cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transient Voltage Spike Protection Home Made Device

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I'm stubborn. When I found out how stupidly expensive adequate "Surge Protectors" cost, I hit the roof. Screw that. I ordered the components.

Designed for 180 volt peak-to-peak protection ((the standard down here is 127vac 60Hz.)

20 mm Metal Oxide Varistors
10 mm Metal Oxide Varistors (10 volts higher rating)
Transient Voltage Surge Protection bi-directional diodes 4ns reaction time
Gas Discharge Tube devices

L1-L0
L1-Earth Ground
LO-Earth Ground

(8) MOVS
(4) TVS
(2) GDT

I'll see about sending some images to NinerBikes.

If you can do basic soldering, you can do your own and end up with genuine protection and not a vastly overpriced fraud.

BTW: A fully functional grounded isolation transformer is 100,000 times better than my gizmo.
23 REPLIES 23

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty easy to add L2 to the circuit board. But then again standard MOVs last 1-2 years down here. It's tough to predict as I have seen filled USA RV parks with running A/C's turn the local grid into a veritable electron house of horrors. The idea of adding an inductor is intriguing but one designed for a mere 30-amperes is daunting financial wise. And it won't fit.

I look at my Sola UT system and shrink. It isn't all that great of capacity, yet it cost a fortune. Maybe ridiculously more expensive in 2015 I do not know. Laugh on but a field of solar panels and a low THD sine wave inverter starts to sound feasible.

Filled RV parks are murder incorporated as far as damaging electrical conditions are concerned. A dedicated service drop transformer is usually clean as is an inverter generator barring the inductive spikes and line phase shift caused by high head A/C restarts.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

If I understand Gde, If I plug in a regular surge suppressor I get some coverage to the entire RV on a 30 amp circuit. How much protection depends on the capacity of the particular device.

For a 50 amp service I'd need to use a surge device on each leg.

Is that correct?

Correct!

It isn't something that the surge suppressor companies would talk about or recommend but the fact is the MOVs and other surge suppression components being in parallel with the line can "extend" the protection back to your breaker panel (provided the surge strip is turned on and breaker is not tripped).. In a sense covering the entire electrical system.

Ideally the surge protectors should be placed as close the breaker panel as possible.

However, in the case of a 50A RV, it would be cheaper to buy and install a regular whole house type (Like that Leviton) that connects at your breaker panel.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
This is a fascinating area for sure. I have a 300' microwave tower 600' from my residence here and feel pretty snorky about being safe.

1. 20 mm MOVS I chose 180 volts as a withstand voltage peak to peak

2. Avalanche rectifiers. I chose 170 withstand volts.

3. GDT 180 volts for me. Line to neutral, line to earth ground.

4. Rice grain fuses. 2-amp limit, 5-amp surge.

5. Duplicate )paralleled) MOVS line to neutral, line to earth ground

6. Duplicate (paralleled) TVS diodes again line to neutral line to earth ground.

7. I reinforced the MOV effect with 10mm devices 190 volts

Most if not all the devices are from one Chinese company on eBay. Origin Singapore and Thailand.

Devices should be qualified according to prevailing line value conditions. Down here, 127vac is the standard. 132vac RMS is not uncommon. Before someone else jumps in with a yowl about peak-to-peak exceeding device ratings I invite them to understand my device has been in circuit for three weeks now. No rice grain fuses blown, no devices found open or shorted as of this morning.

I WANT MY TEKTRONIX!!!!! I feel naked without it. By god and by hook or crook I am going to lay hands on my own personal scope meter. This is 10MHz work not 500 MHz!

My umbilical is a concrete house thickly laced with rebar. From one of the foundation rods, a 1 gauge AL powerline snakes up the hill and connects to a 3,000 gallon concrete reservoir which leaks just enough to keep the ground beneath damp. If a bolt gets past all that it can have me...

