cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable generators with auto start capability.

CoeyCoey
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I am looking for a small portable generator with autostart capability. The only one I have found so far is the AIM models. Does anyone else know of any brands with this feature?

My goal is to have a backup generator automatically kick on if the shore power should fail to make sure my dogs still have AC if I am not around to turn it on myself.

Thanks!
32 REPLIES 32

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, I got the older Honda 2000 to occaisionly use it with my Class B. Works great & quiet. My house lost power for 3 days 2 weeks ago. The genny powered my fridge, sat tv, and computer with internet connection . I could use the microwave when disconnected from the fridge.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I'd get a Champion
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

CoeyCoey
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
CoeyCoey wrote:
If I skip the generator, I can get a Victron Multiplus inverter for $1,300 and two Tesla battery modules with BMS for around $3,000.

Where did you find Tesla Battery modules for $3k?

They are about $1,100 on Ebay, and the BMS is around $700 to $800.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
CoeyCoey wrote:
If I skip the generator, I can get a Victron Multiplus inverter for $1,300 and two Tesla battery modules with BMS for around $3,000.

Where did you find Tesla Battery modules for $3k?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
CoeyCoey wrote:
Hello all,

I am looking for a small portable generator with autostart capability. The only one I have found so far is the AIM models. Does anyone else know of any brands with this feature?

My goal is to have a backup generator automatically kick on if the shore power should fail to make sure my dogs still have AC if I am not around to turn it on myself.

Thanks!

We've kindof had the same issue with our dog's safety when away from our motorhome on foot while looking for rocks - with the motorhome parked in the desert sun with it's built-in generator running and the rooftop AC on to keep the coach interior and dog cool (the dog was in a playpen - not running loose inside) :

We kept the rooftop vent fan running (of course powered by the coach batteries) for whole-coach ventilation in addition to the AC, and a powerful portable 12V fan running (also powered by the coach battieries) and aimed directly at the dog in it's playpen for super air flow aimed right at the dog's playpen.

When we got back to the RV for some reason the generator, and the AC that it was operating, had stopped on it's own. The 12V coach batteries powered dual fans kept the dog cool and ventilated enough so as to remain comfortable while we were away without the generator no longer running.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

CoeyCoey
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I think I am going to go all battery. In order to make it simple, I would need a Victron 2 AC input Quatro inverter/Charger. It would be around $3,300 plus the generator at $800. If I skip the generator, I can get a Victron Multiplus inverter for $1,300 and two Tesla battery modules with BMS for around $3,000. That would give me around 10kWh of energy. Enough to run my AC longer than the gas tank on the generator would. 5 hours with no solar coming in, 8 hours with 75% solar coming in. The two battery modules don't weigh much more than the generator. Plus, I can add more in the future. I think four would be great. Plus, the size of the batteries means I don't have to worry about a cooling system. The air conditioning will only draw a max of about .16C with two modules, and .08C with four, and that is with no solar input.

CoeyCoey
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
How do you plan to handle choking or priming the engine for starting?

https://www.aimscorp.net/3200-watt-portable-inverter-generator.html

CoeyCoey
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
How do you plan to handle choking or priming the engine for starting?

https://www.aimscorp.net/3200-watt-portable-inverter-generator.html

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Could you call someone to start the generator for you? If there is wifi near your trailer you could install a temp monitoring system. It can alert your cell phone to a rise in temp and then you could ask someone to go start the genny.

Its also nice to monitor fridge temps.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, when you lose the 120 shore power, you can trigger the gen somehow and no problem, but then the shore power 120 comes back on--you don't want to have 240v.

Or you could have a rig with two air conditioners--one on shore power only and the other on gen only
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
BFL13 wrote:
3tons (ISTR) has a Victron battery monitor of some sort that has a gen start feature you can set a voltage for. Not a clue how that works.

But if you had that connected to a converter that just lost its 120v input and thus showed a lower voltage (battery voltage) and that was what you had set as your gen start voltage, that could trigger the gen start?

EDIT More options on that

Can't link that Google article from Victron--anyway they have ways to do generator starting.

VICTRON GX STOP-START MANUAL

Doesn't really seem to be exactly what the OP was asking for, in a nutshell it is a BATTERY MONITOR with auto start. One would have to pull some tricks electronically to trigger it on shore power fail.. Then I don't see anything about 120V ATS so one would still need an ATS to switch between shore and gen..

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
3tons (ISTR) has a Victron battery monitor of some sort that has a gen start feature you can set a voltage for. Not a clue how that works.

But if you had that connected to a converter that just lost its 120v input and thus showed a lower voltage (battery voltage) and that was what you had set as your gen start voltage, that could trigger the gen start?

EDIT More options on that

Can't link that Google article from Victron--anyway they have ways to do generator starting.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
GordonThree wrote:
CoeyCoey wrote:

I don't think I will need one of those. I am simply going to have a relay that closes when shore power is lost and tells the generator to start. Then the ATS will kick over to generator power.

A simple relay is not sufficient. you'll likely damage your generator, inverter, air conditioner, etc.

You AT LEAST need a time delay relay, one that for example waits to energize 2 minutes after power is lost, and stays energized at least fifteen - thirty minutes after utility power is restored.

The Magnum AGS isn't very expensive, and likely Victron makes a similar unit for their inverter. Far easier than trying to DIY some sort of time delay circuit.

Time delay, yes, however the time you quoted however may not be true for ALL ATS. A COMMERCIAL/INDUSTRIAL ATS with automatic gen switchover perhaps you MIGHT see such long delays in switchover and 15-20 minutes of gen run after commercial power is restored.

In reality that long gen run after commercial power restored is to allow the gen to operate WITHOUT A LOAD in a cool down cycle or allow for intermittent utility power . Even in this situation the power would have been transferred SECONDS after utility power was restored.

In reality, the ATS should only switchover at the ZERO switching point of the incoming sinewaves, just takes a few seconds for both sources to present this opportunity.

Some ATS do monitor the zero switching and some do not.

RV ATS just uses a small time delay to allow gen to come up to voltage and stabilize..

Per Progressive Dynamics 30A RV ATS HERE..

"Description of Operation

When the shore power is applied the relay is at rest and power is transferred to the panel.

When Generator power is applied there is a 20-45 second delay and then the relay activates transferring Generator power to the panel.

If shore power returns while the Gen power is present nothing will happen. When the Gen power is removed the relay will drop out and allow the shore side to supply power.

Generator overrides shore power. "

As far as the OPs request, I suspect you will have to "bake your own" custom gen start, ATS and gen shut down. You would have to add in lockouts (failsafes) in case gen fails to start within x amount of tries, protections for gen malfunctions like too high voltage, to low voltage, out of spec frequency, overloads and so on..

Most auto start/ATS systems are custom designed for a specific brand of BUILT IN gen and will have a lot of failsafes diagnostics baked into it..

I suspect at the end of the day, this is not your typically DIY project and will be more difficult and not to mention more expensive that it will be worth..

Perhaps try a different approach, you could go with a smart home T stat (in this use would not need to be connected to heating or cooling system, just needs some power), a mobile hotspot all run from your 12V system, setup the T stat to report the temp.. The if the power fails and your RV starts getting warmer then the smart T stat can send you an alert to your phone to let you know it is hotter than your preset..

RV should stay at a fairy reasonable temp for an hr or so without power provided you have it set in some shady spot.