cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Panel Performance vs Panel Tilting

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The following chart reflects solar panel performance for Denver, CO for the Summer Solstice on 6/20/16. The calculations are based on the USNO sun data which includes sun elevation and azimuth. The solar panel is also set to a given elevation (0 = vertical and 90 = flat) and azimuth. The RV Education website equations were used to calculate the suns angle on the solar panel and the power calculated based on 100W. The calculations do not reflect any parameters like air mass, atmosphere, temperature, shadows, etc. The calculations include the elevation and azimuth of both the sun and the panel.

The maximum sun elevation is 74 degrees and the sun azimuth is then 185 degrees. The solar panel orientation was set to the same values for the chart below. The chart shows the wattage for the day. Notice that for the early and late hours there is no panel output because the sun is behind the panel.

The total wattage for the day is 846Wh.

The following chart shows the Sun elevation and azimuth for the day. The right hand scale is for the azimuth.

The suns azimuth changes 243 degrees during the day.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob
16 REPLIES 16

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you are going to have a tracking system either automatic or manual, I suggest you set your tilt for the latitude in which you live. You won't get max current all the time, of course.

The perfect system would automatically track the sun all day long, but that means a complex system with motors to drive the panels. In addition they would have to be de-deployed when the rig is not in motion.

I like that you did the research and provided the charts.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

MrWizard
Moved from technology corner
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s