Coolerman
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER, if you care to publish your design and a parts list, I would be interested in it. I could easily build one and need one for my new RV. I'm like you, if I can build it vs buying it, I will.
I work in the process control industry and we use products made by Transtector. These use SASD (Silicon Avalanche Suppressor Diode) and MOVs to protect our AC devices. When they fail they turn on a light and/or trigger a relay that we read with a PLC, but they still allow the devices to work. Some of these devices are "mission critical" and cannot be taken off line without consequences. Most of our customers have large lightning/surge/over/under voltage protectors at the service entrance so we only provide point source protection devices.

One of my customers in Florida installed a lightning "umbrella" system. It's a type of lightning rod system, mounted on several towers scattered about the site, and about 100 feet in the air, that bleeds the ground charge into the atmosphere preventing the charge between ground and cloud from building up to the point of a leader forming, thereby triggering an upstroke. They have never been hit by lightning to my knowledge.
Mark Baker aka Coolerman
2016 Venture Sonic 170VBH
SOLD:2001 StarCraft Gemini
TV: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
dbates wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER, if you're happy with your homemade surge protector that’s great. But I'm no electronic genius, can’t build my own and if I did it might not work right when it’s needed plus based on the hundreds of testimonials on this forum about how well Progressive Industries has protected them from multiple power problems I’m happy with the Progressive Industries’ 30 amp EMS I purchased over nine years ago.

Good luck with yours.

Dave
As Mex stated earlier, the Progressive and similar others are COMPLETELY different animals.

Many years ago I had a very complex amateur repeater at a friends house on a hill in LA. I built the TTL control system (22 logic & audio cards) as well as the +5, +-15v supply that ran the entire system. It was protected by a ring of GE MOV's (un-fused, wouldn't have it any other way) on both the AC In, as well as the various outputs.
The 65' tower blew down in an 80mph windstorm and dropped it across the 12kv feeder to the neighborhood. There was enough energy that the rotor controller sitting on a metal shelf welded itself to the top, and the outline of the shelf laser cut the rug it was sitting on perfectly. The 19" rack housing all the electronics etched out the carpet all the way through to the concrete as well. All electronics, including the mighty IBM 20A supply, and everything it fed were trashed. The only things that survived was my GE MOV'd power supply, and anything tied to it. How the house didn't catch fire I don't know.. That event is all the testimonial for GE MOV's I'll ever need.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

westend
Explorer
Explorer
. wrote:
It takes a direct bolt hit to put things out of business, then.
Or a nearby strike. The marketing and naming of these devices as surge protectors leads folks to think that they are protected from anything, including lightning. There is mucho difference between a line surge and a bolt of lightning. Lightning has like 5 million joules of energy.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

If I understand Gde, If I plug in a regular surge suppressor I get some coverage to the entire RV on a 30 amp circuit. How much protection depends on the capacity of the particular device.

For a 50 amp service I'd need to use a surge device on each leg.

Is that correct?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I worry far more about voltage drifting up and down vs a spike.

Only surge I think about as common would be when the power is interrupted or during reconnect. Either way the relay can just open and keep power off until voltage is stabilized.

+1 for just unplugging during a lightening storm.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice discussion going on above between electronics/electrical tinkerers trying to protect their RV electricals from various surges and slumps - including the ultimate surge ... lightening.

Regarding protection of RV electricals from lightening, however, the DW floored me years ago with her ultra-off-the-wall-cheap K.I.S.S way to protect our RV's electricals when camping with electrical hookups and there is word of potentially any lightening in the vicinity of us ... she makes me disconnect the RV from shore power and go into drycamp mode. It takes a direct bolt hit to put things out of business, then. :B

FWIW, if we were full-timers I'd save up the shekels and do it right with just the right surge protection and a Hughes Autoformer - as talked about in this thread: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28543300.cfm
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

dbates
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER, if you're happy with your homemade surge protector that’s great. But I'm no electronic genius, can’t build my own and if I did it might not work right when it’s needed plus based on the hundreds of testimonials on this forum about how well Progressive Industries has protected them from multiple power problems I’m happy with the Progressive Industries’ 30 amp EMS I purchased over nine years ago.

Good luck with yours.

Dave
Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
IMHO Superb Post GDETrailer!

