cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

putting a Kodiac camper on Ford F350 ideas

laurencen
Explorer
Explorer

hi all and enjoy reading the many posts, we have a 1996 Kodiac truck camper, purchased at the time with my 1996 Dodge 3/4 ton Diesel, used it regulary upto 2004 when we purchased the 1999 Fleetwood discovery.

retired the Dodge, still have it but wanted to run the Camper for weekends, fixed a couple leaks from the sealant peeling on the fridge vent on the roof, scraped all the old seal and redid it, no leaks so load it up.

The first issue the Ford is taller from box to top of cab and needed to add a 2x10 plus a strip of 3/4 plywood so the rear doors will open and have clearance between truck roof and camper.

took it out last weekend, allmost instantly the front of camper shifted over to one side, we had decent winds so pulled over and re centered camper, tightened it more and set off, after half hour its back over, never had this issue with the Dodge so assuming its the spacer used under it allowing it to slide.

my question anyone else had this issue and what are you using for a spacer? Iv considered having a couple strips bandsawn 2 1/2 thick but thinking covering it, maybe carpet, rubber matting or?

thanks for ant sugestions 

1996 Kodiac camper, 1996 Dodge 2500 Diesel
1999 Fleetwood Discovery
4 REPLIES 4

laurencen
Explorer
Explorer

funny, I ran 2x10 with 3/4 plywood the length of the bed, worked to get height right but camper would slide to one side in wind, its funny I stopped to reset it and it took less than 5 mins to get blown back over, with no wind it centered itself no problem

its away now but thinking next year making a mold of plywood with a 2x6 cut down the center, it gives me little over 2 1/2 tall with 10 or 12 inches between, the plan the guys that make rubber paving and sidewalks here typically have some product left and would fill the mold, once set I have a couple rubber blocks 10 x 2 1/2 thick 8 feet long, use these for spacers its not slippery so should do the trick moving forward

1996 Kodiac camper, 1996 Dodge 2500 Diesel
1999 Fleetwood Discovery

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Yes, just keep it from sliding around. 
curious how โ€œaโ€ 2x10 is employed. Did you just run it across the front of the box to kick the nose up?

You could get crazy and build a whole wood or metal frame to raise it up and secure it from sliding or get a sheet of high density foam board. Put it in the bed, put your bed mat on top of it and the camper will be properly supported and not slide around. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Kidding

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III