cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unplug All The Charger/Converters

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Recently saw a video from a good mechanic.

On the vehicle of newer cars n trucks a lot of things are electronic and even wireless (like the key)vehicle.

Issues can occur. Electronic noise can interfere with the vehicle computer system.

Sometimes it is the little DC plug phone chargers and cheap-o inverters even that can wreak havoc on the electrical system. It is usually the very cheap/low-priced phone charger plugs (in the $1-$5 range), not the high quality $25 ones.

If you have issues, if you cannot start the vehicle, then just unplug all those lil rascals and try again.

Better yet, he concluded, is to use a nice inverter wired directly to the battery and power your devices off that since it can produce clean power. An inverter turns DC power to AC (household) power, but should nowadays have DC USB outlets in it also.

No discussion necessary as this is not an opinion piece, just information to keep in your noggin in case you have vehicle issues and a lot plugged in
15 REPLIES 15

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nowhere in OP's post did I see ASE certification.

All he said was he watched a youtube video from a "good" mechanic.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
An "ASE" certification is better than nothing as a suggestion that the mechanic is not an idiot.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess if you get a YouTube channel, or make a YouTube video, that makes you a good mechanic?

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I laughed as well. Scotty used to be pretty good. Now that he's getting a half million viewers on many of his videos, he's churning out 4 or 5 a day. They have become nonsense, not researched at all. Mostly just talking off the cuff about whatever comes to mind at the time.

RFOneWatt
Explorer
Explorer
I saw the same video from Scotty (whose videos I enjoy) and laughed.

He must not have had a good topic for his video that day.

-RF
Want a free and easy way to share files between all of your computers & mobile devices? (Android,IPhone,Ipad,Mac, etc.) Install this now and thank me later! ๐Ÿ™‚ http://bit.ly/eL1KjV

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
gkainz wrote:
philh wrote:
BS

"You talkin' to me?" ๐Ÿ™‚ or the OP?

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Garmin+GTN+750+and+SPOT+interference

OP, autos are pretty hardened against "noise" from added 12v equipment. Could it happen, possible, but I'd bet to other issues long before I'd blame a charging plug.

That is an interesting report on GPS receiver interference from SPOT. As a non active pilot, I tended to use multiple nav sources, especially when flying only on instruments. On one flight, I was out of radar coverage (and shouldn't have been, but that's another story), I was dependent on one instrument that failed, and did not provide feedback that it had failed. It was after that flight that I added a GPS to the mix.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
BS

"You talkin' to me?" ๐Ÿ™‚ or the OP?

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Garmin+GTN+750+and+SPOT+interference
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
BS

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
On the other hand, there are numerous anecdotal reports of a SPOT device causing Garmin GTN-750 and other general aviation GPS units to malfunction due to interference ... as well as numerous other combinations, but this particular interference affects me personally.

So, not RV related, but just a "does happen" report.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Inverters and plug in chargers can draw down the battery if the car sits for long periods of time. However if the car sits a little bit longer the parasitic loads of the car itself can do it too.

As for RFI bothering the computers... I know one of the Engineers for Chrysler (in fact I know a few but one in particular) He was my instructor when I went for my Amateur Extra Class (Got it too Scored 96% on the test and I tested out early so he's good).

He told how Chrysler tests.. The let the hams do it. full 100 to 1000 watt transmitters on a wide range of frequencies .

NO> The Engine Control Computer is protected from RFI and then some

I drive a Chrysler by the way.. No RFI issues. though the most I've hit it with was 50 watts on both 145 and 440 MHz
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Bluetooth and Alexa systems are more vulnerable and sensitive. Integration with automotive systems could cause some interesting effects. But I call hogwash even with nuclear EMP effects. A Carrington grade event would have to be to the second power to affect automotive grade electronics. Excepting Bluetooth and Alexa.

Mercury vapor streetlight "damage" in Honolulu was caused by massive amounts of salt water corrosion.

Just imagine YOUBOOB in the Starfish Prime nuclear test era.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
But I saw it on YouTube........
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Giving credit where credit is due...........................

I freaking HATE alternator voltage regulators built-in to ECU units because of psychotic charging curves.

However it is rare, very rare to see that sub component fail.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
People believe anything as long as it is "video" from a "mechanic"..

That mechanic is a hack, period.

"Inverters" by their nature can and often do CREATE huge amounts of RFI (Radio Frequency Interference).

Vehicle systems are pretty "hardened" against most normal interference, As a Amateur Radio operator, I have not owned a vehicle which has had "issues" with 40W or 2mtr/440 transmitters from the 70's up to and including a 2019 vehicle.

I even know a few "Hams" that even run HF rigs with 100W of output with no harm to the vehicle.