Down here transient voltages eat IC and discrete components like Nachos. They go on and on, 24/7 wearing down the p/n barriers. Electrolytic caps eventually talk to each other by smoke signals. Light off a microwave and eventually you will hear the Frankenstein "NYANNN ZOOOT" from the control board.

I tried to make it clear from the onset maybe I failed - my device does NOTHING to correct voltage irregularities lasting more than a few milli-seconds. That is a job for another type of device. But voltage correction devices are based on autoformer design which absolutely does ZIP as far as transients are concerned. An autoformer must have additional circuitry built in for it to do anything at all about transient voltage spikes. These spikes can be and are often positive, negative amplitude or BOTH oriented.

What is clearly different about what I build is the overkill redundancy of the MOV capacity and the TVS capacity. Both have finite lifetimes. Like having 64 shock absorbers. When a standard "surge suppressor" is throwing in the towel, my device is laughing. The last Tripplite box I tore into had every single MOV open circuit and both TVS diodes shorted. The GDT device, emphasis on singular was fine as it fluoresced at 210 volts.

I meant it when I wrote a worn out "surge protector" is like an empty fire extinguisher. False lying sense of security.

I cannot open up and examine every "surge protector" on the market. But I damned sure can tell you nothing affordable is going going to have six 20 mm MOVS (4) TVS and a pair of GDT, one from L1 to L0 the other from L1 to earth ground.

A direct lightning strike on a transmission line, enables relays to shunt the jolt to earth. Upstream and downstream to cut affected phase continuity and a third to earth the strike. A second's worth of interruption. DISTRIBUTION transformers are not auto transformers, so to a great degree they shunt power through L0 to earth ground. But obviously lots of runaway "joules" run down the line and hide in your precious electronics circuitry.

A strike on a powerline DISTRIBUTION circuit, the WYE connected 240 web down here is Armageddon for the entire line. I have seen 40Kw transformers ON FIRE jump their brackets and drag wires to the ground. Most people are too busy putting out fires in their home electrical to notice. The USA uses individual transformers for residences. Mexico uses much larger transformers that feed 240 volt four wire networks that can power 50 homes. All that network is exposed to lightning.

Unplugging is absolutely the best way to interrupt a lightning strike path. Down here a strike can occur two miles distant on a distribution network and it's time to pray.

To say lightning acts Quixotic may be the understatement of the century.

The sole hope is diversion...

IF an alternate path is presented to the pre-ionization feeler

THE post ionization feeler MAY choose the easier path

The nanosecond response time of the TVS diodes allows time to be bought.

Enough time for the MOVS to light off and burn out

And the GDT to delay long enough for a path to be decided upon.

Microseconds later the main pulse USUSALLY follows the trail of ionization and the pulse feeler.

To the easiest way.

Up the ground wire, and out the rig to L1 and the clouds.

Lots of if's but lots of undeniable successes. The best success a person can hope for is a disappeared service, vaporized shore power plug, utterly destroyed breaker box, and a hopefully small fire.

oI won't bother telling you what the alternative to this is like in an RV. A bad strike can dig a two foot deep trench, blast through foot thick solid concrete like it was paper, melt fifty feet of copper water pipe and blast out of the other side of the house. I've audited this type of damage with my own eyes (Tahoe National Forest Fallen Leaf Lake USFS station on the ridge) Not a tower. A ground single story facility. It happened in the early 70's. Anyone living up there should inquire with the USFS. It shows the power of lightning.

There EXIST good spike protectors. But none of them mate well with a recreational vehicle electrical circuit. BTW in hopes and prayer my circuit uses a 12 gauge earth ground conductor. Most RVs have 8 gauge ground circuits.

One can only hope. Thank God for individual RICE GRAIN fuses. It's stupid IMHO to have an individual fuse fail and fail the entire circuit.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO Superb Post GDETrailer!

Down here transient voltages eat IC and discrete components like Nachos. They go on and on, 24/7 wearing down the p/n barriers. Electrolytic caps eventually talk to each other by smoke signals. Light off a microwave and eventually you will hear the Frankenstein "NYANNN ZOOOT" from the control board.

