Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on fuse size

bsmith95610
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I recently had an issue with my AC going out while we had someone sleeping in our travel trailer. After checking all of the breakers and fuses on the trailer everything was good and I realized a breaker on the house was tripped so I flipped it back to on and the trailer AC came back on again.

During the above troubleshooting I realized that there is a 15 amp fuse in for the AC right now but on the label on the paper someone hand wrote in 7.5. I've heard it's not good to put in a fuse that is to large as a fire could get started. Should I switch out the 15 amp fuse for a 7.5 amp fuse? Then if that blows should I then try a 10 amp fuse and if that blows then just move back to the 15 amp fuse? Any help would be much appreciated everything is working now I just don't want to run into any electrical issues later on due to this fuse being to large. Below is a link to an image of the fuse panel.

Also do you think the three empty slots with no fuses are just extra slots right now?

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131539&d=1467126760

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The 7.5 amp fuse may NOT be the only appliance that fuse supplies. The RVP(Coleman) wall tstats have a fuse protection on the tstat(usually 5 amp or 3 amp). Dometic AC units the fuse is in the upper control board (3 amp). So, that feed 7.5 amp fuse, I would put a 7.5 amp in it. IF it blows, find out what other 12 volt items are also dead, not just the AC unit. OR, pull the fuse and check to see what 12 volt appliances/lights have NO 12 volt power other than the Roof AC tstat system. Then determine if you need a higher amp fuse. Doug

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many RV air conditioners use both 120vac and 12VDC

The 120VAC will come off a breaker, Generally a 20 amp breaker, in the main 120 volt power distribution panel.

The DC off the fuse panel.. and yes, 7.5 may be proper.. I doubt the 15 amp fuse will cause a problem but you mignt try a 7.5.. Actuall load on that circuit should only be 1-4 amps or less depending on one or two A/C's and on or off.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
The other guys are all right ๐Ÿ™‚

The little Buss fuse is a 12v fuse. Your AC should be on a dedicated 20 amp breaker in the Rv's load panel, and you should be plugged into a 20 amp circuit in your house.
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
See response at other forum where you posted question......:B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fuse panel you are showing is the 12VDC FUSE PANEL.

Your Air COnditioner is operated from 120VAC and will have a CIRCUIT BREAKER in the Power Distribution panel controlling it. You will see the 120VAC Circuit breakers to the left of your photo shown here.

The only requirement for the 12VDC with the Air Conditioner is to power up the thermostat...

bsmith image

If you are plugged into a 15-AMP Receptacle in the house/garage using an extension cord and RV Adapter then your RV air condition can trip your house 15A breaker during heavy use. You may have other items in the house also using power from the same 120VAC circuit breaker zone.

My house was wired with 12gauge electrical wiring and I have a separate 20AMP Circuit breaker that was installed for a compressor unit in the garage. This is the only thing on the 20AMP Circuit. I use this for my RV connection using a RV LONG Adapter cord.

In you case I would find a 15A Circuit breaker zone that doesn't have any other appliances or lights on the same circuit if possible. The garage is always a good place to plug in and usually it only has a few lights and a couple of 120VAC receptacles scattered around the wall. Just keep the lights OFF and make sure nothing is plugged in to any of the garage recepacles...

Just my thoughts here...
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

red31
Explorer
Explorer
'7.5 ac', what does that mean?

fischer
Explorer
Explorer
I think 15 amp fuse. would be correct for your AC
the 7.5 is probably what your AC draws you are ok
My class a has a 20 amp fuse and draws 12 when running
2016 Winnebago 35B v10
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Blue ox Tow Bar

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yes replace with a 7.5 amp fuse. If the 7.5 opens... fix the issue causing overload and replace with 7.5 amp.

BTW the 15a home circuit is a bit undersize for running the air conditioner. It may work most of the time but anything extra will open the breaker. Still may experience nuisance tripping periodically. No do not install a 20 amp breaker without increasing the wire size.

On Edit: Actually you did not post the breaker size that tripped....

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
The air conditioner is run via 120VAC, and will have its own circuit breaker.

The fuse in question powers what exactly? Something that was added... Thermostat maybe? Something the previous owner did. Pull the fuse and see what stops working. Unless the wire is small (18ga or smaller), I wouldn't worry about the fuse being a 15A.

The empty slots are usually spares. I added a 12V cig-style plug near the bed in my trailer for a car charger for my phone, and used one of the spare slots and added the appropriate fuse for the wire I pulled (15A).
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny