cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Remote start generators - no load at start?

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering picking up a remote start generator (something along the lines of a Champion 3400 watt). Reading the operation manual, it says that you cannot remote start the generator under load. Doesn't that entirely defeat the purpose of having a remote start? What's the point of starting it up with the remove and then having to go out and plug in the power shore cable? What are some of the ways of getting around this (maybe only plugging in the converter/charger with a wall switch on off until generator warms up?)
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter
20 REPLIES 20

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
The load isn't on as it spins up at start. It takes a few seconds for power to show on my microwave. After running several seconds I then turn on ac or toaster etc. Been working fine for 5 years. Honda 3000

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
phemens wrote:
What's the point of starting it up with the remove and then having to go out and plug in the power shore cable?

The point IS that they get more of your money.

IF....remote start is REALLY a valuable feature for you, shop for one that is really designed for that.....instead of one that has that added on without the proper engineering.

A good generator with remote start, or automatic start, will have an engineered automatic connection delay built in, so that it comes up to speed and voltage before the load is connected.

When you price a properly designed generator, you might decide that you don't need remote start after all.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
remote start generators have a delay before enabling power, otherwise they would never start due to the present load on the windings.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
EMS = Emergency Medical System? Ethyl MethaneSulfonate? Earthen Manure Storage?? Inquiring minds want to know.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
One good way to prevent starting under load, and simultaneously adding a valuable feature to your RV, is to install an EMS system. They generally have a turn-on delay ranging from several seconds to a couple minutes. It would be necessary to use a bonding plug on the generator so the EMS doesn't complain of an open (unbonded) ground connection.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well their manual says the same thing about their non-remote start gens and I have one and it starts just fine under load. It stutters for a fraction of a second. I notice that the generator itself does not apply the load for a second or so after starting. The extension cord I have has an LED light and it stays dark for a second or so before turning on.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper