cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smart meter?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I helped a buddy install a 200A service on a camping lot he bought. I also wired in the classic "100A" RV panel with 50/30/20A outlets. (all to code, permitted and inspected)

Here's the rub, since this was only a camping site and the closest transformer is close to being overloaded (according to power co), the electric co. has "limited" our feed to 7000 watts max load. Oddly, they had no problem with us running that 7K to a 200A panel.

Right now the voltage is great even when we're running both our RV's with three AC's off it. I have read some things suggesting the meter will do something if draw too much.

I know what a SM is. My question is, since it is metered by a Smart Meter, what happens if we exceed 7KW?
23 REPLIES 23

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
down home wrote:
Our last home when they came out with these smart meters switched ours to one.Not supposed to affect consumption or rates.
Well our bill went up and quite a bit each month. The meters , but they were not mandatory at the time, but refused to switch it back.
They don't have to read the meters directly it is done from their vehicle about 300 ft from the road.
her in this somewhat larger home the y bill us a heck or a lot more than I think it should be.
And they won't switch it back.

"Smart meter's" are part of the Grid Modernization Effort.

If I remember correctly it was part of one of those pieces of Federal legislation that banned Incadescent and many types of Fluorescent bulbs..

Most States do not allow one to "opt out" of a smart meter, some states do but you might be subject to a surcharge or a one time fee to keep your Analog meter.

SEE HERE FOR MORE INFO

We got ours a couple of yrs ago, so far no ill side effects and it is nice to get ACTUAL METER READINGS EVERY MONTH!! Our Electric co would read every other month, then as a cost saving move they fired a lot of readers and our meter reading was often estimated for two or three months in a row.. Yeah, that would cause a few heated calls to to POCO when the corrected billing happened..

As far as POCO "limiting" the power through a smart meter, yeah, it may be possible.. They CAN shut off your power REMOTELY if you don't pay your bill! They are supposed to be able to directly be addressable remotely once all of the smart grid infrastructure is in place..

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Our last home when they came out with these smart meters switched ours to one.Not supposed to affect consumption or rates.
Well our bill went up and quite a bit each month. The meters , but they were not mandatory at the time, but refused to switch it back.
They don't have to read the meters directly it is done from their vehicle about 300 ft from the road.
her in this somewhat larger home the y bill us a heck or a lot more than I think it should be.
And they won't switch it back.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Down here a utility truck roams.
Using thermal imagery on transformers and sub stations. But this is a city of 600K population. Still have the analog meter. Too many periodic loads like a soldering gun and heat shrink gun to voluntarily opt for a digital meter.

63 day bill cycle this time. 156 kWh. 203 pesos @ 24 to the dollar.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
I know what a SM is. My question is, since it is metered by a Smart Meter, what happens if we exceed 7KW?
Generally with the SM the power company can know close to real time load on the transformer. This allows the transformer to be replaced if it starts to run over the design max.

In the old days the meter reading at the end of the month was a wild guess on the actual intermittent load peak.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
My question is, since it is metered by a Smart Meter, what happens if we exceed 7KW?

Your post is very interesting regarding the power company's admission of substandard service. However, your question can only be answered by the power company. No one here, unless they work for that power company and are familiar with the specific account, can answer your question. Call the power company and get your answer!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey Scott, this just came up on the local buy n sell, 30KW diesel generator for $1500. Your buddy can park this on his lot and tell the PoCo to go scratch.

Joe_Way
Explorer
Explorer
One ringy-dingy...

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
That's what utility sheds are for

Minimum square footage is 800.
They've thought of everything.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
That's what utility sheds are for

I have lost track of the number of proposed new-houses building aps friends have gotten then things

s-l-o-w-e-d

w-a-y

d-o-w-n

Pour the slab. Set the studs. The studs can be hidden with planters. A 20 x 40 slab is not Angkor Wat

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
"Snork - Is this the person to whom I am speaking?"

Get a 100-amp service drop to the temporary. Then there will be (100) L1 -N and (100 L2 - N

We do have 240V but they will not give us power for a temporary unless he is building a house or is willing to pay for the new XFMR.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Our campus switched to "Peak Multiplier" billing in order to save $, and programed the HVAC fans in all the buildings to start at different times to keep the peak down. The engineer programing the system did an "oops" and turned on all the building fans at once. An interesting utility bill that month!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think it is the responsibility of the Power company to put in a bigger transformer.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"Snork - Is this the person to whom I am speaking?"

Get a 100-amp service drop to the temporary. Then there will be (100) L1 -N and (100 L2 - N