cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problem starting Onan 4K generator

maulotaur
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Class C Shasta with a Onan 4K generator. It is hooked to a remote start in the kitchen area. Yesterday, I wanted to run the generator to get some fresh gas through the lines. When we pressed the remote start, there was a loud pop-not quite a backfire. We could not determine exactly where it came from, but I do not think it was from the generator. After that, the remote start and the actual button on the generator would not do anything. I did check all the breakers on the power distribution panel, but nothing was happening there. Was hoping someone might have a suggestion of this happening before to someone and could point me in the right direction. I know enough to be dangerous-but was hoping to fix this myself instead of having to take a repair shop.

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
There may be a large current fuse in the line from the battery to the generator. 100 amp or so is not uncommon. If equipped, it's usually located near the battery. Type ANL fuses are often used, like the one shown below.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
120-volt breakers do not have any functions when starting genset.
Loud pop could be from backfire which jammed the starter into flywheel. Check to see if you can move the generator shaft.
Verify battery voltage to genset.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker