cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toilet Issues

strykersd
Explorer
Explorer
I'm restoring an old 1971 Winnebago Brave and have had a hell of a time trying to get the toilet to work. It's a Traveler 910 toilet. When I first hooked my motorhome up to a water hookup I noticed the toilet valve was leaking from the valve and that the bowl also didn't hold water. I ordered a new valve and gasket. I went to install both today and noticed that ever with the valve and actuating arm off that my toilet ball still didn't want to close. After pulling the toilet out I noticed scrapes on both the toilet ball and the throat (I believe that's what it's called). Turns out the ball is contacting the throat of the toilet making it hard to close. Would a new ball fix this or is this toilet a lost cause?

I searched but haven't found any cases where the ball scratched up the throat of the toilet. After all this is it even worth fixing or should I just buy a new dometic toilet for $100? Thanks for any input!
5 REPLIES 5

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 20 year old Thetford that has the blade instead of the ball to seal water in the bowl. It was scored and when I removed it I found hard mineral build up that scored the blade seal. After scraping the brown mineral build up off and sanding the score marks of the blade it worked well after that and is still holding water after 20 years with the original rubber seal.

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
When it came to replacing parts on my 1999 toilet or getting a new one, I just got a new one...plastic will not last forever and I don't want another toilet leak every 3 months.
1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Yep restoring the MH.....nothing wrong w/ that.
But trying to restore a 46 yr old head usually isn't going to pencil out very well
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It's nice to restore old things. But, sometimes it's better to replace the old with the new.

I would buy a new toilet and concentrate on restoring the rest of your Brave.

And, of course, post pictures when you get a chance. ๐Ÿ™‚

For a hundred bucks I'd forget the old thing and get a new one.
What's your time and effort worth?
And will it work like new? Not likely.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com