cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacement Power Convert advice

jeanacr
Explorer
Explorer
Seems the Power Converter on my 1988 Gulftream Regatta has gone bad. It keeps sucking the battery dry and I can't use any DC power. Currently installed is this old style 45 am Converter with batter charger.
Input 6/8 ams 120 VAC 60 Hz
Output 45 ams 12VDC includes 3 amp charging rate
12 VDC fuse block - Max Fuse Size: 20 amp

Clast CTL panelboard - Type 1

Series 6300 Model 6345
Options: CDOH1

I've seen replacements for this that look virtually the same and I've seen where others have replaced this and the fuse panel with an Intelli-Power model.

Recommendations? Suggestions? Opinions?

Thanks,

Jeana

1988 Gulfstream Regatta
27 Ft. Class A
"Betsy"
9 REPLIES 9

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Let me say this about the PD 4645: GOOD CHOICE!!!!!!!
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jeanacr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the quick replies!! I've done some other research too and I'm going with the PD4645 and will try to install it myself.

Wish me luck!!!

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
If the distance from the existing converter to the battery bank is long (over 10 feet) you should see if you can fit a deck mount converter close to the batteries instead of installing a new "lower portion" converter.

I supplemented my WFCO with a deck-mounted 55A IOTA. 3' to the batteries and faster charge times off a generator.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
PD US made, had some difficulty with mine called them Tuesday afternoon and had the replacement the following morning via Fed Ex.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't replace the 6300 with a 7300 using that kit nor replace it with the Ultra kit or you end up with the dreaded WFCO.

That leaves the PowerMax or PD as a replacement, either of which will work well.

If the distance from the existing converter to the battery bank is long (over 10 feet) you should see if you can fit a deck mount converter close to the batteries instead of installing a new "lower portion" converter.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I recommend the PD4645 as a replacement for your Magnetec 6345

Do not let Randy sell you a WFCO based upgrade kit.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My recommendation is always a Progressive Dynamics, 9245 is one model that will work,,,, Or they make one that is more likely to fit in the cabinet where the existing converter fits,, Electronically identical but packaged a bit different

Randy at Best Converters will know the model number.

When I got my motor home I did a lot of research on Converters.. NONE were better than the Progressive Dynamics 9200,, a few as good several I'd rank in the "None better" class for one reason or another, but none better.

Made, or at least assembled, in the USA, these were designed by RVers for RVers.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Contact these folks Best Converter..ask Randy LINK

Tell him what you have, want you need...he'll set you up. Good folks, great company
x2

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Contact these folks Best Converter..ask Randy LINK

Tell him what you have, want you need...he'll set you up. Good folks, great company
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31