Explorer
Explorer
Which is better buy? Besides cost per amp hour

Trojan T105 225 20 Hr Amp Hour $105.00 = $ .47 / Ahr 62 lb
or
Crown CR-235 20 Hr Amp Hour $90.50 = $ .39 / Ahr 63 lb
or
Energizer 6 Volt Premium GC2 235 20 Hr Amp Hr $111.00 = $.47 66lb

Assuming a 50% max draw down and if 50% will be able to top charge to 100% within 3 days.

Average draw down approx 30%

Batteries will be on float charger when in storage.

Your opinion & why please.
corrected typo
30 REPLIES 30

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with the newest and heaviest. That 66 lb Sam's Premium with the Feb 2014 date looks good.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
I do have a question about build date. If buying batteries today what is an acceptable build date?

Well determining the self discharge rate of a particular battery should answer that! The Crown out the door this January would get my vote! Oh, that's right, it already did!
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like anything over 90 days but be aware some unscrupulous manufacturer's employees and distributors are not against peeling off a G3 dot and replacing it with an A4 dot. This is much less likely to happen with with a premium line.

AStinker-
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for your input. It is educational for me to see the different opinions from different perspectives. And I really appreciate you guys taking the time to do it.

I live 250 miles from (Wichita, Ks) the nearest Samโ€™s store that handles both of the Energizer Batteries. My brother-in-law just called me from Wichita, Ks and the Energizer GC2 210 Ahr & 63 lb is priced at $84.00 (but out of stock today so no build date) The Energizer Premium GC2-122 235 Ahr is $112.60 with a build date of 2/14.

When I priced and got the info on the Trojan & Crown batteries I did not get warranty or build date info but I will. Build date could be a factor from the supplier now that I think about it. When I ask him if he needed advance notice of when I wanted them he said he kept both of them in stock all the time and I have no idea how big of a supplier he is. Before posting this I called and got build dates which are listed below. He also said he keeps all his batteries charged by rotating all his battery on boost charger.

I was leaning towards the Trojan & Crown when I originally posted primarily because from my research I had figured out they were probably 2 of the most reliable batteries. But I have also picked up that the 20 Hr Amp Hr Rate versis the weight of the battery is a factor that should also be considered but I donโ€™t remember which was best but I think is was more Ahr per lb the better. Which brings up an interesting point. Below I have them ranked highest Ahr per lb 1st . The $ / Ahr is based on prices quoted me 02/20/2014.

Crown โ€“ 235 Ahr / 63 lb = 37.30 Ahr / lb Build Date 1/14 $ .39 / Ahr
Samโ€™s Prem โ€“ 235 Ahr / 66 lb = 36.61 Ahr / lb Build Date 2/14 $ .48 / Ahr
Trojan โ€“ 225 Ahr / 62 lb = 36.29 Ahr / lb Build Date 1/14 $ .47 / Ahr
Samโ€™s 210 Ahr / 63 lb = 33.33 Ahr / lb Build Date UN $ .40 / Ahr

I do have a question about build date. If buying batteries today what is an acceptable build date?

Sorry the formating didn't come out right when I cut & pasted from records I am keeping.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer, you do realize that MEX is a retired battery engineer. He's not recommending based on purchases but experience. TONS of others experiences do back up his claims though so it's not like he's the only person saying this. There is a world outside of RV.net that uses batteries, you know.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the OP only asked about Trojan, Crown and Energizer batteries?
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
WOW!

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
There are instances where -guaranteed- reliability are warranted. Like when a person is way the hell and gone remote boondocking on vacation and a bad battery virtually destroys the vacation ($3,000 vacation versus perhaps 185 dollars in cost of batteries)...

Name brands now days DOES NOT in any way shape or form mean that the product with that name will live up to the "reputation".

Name brands are nothing more than a trade mark name and are sold like a cheap watch.

There LOTS of folks buying and using Sams and Costco GC batteries with LOTS of success. I would bet that there ARE plenty of commercial AND GOLF COURSES USING Sams and Costco batteries.

I am noted for being a hell of a cheapskate. Being I am familiar with storage batteries and the inconvenience and overall cost of premature battery failure you could not suck me into buying the "Low Cost Leader" for love nor money. I am here in Mexico, and when I buy a battery I DEMAND RELIABILITY, because in the end, a cheap battery is going to end up screwing me to the barn door.

"Good" batteries (AKA more expensive) does NOT GUARANTEE any more "reliability" over the lesser lower cost ones. If you ABUSE the name brand (more expensive) batteries they WILL FAIL just as quick as the lesser cost ones.

I USED to think along your lines of though for many years, bought THE MOST EXPENSIVE Die HARD batteries for my vehicles.

My diesel tractor battery, replaced the OEM battery at 4 yrs with a Die Hard. That Die Hard just got replaced with a Sams battery THIS WINTER. Thats only TWO YEARS of "service". That battery at Sears was $135 and at Sams $87.

OK so you say that is only ONE example..

Well here is another..

Our 2006 F250, OEM battery went 5 years, replaced with a DIE HARD at a cost of $140. Just replaced that Die Hard THIS WINTER with a Sams battery at a cost of $90 The Die Hard BARELY made THREE YEARS.

Some folks do not mind installing batteries, alternators, and starters with velcro fasteners and wing nuts. It's purely price and lifetime guarantee that matters to them. Wearing out tires returning garbage to the vendor never enters their mind.

I PERSONALLY hate paying MORE and GETTING LESS "use" or "service" for things which IS what you get now days.

But like I mentioned, with ALL GC and DEEP CYCLE type batteries, ABUSE by the owner WILL DESTROY the cheap ones AND THE EXPENSIVE BRANDS just as fast.

CARE is where it is at, not price. Batteries ARE a CONSUMABLE ITEM and the deeper the discharge the MORE is consumed.

Warranty is only as good as the paper it is written on and getting battery manufacturers to stand behind the warranty will be a chore. In most cases YOU have to TAKE the battery to a "authorized" dealer. They are not coming to you... Many manufacturers now days are changing the warranty term, cheapening the warranty coverage so buyer be aware. Just because you pay more and they offer a longer warranty does not guarantee the batteries will last longer or your will get any money back if they fail.

I have a set of 2-volt batteries that have lasted 2-1/2 times as long as the "Industry Standard" but they cost 180% that of the lesser battery. It's not just the purchase price for me, it's the forklift and 18-wheeler needed to make them available for warranty. Did I mention the hassle and out of service factors?

2 Volt batteries are a "specialty" battery AIMED at a specialty use (mainly industrial use like Telcos, forklifts and such). They tend to be more spendy due to LESS "demand" not to mention have larger capacity. Therefore they do cost more, we are NOT talking about that type of specialty battery.

GC batteries are lower cost due to the fact that the manufacturers DEDICATE MORE SPACE to BUILD MORE of them. Building them in larger bulk quantities LOWERS the manufacturing cost. Does not necessarily lower the quality..

So when someone insists on obtaining a battery with the best reputation, they have their reasons. Those reasons are absolutely just as valid as reasons given for purchasing the least expensive battery a person can find.

Many folks are like "lemmings" and will FOLLOW AND run right off the cliff when another does the same thing.

The same principal applies, basically folks bought a MORE EXPENSIVE ______ (fill in the blank with YOUR favorite item) and was SATISFIED with the "purchase". Therefore they BLINDLY RECOMMEND the product BECAUSE THEY WERE SATISFIED with said product.

Doesn't mean the product IS THE "BEST" or better just because it was more expensive. The recommendation is due to the person FEELING the product met their expectations.

I respect both when the reasons are justified. But please don't try and compare a US Battery and Oxide or other low price leader with a Trojan, Crown or Rolls. They are batteries designed for a SPECIFIC market.

In many cases like GC batteries the difference in the service life WILL be very close, so close that the extra cost of the more expensive brand IS NOT WORTH IT.

If one was able to get a Crown, Rolls, Trojans or other expensive brands for the same price as a Sams or Costco then by all means buy it but I would doubt you will get close to the Sams price or Costco. If you do, I would suggest CHECKING the DATE of manufacture codes, because there is a good chance the expensive brand heavily discounted is AN OLD DATE.

When I was researching what battery to get for my TT, I did check with a local battery distributor for Trojans. They WERE TWICE THE PRICE of my Sams club GC batteries. They did not have the Trojans (or any other GC batts) in stock and would take a week to get them in.

I walked into my local Sams and they had PALLET LOADS of GC batteries at half the price of the Trojans. Pretty much made up my mind that I was not paying for the name..

We are talking RVs and CAMPING, not like it is MISSION CRITICAL LIFE SUPPORT not to mention most FLAs will give you a WARNING (less capacity) BEFORE THEY QUIT.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
AStinker- wrote:
AStinker- wrote:

or
or

Assuming a 50% max draw down and if 50% will be able to top charge to 100% within 3 days.

I edited original post & added a 3rd The Energizer (at Sams Club) and added the weight of each.
corrected typo

Battery brand varies at Sams clubs as to locations.. Energizer is what I have and when I bought them they where a whole $66 each..

My Sams is now carrying Duracell brand..

