Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about RDS gravity feed Aux Tank

gat75
Explorer
Explorer
Hello to All,
1st, thanks in advance for taking time to read my post. I have a 51 gallon RDS alum tank that I purchased new from NTool about 10 years ago. Used it regularly while traveling with my 2009 D/A 2500.

However, have not been on any long trips in couple of years, therefore have not needed the extra capacity. This past weekend, had to make 2 trips out of town, so I added 30 gallons to aux tank to save from making an extra fuel stop.

Later into the trip, I Got concerned about using the diesel from the tank, was wondering if tank might have had condensate in bottom of tank.

I know that the factory GM filter is supposed to catch any water coming to engine, still, just didn't want to chance ruining an injector. I also cannot find any drain plugs on the bottom of tank for test draining.

So, to this point, I have not allowed any fuel to drain out of aux tank. I got 30 galls of diesel sloshing around, just begging to be consumed, ha, ha.

Are my fears groundless??
16 REPLIES 16

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
jshupe wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Grab broom stick

Select major independent gas station like a Union 76 without mini store

Park

Ask for owner or manager

Beg him to put 3" worth of water detector paste on tip of broom stick

Stick broom stick into tank

If tip comes up red, then put your worries to work. If stick comes up colorless put worries to bed.

Every gas station has this paste. But the more the gas station looks like a 7-11 the less interest you will find in your project.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00207LS5M Might be nice to have on hand for $5...

Same as link above, but this formulation is approved for E10 fuels. The link above is not. (Of course, it costs $13.)

https://www.amazon.com/Gasoila-AP02-Purpose-Water-Finding/dp/B002M8KX1E/ref=pd_bxgy_328_3?ie=UTF8&ps...

Self or another crew member - (req'd) weekly diesel fuel tank "stickers" for 30 years.

Preferred product - "Kolor Kut Water Finding paste" (Google it).

Works for all petro products.

Reliability of fuel supplies for Fire App depended on it.
(500 gal diesel tanks. Never found any water, LOL!)

You don't need much - a tube lasts a looong time.

~

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
CJW8 wrote:
Some of us don't know what an RDS tank is. Real Darn Slick?

RDS is a brand. Google it.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Every gas station has this paste. But the more the gas station looks like a 7-11 the less interest you will find in your project.
Well, maybe no, and yes. Most filling stations in my area have employees tasked to keep the doughnuts displayed and sell cigarettes. I have never seen an employee stick a tank.

In a former career I lived and died with water finding paste. I ran a 100K gal barge for midstream fueling in St Paul harbor. We tended to get big swings in temp and the ambient fuel temp to river temp was always a differential.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
Some of us don't know what an RDS tank is. Real Darn Slick?
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

TheGatherer
Explorer
Explorer
I keep my RDS 70gal tank full, and every few months I open the valve and use it until the fuel guage begins to drop, then fill it up again. You just never know when fuel prices will skyrocket over $4 a gallon again.. On the other hand there are products to remove algae, and water, but on the water like the previous post drain out the bad stuff...

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
jshupe wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Grab broom stick

Park

Ask for owner or manager

If tip comes up red, then put your worries to work. If stick comes up colorless put worries to bed.

Same as link above, but this formulation is approved for E10 fuels. The link above is not. (Of course, it costs $13.)

https://www.amazon.com/Gasoila-AP02-Purpose-Water-Finding/dp/B002M8KX1E/ref=pd_bxgy_328_3?ie=UTF8&ps...
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Grab broom stick

Park

Ask for owner or manager

2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Grab broom stick

Park

Ask for owner or manager

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I disagree with the vent circulating new air into the tank to any minutia of a degree that it would even be measurable.

I ran an RDS 70 gal aux for 13 years and did not keep it filled during the off season. Nary a problem with water even without additives.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:
I once read up on this condensation thing and unless you left the cap off really the only condensation you would get is from the volume of air in the tank once. That would not amount to really anything. I too have a 50 gallon aux tank I haven't used in about three years. I don't think I would be concerned, but I too always use a additive which is suppose to help solve water problems.

I also have an RDS tank. These things all have a vent so there is a constant direct connection to outside air. All tanks will have some kind of vent system.

I agree with the person who said to sit your truck at an angle, then disconnect the line where it meets the OEM truck line and drain a little fuel out. Either that or just start running it and drain your fuel filter every day for a while.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I once read up on this condensation thing and unless you left the cap off really the only condensation you would get is from the volume of air in the tank once. That would not amount to really anything. I too have a 50 gallon aux tank I haven't used in about three years. I don't think I would be concerned, but I too always use a additive which is suppose to help solve water problems.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

gat75
Explorer
Explorer
mpierce wrote:
Specularius wrote:
If you are really worried, then park on a slope so that the fuel outlet is on the low side. Wait a couple of hours. Disconnect the hose from the fuel fill tube and place in a jug. Then open the valve and drain some out and inspect.If there is any moisture present, it will drain out first.

Good post.

Ditto on good post, Thanks to everyone for your input!

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same tank and always use a fuel conditioner which is supposed to take care of water. Never had a problem (knock on wood)
That stuff is supposed to help clean injectors and add lubicity too so I feel it's a small price to pay to avoid trouble

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Specularius wrote:
If you are really worried, then park on a slope so that the fuel outlet is on the low side. Wait a couple of hours. Disconnect the hose from the fuel fill tube and place in a jug. Then open the valve and drain some out and inspect.If there is any moisture present, it will drain out first.

Good post.