cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Size Generator needed

Inthecountry
Explorer
Explorer
I have tried finding out this info on my own, but, still am unsure.

I am getting a new to the market A/C. It's much smaller than your average window a/c's. It comes out next year. I will post a link to it. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kurt/noria-cool-redefined

I am hoping to stay with a 2000W and only need the one. I am also looking to get the Predator 2000 but am open to getting the Honda 2200i if need be.

The last thing I want is to get a 3500 or to double the 2000's. Too heavy and too much room on both of those options. But, I know it is what it is.

Here are the specs from the a/c company, (they never gave me the start up wattage, I have since emailed and asked):

The Kapsul W5 is a 480 W, 110-120 V AC appliance which will draw 4.5 amps in normal use. However, it will briefly draw much larger current when the compressor starts so, we recommend a minimum 2-kilowatt (2,000 W) inverter when using solar or DC power supplies.

This was also on a separate page: Approximately 460-480 watts, for an EER we estimate to be 10.4 to 10.8. The unit will draw approximately 4 amps during operation.

I am still unsure if a 2000 inverter will run this? Yes, I know a 3500 will, but, two shoulder surgeries later, they are just plain heavy.

I am considering the Predator over the Honda at this point because of the price.

Do I have enough info here to find out if a 2000 will work? Thank you.
23 REPLIES 23

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Westinghouse makes a light, small, 2500w unit (inverter style) that will start and run a 13.5K BTU A/C.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

MrWizard
i have seen some videos on youtube
i fellow put a 120v mini split in has small trailer
outside unit mounted up front between Tt wall and batteries

did not know about any lack of cooling problems
blower issues ? or install issues ? aka routing and insulating the lines
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
The other things with mini splits are
1. Many are 240 VAC even on units as small as 9000btuh
2. the size and shape of the exterior compressor, tall and horizontal fan.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A friend's 7K mini split (new) does not cool as well as my 5K's.

Apparently this is a well known soft spot about splits...

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
Of more importance to me would be an inverter rooftop A/C with a compressor similar to a mini split. Dometic is selling some in Australia so hopefully once they're proven to work well we might see them here.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
New product delayed for two years? Gee, why am I laughing? Could it be the product isnโ€™t working correctly?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Inthecountry
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
i think instead of buying something not yet on the market
i would have bought a mini split for the horse TT, about the same price point?
already exists , don't have to remove window and fabricate special mount
better EER
3/4 TON aka 9000BTU, 15 SEER, $519, available NOW
https://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewproduct.cfm?productID=453067103&linkfrom=froogle&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxtP...

yes a 2000 should run any small window unit

mini splits google search
https://www.google.com/search?q=mini+split+air+conditioner&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

Fudge! Didn't know they made such a thing. But, it's a done deal now so have to go with it. Fudge!

MrWizard
i think instead of buying something not yet on the market
i would have bought a mini split for the horse TT, about the same price point?
already exists , don't have to remove window and fabricate special mount
better EER
3/4 TON aka 9000BTU, 15 SEER, $519, available NOW
https://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewproduct.cfm?productID=453067103&linkfrom=froogle&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxtP...

yes a 2000 should run any small window unit

mini splits google search
https://www.google.com/search?q=mini+split+air+conditioner&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Inthecountry
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
With quicksilver my rear bedroom is quite a bit larger than 72x80. And one Goldstar 5,000 BTU will reduce temps from the mid nineties and 75% R/H to mid seventies and 60% R/H. When I'm sleeping the toilet paper just has to endure somehow as do the canned peas and sofa cushions. likewise in the afternoon, the bed mattress has to suffer when I am not in the bedroom. I have four 5K Goldstar units.
Sweating and swearing while on the road, the voltage cannot maintain a 13.5K unit. Most of the time I cannot hear the neighbors curse me out. The Goldstars are 10.7 EER. They cost $42.95 each at Fry's Electronics in 1997. The price is not a misprint.

Thanks, found what you are talking about, the Goldstar. Too big for my window though.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure why you seem specifically desirious of this unit, the EER is 10.4, so energy consumption is not particularily good, a 5000 btu frigidaire on Amazon for $139 has an EER of 11.1, the same cooling capacity, and will de humidify at 1.1 pints per hr.
This unit at least on the surface seems to have made the size a little smaller, added some remote technology which could be useful if you were dealing with a remote controlled home system, but that appeared to be the main advantage. The standard window unit would cool as well, dehumidify better, use less energy, and be about one fourth the price.

edit add on; Just saw your picture of the trailer, and unless you are planning some cutting of the sheet metal or totally removing the front window you will have a problem using either option that has been mentioned.
Look at the portable AC unit, specifically those that use 2 hoses for cooling the unit. They will still run on 15 amps or less, and you would be able to vent the hoses from either the sliding window, or the tilt out with a piece of plywood cut to fit the opening when you open the window to use the unit. Price should be around $200.

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
Yamaha 2400is a great genny
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
With quicksilver my rear bedroom is quite a bit larger than 72x80. And one Goldstar 5,000 BTU will reduce temps from the mid nineties and 75% R/H to mid seventies and 60% R/H. When I'm sleeping the toilet paper just has to endure somehow as do the canned peas and sofa cushions. likewise in the afternoon, the bed mattress has to suffer when I am not in the bedroom. I have four 5K Goldstar units.
Sweating and swearing while on the road, the voltage cannot maintain a 13.5K unit. Most of the time I cannot hear the neighbors curse me out. The Goldstars are 10.7 EER. They cost $42.95 each at Fry's Electronics in 1997. The price is not a misprint.

Inthecountry
Explorer
Explorer
The trailer in question, this is my home away from home.

Inthecountry
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
I looked at the jump starter page and saw NO mention of BTU capacity of the unit ...

Scroll down to Specifications and it says 5000 BTU.

It also shows under the 'pledges' that the estimated delivery is March 2017.
The OP said it comes out next year.:?

Thanks for pointing out where the specs were, I wasn't able to find them again but knew they were there someplace.

And, once more, the link I sent you was their original link from two years or so ago. They have since renamed the unit Kapsul even.

So, would a 2000 inverter be enough? I'm looking to buy a generator this fall, or, if I get lucky and see a sale.