I tried to make it clear from the onset maybe I failed - my device does NOTHING to correct voltage irregularities lasting more than a few milli-seconds. That is a job for another type of device. But voltage correction devices are based on autoformer design which absolutely does ZIP as far as transients are concerned. An autoformer must have additional circuitry built in for it to do anything at all about transient voltage spikes. These spikes can be and are often positive, negative amplitude or BOTH oriented.

What is clearly different about what I build is the overkill redundancy of the MOV capacity and the TVS capacity. Both have finite lifetimes. Like having 64 shock absorbers. When a standard "surge suppressor" is throwing in the towel, my device is laughing. The last Tripplite box I tore into had every single MOV open circuit and both TVS diodes shorted. The GDT device, emphasis on singular was fine as it fluoresced at 210 volts.

I meant it when I wrote a worn out "surge protector" is like an empty fire extinguisher. False lying sense of security.

I cannot open up and examine every "surge protector" on the market. But I damned sure can tell you nothing affordable is going going to have six 20 mm MOVS (4) TVS and a pair of GDT, one from L1 to L0 the other from L1 to earth ground.

A direct lightning strike on a transmission line, enables relays to shunt the jolt to earth. Upstream and downstream to cut affected phase continuity and a third to earth the strike. A second's worth of interruption. DISTRIBUTION transformers are not auto transformers, so to a great degree they shunt power through L0 to earth ground. But obviously lots of runaway "joules" run down the line and hide in your precious electronics circuitry.

A strike on a powerline DISTRIBUTION circuit, the WYE connected 240 web down here is Armageddon for the entire line. I have seen 40Kw transformers ON FIRE jump their brackets and drag wires to the ground. Most people are too busy putting out fires in their home electrical to notice. The USA uses individual transformers for residences. Mexico uses much larger transformers that feed 240 volt four wire networks that can power 50 homes. All that network is exposed to lightning.

Unplugging is absolutely the best way to interrupt a lightning strike path. Down here a strike can occur two miles distant on a distribution network and it's time to pray.

To say lightning acts Quixotic may be the understatement of the century.

The sole hope is diversion...

IF an alternate path is presented to the pre-ionization feeler

THE post ionization feeler MAY choose the easier path

The nanosecond response time of the TVS diodes allows time to be bought.

Enough time for the MOVS to light off and burn out

And the GDT to delay long enough for a path to be decided upon.

Microseconds later the main pulse USUSALLY follows the trail of ionization and the pulse feeler.

To the easiest way.

Up the ground wire, and out the rig to L1 and the clouds.

Lots of if's but lots of undeniable successes. The best success a person can hope for is a disappeared service, vaporized shore power plug, utterly destroyed breaker box, and a hopefully small fire.

oI won't bother telling you what the alternative to this is like in an RV. A bad strike can dig a two foot deep trench, blast through foot thick solid concrete like it was paper, melt fifty feet of copper water pipe and blast out of the other side of the house. I've audited this type of damage with my own eyes (Tahoe National Forest Fallen Leaf Lake USFS station on the ridge) Not a tower. A ground single story facility. It happened in the early 70's. Anyone living up there should inquire with the USFS. It shows the power of lightning.

There EXIST good spike protectors. But none of them mate well with a recreational vehicle electrical circuit. BTW in hopes and prayer my circuit uses a 12 gauge earth ground conductor. Most RVs have 8 gauge ground circuits.

One can only hope. Thank God for individual RICE GRAIN fuses. It's stupid IMHO to have an individual fuse fail and fail the entire circuit.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Power strip "sooooooge protectors" are not fixable. Damned lucky to find one with 14 gauge wire. I have opened up too many and damaged a rib laughing myself sick.

Sorry you have a run of bad luck with premade surge protectors..

I have indeed had good luck in repairing QUALITY built ones like Panamax, APC, Tripplite.. Those indeed use a min of 14 gauge wire not only in the line cord but INSIDE..

Somewhere around my junk piles I have a 15yr old Panamax that took a pretty good surge, shorted the bidirectional diodes and blew the internal protection fuse.. Well built unit..

Never bothered ordering new diodes for it and just tossed it into the "round to it" box since I had other surge protectors..

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pianotuna writes “Hi Gde,

Do the ones you listed handle 30 amps and/or 50 amps?”

“Technically” in a “round about way” YES.

But not the way you would think of..

You are thinking of an external mystery box that you plug your RV into via the shore cord..

The devices I listed are power/surge strips in which you typically plug individual items into.. But the “protection” they offer actually EXTENDS to EVERYTHING on that power circuit provided the power strip is plugged into an outlet AND turned on AND the protection devices are functioning..

The devices which Mex mentioned are placed in PARALLEL to the “circuit” or power lines if you like.. They are not “In series” and therefore ALL the protection is available BEFORE AND AFTER where the protection devices are inserted into the circuit.

They work by SHUNTING voltages that exceed their breakdown voltage threshold TO GROUND, is also known as “clamping”.

To be very clear, NO “surge protection devices” can or will protect against a DIRECT LIGHTNING STRIKE even several miles down the power line!!! They only protect from lightning INDUCED surges (indirect lightning strikes)..

I am not aware of any device that would be reasonably priced that would handle a direct lightning strike, therefore the “best practice” of preventing damage during a strong thunderstorm is to physically disconnect your electronic devices from the power company (IE unplug shore power or TVs/entertainment items)..

A good explanation of MOVs can be found HERE

From the website above..

“The Metal Oxide Varistor or MOV is a voltage dependent, nonlinear device that provides excellent transient voltage suppression. The Metal Oxide Varistor is designed to protect various types of electronic devices and semiconductor elements from switching and induced lightning surges.

When exposed to high transient voltage, the MOV clamps voltage to a safe level. A metal oxide varistor absorbs potentially destructive energy and dissipates it as heat, thus protecting vulnerable circuit components and preventing system damage. Varistors can absorb part of a surge.
About the MOV – Metal Oxide Varistors

A MOV contains a ceramic mass of zinc oxide grains, in a matrix of other metal oxides (such as small amounts of bismuth, cobalt, manganese) sandwiched between two metal plates (the electrodes).

They can be connected in parallel for increased energy-handling capabilities.
MOVs can also be connected in series to provide higher voltage ratings or to provide voltage rating between the standard increments.

A Metal Oxide Varistor remains non-conductive as a shunt mode device during normal operation when voltage remains well below its “clamping voltage”. If a transient pulse (often measured in joules) is too high, the device may melt, burn, vaporize, or otherwise be damaged or destroyed.”

Typical simple in circuit usage (symbol with SIOV)..

Picture of MOV

Transit voltage bidirectional diodes and gas discharge tubes are also placed in parallel just the same as MOVs, they work similar to MOVs but with different speeds.

Cheap surge protection power strips ($8.99) typically only have MOVs and the more expensive versions ($30 and up) will have MOVs, Bidirectional diodes and gas discharge tubes.

When dealing with a 50A RV shore cord you simply need two surge strips and make sure that one of each is connected to L1 and L2..

One of the reasons as to why those external 30A and 50A “surge protectors” cost so much is the fact they ARE designed for the RV “industry” and they often offer other “protection” like OVER and UNDER voltage disconnect and or AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulation)..

To be clear Mexs idea does not address OVER/UNDER voltage nor does it address AVR..

If you dig around, you can find plug in surge/power strips which do have over/under voltage disconnect protection and if you want AVR many good UPS units actually provide surge AND AVR functions.. Just beware with these you must plug in items to be protected downstream to get the “protection”..

An additional way to add “surge protection” is to install a “whole house” surge protector in your RV breaker panel..

You can get a Leviton 51110-SRG Residential Surge protection Panel for as little as $43 from HERE

Looks like

Typical home installation requires the use of two 120V single pole breakers that go to the device.. In a RV you would need only one single pole 20A breaker for a 30A shore power connection and only need to wire L1 or L2 of the protector.. Or if no extra breaker spaces available you could simply wire to any of the breaker protected branch circuits in a pinch.

You can view the installation manual for the Leviton protector

HERE