cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

replaceing converter jayco

epbigfoot
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if anyone has ever replaced their converter? Looks like a lot of wires. when you buy a new one does instructions cover the removal of the old possibly? Any special tools needed? Thanks in advance for any help.
4 REPLIES 4

epbigfoot
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. will call Randy at Best Converters and explain problem. Maybe not so bad afterall. (I hope)

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
Many on here have replaced theirs. I have replace several. I have a brand new Raptor that came with the dreadful WFCO converter. I didn't even use it one day and I have unplugged it and installed a Xantrex TrueCharge 2 charger right next to the batteries. Third WFCO I have replaced. The WFCO was chugging away 4 amps/13.6 volts the whole time before it got the boot. As soon as I turned on the Xantrex, it went up to 37 amps/14.4 volts.

So you may not have to deal with all those wires if you can install a new converter close to the batteries.
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I recently replaced the IOTA DLS-45 converter in our Jayco Greyhawk with a Progressive Dynamics PD9245C. What type of converter do you currently have?

The only connections on the IOTA and the PD were positive and negative from the battery and the chassis ground wire. The unit also gets plugged into a standard 110v outlet. No special tools required.

Jayco put our converter under the refrigerator behind the auto-transfer switch making it a pain to get the old one out and the new one in. It took a lot longer than it should have. I was envious of the folks that have them under their beds!

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
What you want to do is not replace the whole POWER DISTRIBUTION CENTER but just the converter/charger unit.

Contact RANDY at BEST CONVERTERS and tell him what you have and what has failed. He will recommend which converter will fit your current POWER DISTRIBUTION CENTER and you only just purchase the CONVERTER/CHARGER UNIT that usually mounts in the bottom compartment area. Just be sure to tell Randy you want a smart mode multivoltage unit and do not want a WFCO product. PD and IOTA are the most popular ones...

The CONVERTER/CHARGER units only connects to 120VAC (usually a 120VAC power plug is included) and three to four cables associated only with the 12VDC OUTPUT connections.

All of the DC FUSES and AC Circuit breakers in the original POWER DISTRIBUTION PANEL stay the same as before...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS