cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Trailer running light not working correctly

bsmith95610
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed my new trailer light and now my brake lights are working correctly. I'm assuming they probably weren't working correctly due to the wiring connections and not the light itself. The issue I am having now is the lights work correctly for everything EXCEPT the right back running light does not light up when I have my headlights on. The light does work when I have the brakes pressed or the turn signal on. I'm assuming since there's only one bulb that there must be a wiring issue somewhere. What is the best way to troubleshoot that issue? I do have a multi-meter which I am a little bit familiar with using.
4 REPLIES 4

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
sch911 wrote:
The TT light bulbs have two filaments. One for turn/stop, and one for running lights. Your running light is not getting power or ground.

Since both filaments use the same ground, it shouldn't be the problem. Follow the hot wire back and you will find the problem. (Assuming the bulb filament is not burned out.)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
A very useful check is to take the lens cover off both light sets and look carefully at both. The thin filament is the run light, the thick filament is the brake/turn.

Check the operation of both to see that they work the proper filament, change the bulb with the other side to see if that changes anything, and take a wire from the negative of the truck battery, to the side of the bulb at the back to check the grounding of the bulb. If you find anything with one of these, come back again.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
The TT light bulbs have two filaments. One for turn/stop, and one for running lights. Your running light is not getting power or ground.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Brake light element working - good negative. Brown wire issue. Make sure bulb is in base correctly. Push on the bulb. Socket wire contacts go bad due to corrosion/oxidation.