Duracell GC2 6V current price is $84

ONLY AVAILABLE IN AL, CT, DE, FL, GA, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MS, NC, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, SC, TN, VA, AND WV

Specifications

20 amp hour rate:215
5 amp hour rate:157
6 amp hour rate:156
BCI Group Size:GC2
Contents ONE EACH
Minutes at 25 amps:395
Minutes at 75 amps:105
Volts:6

Not sure where you got your Sams price on the Energizer but I found it at Sams for $99... Still cheaper than the name brands.

My suggestion is to buy one with the lowest price and forget about the name brands.

They are a "consumable" item and treated fairly well (discharge no lower than 50% DOD)they all should give you at a min of 6yrs to 10 yrs of life.

ANY GC BATTERY treated poorly (discharged to 80% DOD) and you will have a door stop within a few years.

The shallower the discharge and the longer life they will give you..

With Crown and other higher priced batteries they are "giving" you (although you PAID DEARLY UP FRONT IN HIGHER PRICE) a longer "warranty". Don't be fooled into thinking that means anything now days (IE better or longer lasting).

Sams by the way does offer a no questions asked three year exchange on the Duracells.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
There are instances where -guaranteed- reliability are warranted. Like when a person is way the hell and gone remote boondocking on vacation and a bad battery virtually destroys the vacation ($3,000 vacation versus perhaps 185 dollars in cost of batteries)

I'll harp on this once again - Golf courses are cheapskates. They'll kill over a nickel. They can purchase any battery on the face of the earth but WHY OH WHY do most golf courses INSIST on Trojans? They are not sold to golf courses at a far cheaper rate than an Oxide or US Battery. Quite the opposite. They are a hell of a lot more expensive. Are the golf course management teams stupid? Some of the largest courses employ MBA accountants to analyze to the last freakin' penny how much a battery ACTUALLY COSTS over a given period of time. The TIME accumulated on hour meters versus the ELECTRIC BILL used to recharge the cars.

And courses almost to the last one specify Trojan. There has to be a reason why the choice of thousands of batteries narrows it to a few select brands (Crown is another choice but logistics favor the Trojan overwhelmingly).

I am noted for being a hell of a cheapskate. Being I am familiar with storage batteries and the inconvenience and overall cost of premature battery failure you could not suck me into buying the "Low Cost Leader" for love nor money. I am here in Mexico, and when I buy a battery I DEMAND RELIABILITY, because in the end, a cheap battery is going to end up screwing me to the barn door.

Some folks do not mind installing batteries, alternators, and starters with velcro fasteners and wing nuts. It's purely price and lifetime guarantee that matters to them. Wearing out tires returning garbage to the vendor never enters their mind.

I have a set of 2-volt batteries that have lasted 2-1/2 times as long as the "Industry Standard" but they cost 180% that of the lesser battery. It's not just the purchase price for me, it's the forklift and 18-wheeler needed to make them available for warranty. Did I mention the hassle and out of service factors?

So when someone insists on obtaining a battery with the best reputation, they have their reasons. Those reasons are absolutely just as valid as reasons given for purchasing the least expensive battery a person can find.

I respect both when the reasons are justified. But please don't try and compare a US Battery and Oxide or other low price leader with a Trojan, Crown or Rolls. They are batteries designed for a SPECIFIC market.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
AStinker- wrote:

or
or

corrected typo

Neither.

On both of the brands you are paying for warranty and a "reputation".

If you have a Sam's club membership you can get 6V GC batts with 210 Ahr rating for around $80 each.

So far mine are now 7 yrs old and still running my home fridge conversion along with all other items in my TT.

I no longer pay for the brand name of a battery just to get a warranty which now days is getting less and less. Got tired of replacing Diehards every two years in my vehicles. All now converted over to Sams club batteries and at a better price..

If you have Costco they too have GC batts which will be about the same price as Sams...

AStinker-
Explorer
Explorer
AStinker- wrote:

or
or

I edited original post & added a 3rd The Energizer (at Sams Club) and added the weight of each.
corrected typo

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would look for the most time in minutes the battery will produce 6VDC @25AMPS and which one is the heaviest... Then cost would be the last thing I would at...

CROWN CR235 6VDC GC2 Battery Specs
CROWN CR235 Specs

TROJAN T105 6VDC GC2 Battery Specs
TROJAN T105 Specs

The problem with these two batteries is the Crown is a 235AH battery and the Trojan is a 225AH battery. The specs are different.

The Crown will produce 6VDC@25 amps for 459 minutes and weighs 63lbs

The Trojan will produce 6VDC@25 amps for 447 Minutes and weighs 62lbs

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Never mind- typo in the OP post.235, not 335.
Trojan *might* have a larger dealer network, but I would use either, if it were mine.
-- Chris Bryant

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Crown Battery has been around for 88 years in Fremont, Ohio. If they have the five year warranty I'd go with the Crowns.