cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replace fan in Xantrex 458 Freedom 30?

tallpall888
Explorer
Explorer
If there is a fan in mine it is silent and the unit is experiencing "overtemp" every five minutes.

A small desk fan directed toward the vents has temporarily rectified this.

Would like to open the unit up and replace the fan. If anyone has done this before would you tell me which part of the Xantrex to open?
5 REPLIES 5

tallpall888
Explorer
Explorer
Found that the overheat condition was happening only when the unit was working hard to recharge a four battery bank. (that's another story that brought up this fan question...had a short across two wirenuts inside the Xantrex where the AC was wired to it. This happened without a smell we detected or a sound we could hear, so the Xantrex switched over to battery only so we ran on inverter for two days, running the washing machine, two tvs and both fridges and lots of lights before the problem was noticed).
So my batts were down to 11v and needed to be charged now that the
xantrex was repaired. That's when the overheat condition was noted.

The temporary fan worked, so thought up an alternate plan.

I am loathe to have to get the Xantrex out of it's mounting area as doing do would mean having to disconnect all wiring...a lot of it heavy duty. I know because had to cut some of it back to replace the shorted parts.... didn't want to do it all over again.

So, got a 12v computer type box fan and ordered a 95 degree thermal switch off of ebay (3 for about 10 bucks...I can use the others back home). When it's working normally and not having to do heavy charging or inverting, the unit is cool to the touch....in fact it is hard to find a warm spot on the case.

Will power the fan from a nearby 12v basement lamp (left on with bulb removed). Mount the switch on top of the unit at the warmest spot, and clip the fan on the bottom to blow air up thru the unit when it switches on.

Thank you gentlemen for your responses.

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 458 has a cooling fan on the right side of the case

Jim

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
I have had mine apart a few times and don't recall seeing a fan.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure the 12volts and 120 volts power is disconnected. Then start by opening up the most likely place first.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have you looked at page 8 of the manual where it references over temp condition?
You could have issues on the output of the unit.
I believe there is a fan. Yes, it or the temperature control circuit could be bad.
I would read through the manual for checking output conditions.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker