cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential engine overheating

JayNewbieRV
Explorer III
Explorer III

I have a 2007 Winnebago view 23 and the temperature gauge gets pretty close to the red when going up hills.   I just bought this and it’s not even the middle of the summer yet, any recommendations to fix this problem; To need a new radiator, flush, or???

Appreciate any ideas

thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Yes by all means if the engine is close to red the electric fan should be howling ferociously.

Check the coolant level.  These heating issues can be a multitude of things but start with getting the fan running.

View solution in original post

Shows how old I am.  I don't think anything has had a fan clutch in decades. Maybe an electric heat sensor for the fan has failed? Of course he should check the coolant level and for material blocking radiator first, after that, taking it to a good shop with an analyzer should tell him if the fans heat sensor has failed or if the fan motor itself has died. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

JDsdogs
Nomad
Nomad

If you could tell us what chassis and engine you are running, it would help.

Depending on what engine (make, model and displacement), it may have a clutch on the fan that is going bad.  I have had this happen. 

The 2007 Winnebago View 23J has a Mercedes-Benz diesel engine with a Dodge sprinter chassis The engine is a 2.7 liter, five-cylinder turbo-diesel, and the transmission is a five-speed automatic.

appreciate your response thank you

And whatever help you can send my way. 

note:  Should the fan actually run if it overheats and I should hear it and see it run???

Yes by all means if the engine is close to red the electric fan should be howling ferociously.

Check the coolant level.  These heating issues can be a multitude of things but start with getting the fan running.

Shows how old I am.  I don't think anything has had a fan clutch in decades. Maybe an electric heat sensor for the fan has failed? Of course he should check the coolant level and for material blocking radiator first, after that, taking it to a good shop with an analyzer should tell him if the fans heat sensor has failed or if the fan motor itself has died. 

Your solution is the best piece of information I have received and I really appreciate the time you took to send me an email and I have made an appointment with the radiator shop. Haven’t looked at; Thank you so much and I hope you have an awesome day😊

Thank you 🙏