cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Soft start for ac

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
Will be dry camping next Feb in key west Florida so obviously will need AC. I have on board generator plus two Honda 2000s that can be hooked together, however they take up slot of space and my 3500 generator weighs to much for me to lift alone. The on board is propane and to refill would require breaking down camp to get refilled. Am considering a soft start for the AC. I am a single woman camper with little electrical knowledge. Who or were would I get to install this and is it worth the money?
13 REPLIES 13

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Darklock wrote:
Best way to install Easy Start when you have a non walkable roof? Can not really reach AC unit from ladder.
I'm thinking plywood to spread out my weight. Any other ideas?

partial sheet of 1/2" or thicker plywood, laid over some towels or rags to make sure edges don't do any damage would be my approach.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Darklock
Explorer
Explorer
Best way to install Easy Start when you have a non walkable roof? Can not really reach AC unit from ladder.
I'm thinking plywood to spread out my weight. Any other ideas?

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
lucy6194 wrote:
Will be dry camping next Feb in key west Florida so obviously will need AC. I have on board generator plus two Honda 2000s that can be hooked together, however they take up slot of space and my 3500 generator weighs to much for me to lift alone. The on board is propane and to refill would require breaking down camp to get refilled. Am considering a soft start for the AC. I am a single woman camper with little electrical knowledge. Who or were would I get to install this and is it worth the money?
Hhmm . . . dry camping in Key West? Any chance it's Sigsbee or Trumbo?

Feb temps in Key West are typically in the mid-70's during the day, mid/low 60's at night. Granted, having a/c when it's in the mid 70's is nice, but not IMO not essential. A couple of fans might suffice.

I've owned/installed a number of Micro Air Easy Starts. They absolutely, 100% work as advertised and worth every penny. You can run 95% of the 13.5 - 15k RV a/c units out there with a single Honda EU2000/2200 generator with a Micro Air installed. Without, you may run 10-15% of them.

As for the installation, you may find the install a bit intimidating if you have little electrical/mechanical experience. I'd suggest a having someone with some good electrical/mechanical skills on standby just in case. No need to pay big $$ for an HVAC guy. The install only requires splicing/rerouting 4 or 5 wires and mounting the Micro Air box.

Enjoy Key West! We hope to make it there in Jan!

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just have a propane company deliver an extra large propane tank (with a gauge) and use on board gen. Why spend $300 on something you donโ€™t really need? Your on board will handle that ac just fine.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
vermilye,

I had solved that with the autoformer. Things seemed to get worse after the micro air unit was installed. I've tweeked the autoformer to cut in a 113 instead of 110.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Another advantage of the Micro Air Easy Start is it eliminates the "thump" when the compressor starts. Even if you are plugged into a pedestal, that makes sleeping a bit more comfortable.

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
The soft start may not allow you to run from a single Honda 2000.

at sea level our honda 2000 consistently starts our coleman Mach III while in eco mode. The AC has the micro air easy start installed.

Above about 4,000ft the 2000 is marginal, but the 2200 is fine all the way up to at least 7,000ft.

But make sure any other high loads are off, like make sure batteries are near full charge, etc.

With the 2,000 you won't be able to run much else other then the AC

X2 on being able to run a 15k A/C unit with the micro-air easy start with no problems as stated above with either the eu2000i or eu2200i generator.

Also, adding a micro-air easy start is not rocket science even for a beginner, between their instruction and all of the you tube videos it can be accomplished. ๐Ÿ˜‰
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
How long will you be camping? It might be easier to just convert the propane system to be able to connect auxiliary tanks to supplement your propane. How many 20 pound bbq propane tanks would you need to have to make this trip work? The bbq tanks can be exchanged at almost any gas station or store in FL, or they can be refilled, and are easy to carry.
I figure if you take out two generators and their gas cans that you could fit 3 bbq tanks in their place.

The soft start things work. They are meant to lessen the power surge needed for starting only, nothing will reduce how much power the AC needs to continue running, so the little one 2000 will not run a 13.5 btu AC even if you can get it started. Generally you want extra capacity on the generator so it is not running at near 100% just to power your AC. A 50% load is more ideal.

Do not take it to an RV mechanic necessarily, this is not an RV thing, it is HVAC or electrical, foreign to most RV mechanics.
Any common every-day electrician will be able to install this as it is simple simple for them.
Any HVAC guy can also install this. Call around and take RV to them, they might be willing to do this, but you picked a bad time of year as HVAC guys are in peak demand right now.
If your brother-in-law is handy then he should be able to do the install. It is not rocket science.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

at sea level our honda 2000 consistently starts our coleman Mach III while in eco mode. The AC has the micro air easy start installed.

Above about 4,000ft the 2000 is marginal, but the 2200 is fine all the way up to at least 7,000ft.

But make sure any other high loads are off, like make sure batteries are near full charge, etc.

With the 2,000 you won't be able to run much else other then the AC
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
microair EZ start is worth every penny and not particularly difficult to install.

I have a westinghouse 2500 and it would start and run a 15k AC unit after I modified. You might get lucking with a honda 2200 without modifying the air, or might not.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
BUYER BEWARE !

There are two types of "soft starters". Only the Micro-Air EasyStart is proven to work.

Also, you might consider selling your two Honda 2000 generators and replacing them with a Westinghouse iGen2500. Watch this video Westinghouse iGen2500 Vs Predator 3500 (Which To Buy)

There are some useful links in the description below this video.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
They work well. Any RV repair outfit should be able to install. Shop for a good price. Try mobile techs too.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad