 5'ver. Does seem like the two hose models are bigger/taller. Cutting a hole in the rig doesn't appeal to me though.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:

What I am saying is that the efficiency of a one hose model can be improved with some creative engineering.

By definition, the two hose models are more efficient, but I could not find one that fit my floor plan and budget.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast wrote:
Would a 2000-watt inverter gen run it?

Yes. Around 760 running watts is all it takes. I ran it with a Storm Cat 900 as a test. It was all it wanted, but it did it.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Would a 2000-watt inverter gen run it?
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
A Haier 8,000 model from Walmart. Very quiet, especially on low fan. Timer, thermostat, remote, $260

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
So you've made it a sort of window AC, only the whole unit inside ๐Ÿ™‚
May I ask what model did you choose, is it loud?