cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

quick safety question

ashnic
Explorer
Explorer
We always put rope soft white lights under our campers..I have attached them with zip ties to the frame and leave in..never been a issue. Well we just got our outback and was getting ready to put on the rope lights crawled underneath and the bottom is completely smooth other then the gas line. no holes in the frame or anything very smooth My question is is it unsafe to attach the rope light to the gas line? I mean I have never heard of anyone gas line leaking but I assume it could happen just wondering your thoughts
2012 2500HD GMC Sierra
2011 Outback 295RE
7 REPLIES 7

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
Guys, I think the OP is talking hanging a string on 1/2 inch iron pipe.

I would do it in a heart beat.

Which is schedule 40 pipe. No problem, no worries.

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Guys, I think the OP is talking hanging a string on 1/2 inch iron pipe.

I would do it in a heart beat.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I think it's probably a safe place to mount them but your talking about such a volatile thing that's it's just wise to avoid hanging anything on it. You just never know what could happen.
The folks here that are against it just have a healthy respect for such things.

ashnic
Explorer
Explorer
The black propane line is exactly what I was talking about...
2012 2500HD GMC Sierra
2011 Outback 295RE

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can safely zip tie your rope lights to the propane line, it should be 1/2" black pipe so very study and well secured. Two other alternatives:

Go with a zip tie that has a mounting screw hold in the end like this:

Use a self drilling screw to go through the coroplast under belly and into the frame.

Or, use an adhesive mounting tab like this:

Stick it to the coroplast and thread the zip tie through it. These hold pretty well if you clean off the underbelly attaching point good with some rubbing alcohol.

Both of these are available in Home Depot or Lowe's in the electrical section.

Although I don't know how the adhesive holds up in wet weather. You sure don't want it to let go when you are going down the road. Not that the rope lights are that valuable but you don't want it getting tangled up in the running gear.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the gas line and clips used to hold gas line are impacted/stressed/weakened by hanging some rope lighting then you need to rethink reinstalling the gas line.

Remember it has to stay put while bouncing down the road

You can also get some metal clips.....remove a screw in underbelly and attach rope lighting using the clip and reinstalling the underbelly screw(s)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't recommend it. What about trying Command hooks to hold the rope light. They come right off if they don't work out.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator