cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar panel questions

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
We just got our new 2017 Grand Design 27RL 5th wheel last month. It has a Furrion solar panel port on the front basement wall. The dealer briefly explained that I could connect a solar panel to this port to charge my battery.

I have looked into the panels that Furrion provide and they are 95watt folding suitcase type and cost around $500.At that amount it is currently beyond my finances so I am looking for a more cost effective solution.

Furrion Solar Pane

My purpose for adding a solar panel is to maintain the battery while in storage. We do not dry camp or boondock at this time. To access all areas of my 5th wheel I have to put out at least the passenger side slide out. I have no idea what power is consumed by this but do not want to get stuck sometime and not be able to get slide in our out. Or worse only partially in or out.

I have located a connector that will work with the Furrion port for $10 so I can wire any solar panel to work with it. The Furrion port DOES NOT PROVIDE ANY TYPE OF VOLTAGE CONTOLLER. This means that any panel I purchase has to have this capability.

I am not sure how many watts I would need but the trickle charger panels I saw were from 6 to 10 watts.

This is one at Tractor Supply that is 6 watt with overcharge protection. It only costs $60.

Tractor Supply Coleman Solar Panel

Will this adequately maintain a 12v battery? Do I need a larger more watt panel? Is the overcharge protection that is built in sufficient?

It is a Amorphous solar panel while the 95 watt Furrion is a Poly Crystalline. Is one better than other for my needs and why?

Thank you in advance for your assistance

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
11 REPLIES 11

red31
Explorer
Explorer
'My purpose for adding a solar panel is to maintain the battery while in storage'

maintainer poor choice/poor value/poor performance

Get a controller like
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Solar-40-Amp-PWM-Solar-Charge-Controller-with-Bluetooth-GS-PWM-40BT...

tap into the existing wire, and add a panel

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Solar-100-Watt-Polycrystalline-Solar-Panel-for-RV-s-Boats-and-12-Vo...

cut the ends off the panel wires, add as much 12g landscpae wire (by the foot from orange big box) as needed and the plug, <$200.

get the app from grape and monitor via bluethooth 'round the campfire!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

For lots of information on solar surf here:

https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar/

Portable panels are just one more item to deploy and strike. They also may grow legs.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, Jplante4, that's true but who wants to set up and take down a solar panel everyday? Or more if you leave camp for an hour or two. And when's the last time you heard of a roof mounted panel stolen? And the prices of briefcase panels...wow.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
The whole point of the Furion plug is that you can move the panel into the sun and angle it for maximum efficiency. 100 watt panels properly positioned will supply more power over time than a roof mounted 160 sitting in the shade part of the time.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use more than adequate wire for you small solar system. Then when you upgrade no rewiring will be necessary...corvette's suggestion of 8 is good.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I would put a 160 watt panel on the roof and a PWM charge controller close to the batteries. Forget the Furrion plug and wire, install 10 AWG or if you think you may upgrade use 8 AWG wire. You can buy all this for around $250.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
What gauge is the wire?

I am not sure of the size of the wire but there is a 10amp inline fuse in place. There was also a defect by Grand Design that put in only 7.5 amp fuse and fuse holders which is a potential problem and would need replaced.

I will check these items out the next time I go over to my RV

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
What gauge is the wire?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
OP here

On further research I discovered that the maximum size panel that the Furrion port supports is 100 watts do to the wiring and inline fuse.

Dave

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have 200 on the roof now and it keeps my 4 - 6v GCs at 13.4v all day.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox