cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tail Light Issue

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
My 2017 Ram 1500 has a towing package, but did not come with a brake controller. So, when we recently purchased a new travel trailer: The dealer installed a Quest brake controller. It was just a matter of two screws, and plug in the wiring harness...

The travel trailer lights (via the 7 way plug) work fine. However, I have discovered that when I plug in my boat trailer (5 way plug) the right rear tail light does not work.... I tested my theory by plugging the boat into my son's truck, and all the lights work fine.

Does this make sense? Should I get an adapter and only use the 7 way plug? Should I unplug the brake controller when pulling the boat? (boat doesn't have electric brakes anyways)

TIA
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9
5 REPLIES 5

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or, get this 4 pin/7 pin tester and only have to get and store one tester.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
My mistake... I have the 4 way plug on the boat... However, the problem remains... The lights worked fine on both trucks, now the right tail light doesn't work when the Ram is hooked up... and the only thing that changed is the brake controller install.

I will be purchasing the test lights as suggested by RoyB and see that that tells me.

Thanks!
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2010 F150 Ford truck with tow package came with this dual 4-way and 7-way connector assy...

google image

With the built-in Brake Controller the 4-way and the 7-way connections work just fine here on my setup...

I also carry the two test adapters that tells me all is OK on the truck side which really helps when trouble shooting problems

google image

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
buy a couple of fittings and "miswire" between them so that the lights work right on the boat trailer. but no brakes on the boat trailer, why not a standard flat 4 instead of a 5???
bumpy

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Your problem shouldn't have anything to do with the brake controller. The power to the electric trailer brakes comes off a different "pole" on the truck plug than the right brake light does.

As far as I know, the RAM wiring comes with a 7-way RV plug, and a 4-way flat plug. If you have a 5 pole plug for your boat (which I have as well), that 5th pole is for the reverse lights, and it turns on a solenoid so that you can back up without your surge brakes locking up.

So, are you using an adaptor to plug your boat in? If not, how are you doing it?

I'd also suggest checking to see if your right turn signal works. If it does, you might have a grounding issue.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010