cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Remote Control Thermostat?

StewB
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone found a remote control thermostat that works on an RV? I only have a furnace, no AC. Do not want a programmable one.

Would be nice to start furnace without getting out of bed on cold mornings.
17 REPLIES 17

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
If your thermostat has an ON-OFF switch, just buy a single circuit on-off 12vdc switch with an RF fob.

About $5.00 on eBay. Try link below.

eBay
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could use a remote switch but it would not turn the heat off until you manually turn it off.

https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Wireless-Control-1-Channel-Transmitters/dp/B071WM1YGS/ref=asc_df_B071W...

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Furnace should be easy. Just jump the wires with a remote switch.
Heat only thermostat probably has no 12v or other power to it.

Otherwise I agree.... just get up and adjust it already. Crawl back into bed if you must.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
RV t-stats are 12v dc, home t-stats are 24v ac....

diveman52
Explorer
Explorer
Try this, works fro my pellet stove.https://www.amazon.com/Durablow-TR1003-Fireplace-Control-Thermostat/dp/B01N422YKD/ref=pd_sim_201_11?...
40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4035

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
I went the cheap route in my last camper. I mounted a small switch next to the bed and ran a wire pair back to the thermostat. The switch disables the thermostat nothing more, so the camper coasts till I get cold or morning when I throw the switch. Very fine wire can be used so fairly easy to hide.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I wired a second thermostat in parallel with the factory thermostat. The one I installed is by the bed. Whichever thermostat is at the higher temperature will be in control.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Goooogle Nest thermostat is on sale right now, many energy companies giving generous rebate too.

But you'll have to keep your smart phone in reach, and have a hotspot running 24x7 in your RV.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
How do you set a manual T-Stat in advance to be warmer in the morning than it was that night?
OP does not want a programmable one.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Set t-stat temp BEFORE going to bed :S
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
In that scenario, you have to get up to go to the bathroom, can't wait for the RV to heat up. So just turn up the thermostat on the way by. (or that might be just for we oldies!)
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
All these silly answers aside, I have Lux. Works great. Unfortunately currently unavailable. I'm sure there are others.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Get your lazy butt out of bed
Dennis Hoppert

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
One option might be to wire a thermostat within reach of the bed. For the furnace you should be able to just connect the two in parallel; if either one calls for heat, the furnace runs. Or the only thermostat could be one near the bed, perhaps. Running the wires in many RVs might be a bit of a challenge.

While you don't want one, this is one thing a programmable thermostat does very nicely on its own assuming you have a somewhat predictable morning routine (or at least predictable hours).