cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Swamp Coolers

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
There was a recent discussion on swamp coolers, just wondering if anyone else had any experience with them or had any knowledge to share. My use would be in the Eastern plains of Colorado or in the SW desert areas. I have looked at portables such as are found at a place like Home Depot, also looked at TurboKool. Reviews on the portables are not that great. Would appreciate any comments. Thanks
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO
24 REPLIES 24

MrWizard
air pressure ? or electric shock ?

Generator Jim wrote:
Had a swamp cooler in the kitchen window on my 55 ft trailer in Wichita Falls TX. We had a thunder storm one night and closed the windows in the back bedroom. Next morning wife started up the cooler and it made a funny noise. She opened the trailer door and launched herself across the small porch and landed on the grass. DON'T FORGET TO KEEP THE WINDOWS OPEN.
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
dup 5? Mods delete?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dup, dup, dup, dup.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Again?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seriously?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
dang.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tried a swamp cooler in my RV when 1 of the A/C units failed and the results were quite obvious. If you stood right in front of the air outlet it felt pretty good. However, it did absolutely nothing to actually cool the interior of the RV. We then bought a "real" portable A/C unit with an exhaust hose that must be run out the window. THAT WORKS! However, it generates a whole lot of water which you must deal with on a frequent basis or have an option allowing a continuous drain of the water condensation. Luckily, we were able to run a hose from the A/C unit to a drain and it could run 24 hours without attention. If not, the water needed to be drained every couple of hours to prevent over-flow.

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
The best way to determine if a evaporative cooler (the correct term) will work is to check the outside dew point. Under 50 degrees the cooler will work with lower being better. Above 50 degrees, forget it.
RVing since 1995.

Generator_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Had a swamp cooler in the kitchen window on my 55 ft trailer in Wichita Falls TX. We had a thunder storm one night and closed the windows in the back bedroom. Next morning wife started up the cooler and it made a funny noise. She opened the trailer door and launched herself across the small porch and landed on the grass. DON'T FORGET TO KEEP THE WINDOWS OPEN.
Jim & Jane Latour
08 Chevy 3500HD, crew cab, dually, Duramax/Allison
Crossroads Cruiser CR305SK14, Onan 3.6KY
Retired AF CMS (E9) Power Generation and Onan RV genset Level III tech
Grand Strand Sams
Blog.rv.net

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Im going to try making a homemade swamp cooler. Probably do the 5 gallon bucket method you can find all over youtube. But instead of a desk fan will use a 4" blower.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Joah-jah and swamp cooler is as compatible as South Polar Station and Frigidaire.

But it's like explaining the concept of mud to someone from the Atacama Desert...

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Carefully read all posts. Thanks to all. By the way there is a "ByCool" unit listed on Craigslist Denver right now.

This may be the brand that bear was referring to.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Don't just walk away from Swamp Coolers------------RUN as fast as you can.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Sac Ca part of the summer and Yuma AZ during the winter and have a large swamp cooler in each house. Also have A/C in each but seldom use them. It is 100 % right now here outside Sac and I have the swamp cooler on low and it is 72 degrees. The house here in Sac is 1700 sf and the one in Yuma is 1550. I run the one in Yuma on low and it stays in the high 60s and low 70s. Much cheaper to run and low maintenance. Both coolers are under shade. The one in Yuma is used from Nov thru Mar which are cooler months. It would never work during the summer. Each cooler was used and bought in Yuma for $100 each and have not spent a penny on the one in Cal in the last 5 yrs and had to replace a belt on the one in Yuma in the last 4 + yrs
samsontdog:o:W