cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water dripping inside from my AC

Claybe
Explorer
Explorer
I just had the AC on in my camper for about a 1/2 hour and turned it from high to low and a pool of water dropped straight out of it. Anyone have any idea why? There obviously is water pooling on the roof, but I guess some has made it back inside or condensation???
11 REPLIES 11

Gary_
Explorer
Explorer
I had a leak inside the RV right after I purchased it new. It turned out to be a crack in the drip tray that was mentioned by wa8yxm. The dealer installed a whole new air conditioner!

woodland_park
Explorer
Explorer
I'll bet it's the gasket. I had a 5th wheel that started dripping as well. Turns out the roof had a bit of a dip in it in the area of the A/C and the gasket was the original and shot. Replaced the gasket and all was good. 4 bolts and a couple of connectors, roll it out of the way, clean the area, new gasket, re-install. Good luck!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Clean the filters inside the RV..

There are several possible causes but with two exceptions the solution is cleaning

Clean the fiters (First) as if the filters are dirty a partial vacuum is created above the filters,,, This sucks water (Condensate) out of the drip tray into the area in front of the evaporator coils (Evaporation has nothing to do with water)... Then when the fan slows, or stops NIAGRA FALLS.

Dirty water path (You need to be on the roof to fix this) or alge built up in the wate rpath can cause a steady drip drip even when the fan is running but sometimes the fan will hold the drips up

If the front of the RV is "low" on some designs it may cause the inner lip of the drip tray to be lower than the drip spot causing reverse flow.

But from your description I'd start by cleaning the filters

Icing can do it too, but rare. In fact Icing is more likely an effect than a cause but it can happen, and Dirty filters can contribute there too.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Claybe
Explorer
Explorer
Was in Minnesota and humidity was really high!

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
John Wayne wrote:
I'm betting if you saw water on the roof the drain holes are working, pull the inside frame off and look for a bolt head in each corner snug these bolts up do not over tighten just snug them up. Should fix your problem.

Ah but not always true. Mine would drip (run) and there was water on the roof. Turns out the drain hole were partially blocked. Cleaning them out solved the problem. It only happen in areas where the humidity was really high
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm betting if you saw water on the roof the drain holes are working, pull the inside frame off and look for a bolt head in each corner snug these bolts up do not over tighten just snug them up. Should fix your problem.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have the coils ever been cleaned? If the evaporator coil, under sheet metal on the front end of the unit, is dirty... Condensate can gather and drip inside. Also, ice/frost is very likely to form at LOW fan speed. Avoid Low if it's at all humid.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Do NOT over tighten the gasket, or it will leak even more. It needs to be compressed just enough to seal and that is not very tight. Been there done that. ๐Ÿ™‚

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Claybe
Explorer
Explorer
I looked up on the roof and there was water draining up there (have not been able to get on the roof yet as I don't have a ladder). I will have to inspect further when I get home. I am thinking it might be the gasket as suggested.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Could be clogged evaporator/condensate drain OR could be bad base gasket (the one around the 14X14" roof opening.

Could also be a combination. Once on the roof, easy to tell-- check the condensate drain first-- and while there probably a good idea to clean the condenser!

If that is not the issue, then buy a new base gasket. Yes, sometimes you can tighten the 4 bolts and further compress the old gasket, but they DO have a finite life and are not expensive. Pretty easy work with two people due, not to weight but to size of the roof unit.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Drain holes in drip pan in a/c on roof plugged
Or 4 bolts inside need to be tightened.

I have had to take off cover of ac on roof and open up the drain holes. If you can see the tell tale marks where the water was draining, the holes should be near by. I have used a long zip tie to work from the outside and free up the drains.

Just please be careful up there. I have been on the roof in a rest area fixing that problem...know people thought I had been in the sun too long or on the road too long.