Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacement for Sharp R820BK microwave

kmack
Explorer
Explorer
Long story, but the short of it is...
Accidentally plugged MH into 220V instead 110V (property owner wired the 30 amp plug for 220V by mistake). Only fried the TV (no big deal, barely used it) and the microwave.

The micro is a Sharp R-820BK micro/convection oven. Pulled the unit out to see what I could do. Looked into replacing fuses. Found one fuse that is still good. I have power to the capacitor, the transformer, and wires going into the front panel. Front panel shows no signs of life.

So...options are:
- Another fuse I haven't found (wishful thinking)
- replace unit with another one as this model is discontinued

MH is a 2002 Fleetwood Jamboree GT (31')

Has anyone replaced this model Sharp with another unit? Ideas?
6 REPLIES 6

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
deleted
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

kmack
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man wrote:
Purchased it from Home Depot online for a bit over $150 last year, our rig is currently being used by my brother and his family so I don't have the model # handy.

I would greatly appreciate the info when you get the chance. Thanks!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
This is the first time I have read of the converter surviving the incident.
Any replacement MW is fine just so it fits.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had the same Sharp model which finally gave up the ghost after 9 years of heavy usage. Although discontinued there is a new version that has been greatly improved, we find it performs better across the board and since it has the exact same dimensions, it fit like a glove with the existing trim molding. Purchased it from Home Depot online for a bit over $150 last year, our rig is currently being used by my brother and his family so I don't have the model # handy.

kmack
Explorer
Explorer
You can get a replacement front panel for the Sharp, but it runs about $200+... I could also have a repair place look at the unit, but it's an $80 service fee that may not tell me anything I don't already know. Based on the voltage it took, I'm not really holding my breath for an easy fix.

Even if I replace the panel, it still may not fix my issue. And at that price point, I might as well replace the entire unit.

Since this microwave is 15 yrs old, I figured someone, somewhere has replaced one with a similar size unit, and maybe they could shed some light as to which one(s) work best in an RV.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do be careful rooting around inside the microwave. The high voltage power supply can very, very easily be lethal if it zaps you. Microwaves are probably the most dangerous common appliance to work on from an electrical point of view.

Have you tried looking up the part number for the front panel/control board? Maybe you can get it as a separate part. Maybe it is even less expensive than a similar new microwave/convection oven.

Otherwise, replacing it oughtn't be too tricky of a task; just find one with the features you want that will fit in the space. Amazon, for instance, lists a number of convection microwaves that are very close to the same size, within a fraction of an inch.