cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Remote thermostat control?

AJBert
Explorer
Explorer
I've searched, both on here and online , high and low trying to find an aftermarket replacement thermostat that I can control from the confines of my nice, warm bed rather than getting up in the cold morning and turning up the furnace. DW and I both like to sleep under the covers with the ambient temp rather on the cool side.

We have a '15 StarCraft AR-One that has the very plain Attwood Hydro Flame Furnace thermostat is for heat only. I've found a couple of r/c tstats but only for both heating and cooling.

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!
15 REPLIES 15

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I would just get one of those eBay remote relays- a couple of ways to hook it up- either just bypass the thermostat and close the circuit, or install a second thermostat and switch between them.
-- Chris Bryant

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Joe417 wrote:
Here's one. It's called "phone controlled" but in reading about it, the phone control is a separate add on.

You'll have to add the IR remote so the total cost would be less than $90.

http://www.diycontrols.com/p-6798-venstar-phone-controlled-thermostat-t1700-residential.aspx

I'm not familiar with the company so don't know about the quality.

You may not have Internet or cell service, you might as well pay for the IR
Personally I'd just have the wife get up and turn the heat up. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
Here's one. It's called "phone controlled" but in reading about it, the phone control is a separate add on.

You'll have to add the IR remote so the total cost would be less than $90.

http://www.diycontrols.com/p-6798-venstar-phone-controlled-thermostat-t1700-residential.aspx

I'm not familiar with the company so don't know about the quality.
Joe and Evelyn

AJBert
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty sure a wifi one won't work for me as where I camp there are no hot spots. Heck, there isn't even cell phone signals. Plus, I've got a dumb phone. I'll look more into the dual ones and ignore the A/C function or the programmable ones.

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Sure is a lot of money to not get up and change the setting
A call of nature awaits me every morn so I have to get up anyway
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP was asking about a remote thermostat. Here's one on Amazon

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
You only need to buy one that runs on batteries to use it
Available as low as $10 for a programable one at big box hardware stores
We don't program ours - just set desired temp and use the " hold " button.
Can't quite see what the OP's objection is to one that also controls AC
One just doesn't hook any wires to that part .
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking to replace mine. After 20 years, it really doesn't know what temp it is. Does it matter that house t-stats run on 24v AC and the one in the bus is 12v DC? Do I need an RV-only thermostat?
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I installed an electronic stat in the original location and relocated the original manual stat to a location by the bed. I wired both stats in parallel so whichever has the higher setting will control the heat.

In the morning before leaving the covers, I increase the stat by the bed to get the furnace going. Later I turn that stat back down and use the electronic stat.

I ran the wiring through the existing cabinetry using Wiremold surface mount conduit so there is no exposed wiring.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

kampinguru
Explorer
Explorer
Hook it up to the clapper ๐Ÿ™‚
2000 F-250 S/B 4X4
2005 Cedar Creek 30RLBS
Pullrite Superglide 16K

AJBert
Explorer
Explorer
I like the toggle switch idea but the thermostat is on the opposite end of the trailer from the bed. Not sure my better half would like wires run across the length of the trailer.

I'll have to look into the programmable thermostats. Haven't even thought about that.

I just find it hard to believe no one makes a remote for just heat only. I have a very simple set up and thought this would something easy to find.

Appreciate everyone's response!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
we just installed a programmable thermostat set for 45 at night and have the trailer at 68 by 8am. works fine.

might be easier than a remote thermostat
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Not exactly what you are asking for, but it is cheap. We depend on the bedding to keep us warm at night but don't like to get up in the cold. I took the existing thermostat a part and attached wires inside to the on/off switch contacts and ran them to a spot I could reach from bed and installed a mini-toggle switch. The wires can be very thin not much current flowing. I leave the thermostat set to a reasonable temperature and the on/off switch set to off. Now I wake up and if it feels a little cold, I just reach out and flip the toggle switch and take a short nap till the temperature is about right.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Also maybe a programmable one...Lot of inexpensive options out there that will work..

Set it to have the heat go on about a half hour before you get up.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro