Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water leak (again)

vampirefish
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone!
I thought I'd ask you experienced peeps out there about a water leak issue I'm having again. I take my 5th wheel to the same place for winter/summerizing and the first winter they bypassed the hot water heater to do so. The next year all was well... but a year after that I had a leak in a hose (crimp) that was located in the area of the new bypass. I took it in and was not charged for the "fix". Fast forward a couple years and after about the 2nd time out camping, the same issue arises. It looks under pressure (not drainage pipes). I got a call from the shop that the pipe needs to be re-crimped (duh) and that of course it will be spendy. Is there a pattern here of shoddy work or should I just always expect this type of plumbing to be sub-par? I'm guessing they just don't do very good work but don't want to make this assumption without some insight first. Thanks ahead of time!
2004 Jamboree GT 31W
11 REPLIES 11

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Got a kick out the "dragging your trailer down the road" post above. I would think a trailer would roll down the road.

Also, the Mice like PEX statement, Mice like just about EVERYTHING in that trailer including the wiring!

Keep us posted on your water leak adventure.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

64thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
You have a friend?? Must be nice, I don't have any. J/K.

I agree with the pex. It is a good product. The only leaks I have had were @ the pump connections or faucet connections.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

nm1oqrz
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. I agree with the PEX replacment but be sure that you mouse proof your rig good as mice like the taste of PEX. Ask my friend and he will tell you all about mice and PEX.
Happy camping nm1oqrz

westend
Explorer
Explorer
69 Avion wrote:
Trailers made in the 1980s to the mid 1990s used Polybutelene piping. It is the worst junk ever inflicted on the American public. In fact, it is the subject of one of the most expensive product liability lawsuits ever.
Repipe with PEX. I prefer PEX "a" because it flexes better than the others, but it isn't as widely used because it is more money.

X2
I replumbed my old Starcraft (total 50 crimps or so) with PEX and have pressurized the system to 80 psi with no leaks. As Avion says, the butyl pipe is what's working against you. Replace with PEX.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If they are using a silver clamp then that's the problem. It's aluminum and stretches over time. They need to replace it with a (slightly more expensive) copper clamp and it will last forever.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
Trailers made in the 1980s to the mid 1990s used Polybutelene piping. It is the worst junk ever inflicted on the American public. In fact, it is the subject of one of the most expensive product liability lawsuits ever.
Repipe with PEX. I prefer PEX "a" because it flexes better than the others, but it isn't as widely used because it is more money.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP: What part of eastern WA?
Whar shop are you dealing with?
Refer could have a minor intermitant problem.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

vampirefish
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback... I think I'm going to have them fix this and then go somewhere else... also my fridge hasn't been lighting (LP) for years and they told me it needed a new control panel. I want them to fix it now and they are telling me it works fine!
2004 Jamboree GT 31W

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You are most likely getting ripped. Many times you could replace using this type of fittings on the PEX tubing in your rig. Crimps can be an issue as if they do them wrong they can break or crack the fitting
Lowes
or these from Home depot

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you drag that thing down the road at 60+ MPH, things are going to come apart.

If you are talking about a 1983 (thirty years old) trailer. That plastic tube gets brittle as it ages. I wouldn't be surprized if the tube cracked near, or under, the crimp.

I doubt it's shoddy work. More likely an age problem. That tube gets bounced around (a lot) when you drag the trailer down the road, and, there is vibration from the pump and water running through it.

I've seen those crimp fittings come apart, even on trailers that are not towed.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Argosy24
Explorer
Explorer
I've made repairs on my plumbing in some pretty impossible places and not had leaks. Maybe time to find a new repair outfit. Sounds like one of those outfits that charges the customers for OJT.