Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

recommendations on tire pressure monitors

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I was planning on a long trip next week. The tires needed to be rotated. During that process one of my three year old Toyo tires (inside driver's rear) was found to have a tread separation and zero tire pressure.

I do check my tires but clearly this could have been an expensive lesson.

Please tell me which tire pressure monitoring system you would get and why.

I will want 7 sensors for tires and 2 for air bags.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
29 REPLIES 29

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
You had 3 sensor issues in how many years of use? I have had 1 sensor fail in 9 years. Maybe that is the difference.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
I have looked at several. All appear to look the same. Programming is the same. Even the holders. Sensors appear to be the same.

My question is: What is the difference? I don't see any. My first set was TST. One sensor wouldn't program and 2 of the remaining gave false readings. IMO, they are very close if not the same. From numerous questions and testimonials here, they all seem to have a few problems.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
My new tire monitor got a work out this week. Went to a horse camp back in the wilderness that has no electric. It's about 7 miles back on dirt road. I took the wrong dirt road and had a couple of close calls when the dirt road ran through a stream of water which had torn up the road.
As I pulled into the entry way of the camp a loud beeping rang out. Initially, I didn't know what it was... thought it was my buddies cell phone. finally looked down and moved some stuff out of the way and saw my tire traker red light blinking and saying rapid loss of air on a trailer tire. Let it sit overnight then changed the tire the next morning. Then on the return trip about 12 miles from home it started beeping and the red light started blinking. Another trailer tire with was loosing air. I run my trailer tires at 75 psi and the when the alarm came on the pressure was 35 psi. I went ahead and drove home since it was midnight. Next morning the tire pressure read 19 psi.
The first flat was probably due to being on a dirt road I should not have been on and it was a triangle shaped rock still wedged in the tire. The second flat was caused by I believe clipping a curb when pulling into a convience store late at night. The leak was on the sidewall. Both tires were not repairable... ๐Ÿ˜ž Had to replace. My trailer is a 3 horse living quarter trailer and I had 2 horses onboard, so quite a bit of weight. Anyway, the tire monitor did do it's job ๐Ÿ™‚

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Harvey51 - all 3 times were punctures while moving. Driving on the interstate, dash monitor starts beeping red LED lights up, check display - it flashes the pressure and temperature of the problem tire. Had I simply checked it that morning, it would have been at full pressure. With the rate of air loss if I had kept driving it could have been real expensive (new tire, maybe rim, maybe blow-out). 3rd time we were on a gravel forest service road, no cell service. Apparently went over sharp rock just right (or wrong...). Managed to get rig to a wide spot that was fairly level so I could change out that tire. Without monitor would have simply continued up this narrow road... Recalled a 4th incident, too. In the Blue Ridge Mountains, just as I noticed I had elevated temps in a front wheel, realized I had spongy brakes. Apparently caliper had stuck, heated the rim enough to raise tire temperature. Wasn't hot enough to cause system to alarm, but if I had been more observant of the display I might have noticed it climbing even quicker, maybe before brakes faded. Either way, I knew which wheel was the issue. Let it cool, proceeded carefully. Nice thing is no horror stories to share! Certainly happy to have it on the toad now - no issues there so far - couldn't imagine dragging my Suby with a flat for hundreds of miles... that would be generally bad...!!! ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Singleminded
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Singleminded,

Does it beep or just flash when there is a problem?

Do the sensor batteries let you know when they need replacement?

My wife heard it beep (better hearing) and I had my eyes on the road...I believe the batteries do indicate when they need replacing, but the manual is in my truck (in the shop for a couple of days)
Lifelong 'rag-bagger', now sailing on wheels!

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
RAS43 wrote:
I have had the Pressure Pro system for 9 years, with 10 sensors on my truck, 5th wheel and boat trailer. Had 1 sensor fail 3 years ago but no other problems and original sensors have the original batteries. I do not full time so sensors come off for the 4 months I am at home. Service has been great when needed.

I'm almost full time with PP also with 10 sensors for 9 years. No sensor failures. They improved the seals once but sent an upgrade kit at no charge. They have accurately warned me of slow leaks twice. Most recently last week.

No experience with other brands so I can't compare but they work.
Larry

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Singleminded,

Does it beep or just flash when there is a problem?

Do the sensor batteries let you know when they need replacement?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Singleminded
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a TT-500 and installed them on the four tires on our TT (already have a TP monitor on our TV) in August.

Day two of a month long trip (+4500km) the monitor indicated a problem....pulled over...low pressure in one tire. Made it into a local tire shop to discover a leaking valve. Half an hour and $25.00 later, back on the road!

Worked for me!
Lifelong 'rag-bagger', now sailing on wheels!

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
loggenrock wrote:
Hi Don - been running TST system for almost 10 years, close to 100k miles. Dependable, great customer service, has saved me 3 times so far. ST

Thanks for the testimonial. Will you tell us about the three times? I'm wondering if you would have caught any of them with a walk around or morning pressure check.

I have only driven the motorhome 30 000 km in 8 years (with no tire incidents) but close to a million over 50 years, all vehicles counted, with one blowout on a 3/4 ton van which handled very well. I caught slow leaks several times by checking pressures occasionally. Also had sudden loss of pressure from punctures several times, mostly on gravel roads years ago, and noticed the problems immediately.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Don - been running TST system for almost 10 years, close to 100k miles. Dependable, great customer service, has saved me 3 times so far. As for cold weather... I pull the monitors off the stems when I park it for the winter (saves the batteries - no pressure turns them off...). Can't see any reason they wouldn't work simply due to cold - give TST a call - odds are they can answer that for you. Their system was intended for over-the-road trucks, not RV's, so those guys don't park their rigs for the winter. The one winter issue I could see is the monitors do cause the stems to extend a bit further. Not an issue on my rear duals, recessed into the dish, but on the fronts I could see where they may attract snow/slush/ice, or snag if you are driving in deep snow, etc. They do recommend metal valve stems - I had a tire shop just install regular brass truck stems up front, but went with specialty dually valve stems from Borg to mount them on the rears. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
cmeade wrote:
We have the TST 507 non flow thru due to problems I heard that the flow thru have. It only takes a few seconds to remove the sensor with the tool to add air. The TPMS has been great for about 5k mi towing. Would recommend getting sensors for spare tires on TV and towed unit and think sensors for airbags is overkill. TST 507 can handle 22 tires if needed.
I have the flow-through design and I would not bother if I did it again. The flow-through sensors have a lot of air restriction and adding only 5 psi is quicker if you take the sensor off, add air, and put the sensor back on than if you use the flow-through to add air. It would be a great feature if there weren't so much restriction.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks folks,

Has anyone used them in -30 weather?
Regards, Don

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had the Pressure Pro system for 9 years, with 10 sensors on my truck, 5th wheel and boat trailer. Had 1 sensor fail 3 years ago but no other problems and original sensors have the original batteries. I do not full time so sensors come off for the 4 months I am at home. Service has been great when needed.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
cmeade wrote:
We have the TST 507 non flow thru due to problems I heard that the flow thru have. It only takes a few seconds to remove the sensor with the tool to add air. The TPMS has been great for about 5k mi towing. Would recommend getting sensors for spare tires on TV and towed unit and think sensors for airbags is overkill. TST 507 can handle 22 tires if needed.

The reason I purchased them was because of the flow through capability. Why purchase something only to have to come up with a work-around. Not only that, but due to the design, one of them started leaking air out of the body on me. TST replaced it under warranty, but the warranty is only two years. When others offer a lifetime warranty, it just doesn't make sense to deal with a flawed design.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)