cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

questions.... I have them.. :D

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
1) the fresh water tank fill on my motorhome is the kind where you have to hook up a hose and have pressure on it, to fill, just like the "city water". I would prefer to have a gravity fill so water can be added from a jug, or from a hose, using this adapter that I already have. I also really dislike messing around with screwing the hose on.

Question 1: How big a deal would it be to change out that opening and is it something a person with a few skills could do herself?

I'm also planning to winterize by blowing out the lines, rather than pink stuff (except the traps, of course.) I may go back and forth a few times a year doing this, so it seems less hassle than removing all the stuff in the storage space, taking off a panel, using the pump, and then reversing the process before very long. I have a small compressor and hose.

Question 2: Is this the fitting I need?

Question 3: Are there any particular pitfalls to winterizing using compressed air? I've been googling around and reading here.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board
32 REPLIES 32

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
coolmom42 wrote:
BFL13 wrote:
The clear plastic hoses that go on the drill-pump take up some room. Need a place for the thing with the hoses coiled. Also the hoses need to be clean before using with potable water. They can get yucky in storage put away wet. I first ran some boiling water through.

Makes sense that they would need to be sanitized like the water system, and dried out between uses. Thanks for the reminder. Hoping I won't have to do this very often, but it's a distinct possibility.

Been a long time so memory not so good, but ISTR you had to jam the pump end against the side of the trailer or hold it with your other hand so it would not spin.

To get lift, ISTR the water would rise in the inlet hose from the bucket but stall out, so you had to lower the whole thing to get the water into the pump and then raise it so the outlet hose could go in the fill opening. Perhaps a form of "priming", not sure. Vague memory.

Obvious afterwards!, but hose lengths--figure that out before cutting --don't forget the RV might be higher on that side off the ground due to levelling boards under the tires. Of course you can also set the bucket on a folding stool to reduce the lift.

Don't have a cordless drill, but you would need a way to recharge it. ISTR they are one of the things that need a PSW inverter and won't take MSW-not sure.

You will figure it all out once you try it
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
DrewE wrote:

In my experience, if the campground has a dump station, there's nearly always a (pressure) potable water fill there or nearby, as well, which you can hook a hose up to--even if there are no hose connections elsewhere.

Most of the dump station hoses I've seen have the threads cut off. They all say "do not use for potable water." I'm assuming the warning is due to the way people use them, to rinse out sewer hoses and such. I've seen first hand too many things like that go on, to want to use that hose for potable water.

I wasn't talking about hoses to rinse out the sewer hose and dump station area, but rather a separate, additional potable water fill station. Most dump stations I've seen have both a rinse hose and a fill hose or spigot, the latter with potable water and the former signed as non-potable water (understandably so, even when it ultimately comes from the same supply). For sure I don't suggest connecting the rinse hose to your potable water fill!

I will start paying closer attention when driving by. Thanks for the reminder!
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
BFL13 wrote:
The clear plastic hoses that go on the drill-pump take up some room. Need a place for the thing with the hoses coiled. Also the hoses need to be clean before using with potable water. They can get yucky in storage put away wet. I first ran some boiling water through.

Makes sense that they would need to be sanitized like the water system, and dried out between uses. Thanks for the reminder. Hoping I won't have to do this very often, but it's a distinct possibility.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
coolmom42 wrote:
DrewE wrote:

In my experience, if the campground has a dump station, there's nearly always a (pressure) potable water fill there or nearby, as well, which you can hook a hose up to--even if there are no hose connections elsewhere.

Most of the dump station hoses I've seen have the threads cut off. They all say "do not use for potable water." I'm assuming the warning is due to the way people use them, to rinse out sewer hoses and such. I've seen first hand too many things like that go on, to want to use that hose for potable water.

I wasn't talking about hoses to rinse out the sewer hose and dump station area, but rather a separate, additional potable water fill station. Most dump stations I've seen have both a rinse hose and a fill hose or spigot, the latter with potable water and the former signed as non-potable water (understandably so, even when it ultimately comes from the same supply). For sure I don't suggest connecting the rinse hose to your potable water fill!

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Photo in Profile

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think I may go with a transfer pump run off a cordless drill. I have an inexpensive cordless drill that should work, and can stay in the RV as a dedicated drill. HF has an inexpensive transfer pump. According to the specs, it has enough lift to pull water out of a container sitting on the ground, and fill the tank quickly.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
Will one of those water thief adapter things hold on well enough to get a pressurized fill? Or do they pop off pretty easily? I've only ever used one for a gravity fill tank.

From the Amazon listing:

NOTE: Discharge end of hose must remain open while in operation. Water Bandit is not designed to hold back pressure.

That's what I thought. Thanks!

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:

Campgrounds without water at the site (common around here) often have unthreaded faucets scattered around. Will one of those water thief adapter things hold on well enough to get a pressurized fill? Or do they pop off pretty easily? I've only ever used one for a gravity fill tank.

At least in my experience with my RV, I need to refill the fresh water tank at about the time the gray water tank is getting full-ish. Thus, I've yet to require a water thief. That said, I most certainly haven't been camping at the exact same parks you have been.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
I added a thumb style hose clamp to my water thief. It then clamps to unthreaded faucet allowing me to use it to fill tank under pressure. I carry a short Bungee cord to wrap around the post of those faucets that are spring loaded. You still need to keep an eye on hose while filling for safety!
thumb screw hose clamp

That's an option too. Thanks for the suggestion.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
coolmom42 wrote:

Campgrounds without water at the site (common around here) often have unthreaded faucets scattered around. Will one of those water thief adapter things hold on well enough to get a pressurized fill? Or do they pop off pretty easily? I've only ever used one for a gravity fill tank.

At least in my experience with my RV, I need to refill the fresh water tank at about the time the gray water tank is getting full-ish. Thus, I've yet to require a water thief. That said, I most certainly haven't been camping at the exact same parks you have been.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I added a thumb style hose clamp to my water thief. It then clamps to unthreaded faucet allowing me to use it to fill tank under pressure. I carry a short Bungee cord to wrap around the post of those faucets that are spring loaded. You still need to keep an eye on hose while filling for safety!
thumb screw hose clamp

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan wrote:
Haha thanks for the link BFL! We don't have Princess Auto down here in the states and I've only seen that type can in red for gasoline. So you don't need a funnel but you still need a chair...

I use a collapsible 20L jug that stores easy.

Whole bunch of them you can get at stateside on here. Some with the spouts that would work. 10L size would be easier to lift up for pouring. The same blue 20L is there too, scroll down.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Scepter+water+can&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
Photo in Profile

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
coolmom42 wrote:
Will one of those water thief adapter things hold on well enough to get a pressurized fill? Or do they pop off pretty easily? I've only ever used one for a gravity fill tank.

From the Amazon listing:

NOTE: Discharge end of hose must remain open while in operation. Water Bandit is not designed to hold back pressure.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Haha thanks for the link BFL! We don't have Princess Auto down here in the states and I've only seen that type can in red for gasoline. So you don't need a funnel but you still need a chair...

I use a collapsible 20L jug that stores easy.