cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water pump amp draw?

marquette
Explorer
Explorer
I am researching installing solar on my 1987 Scotty retro camper. It is currently put away and winterized and will be for at least another month. I converted it to LED lights last year. It has no micro wave, coffee maker, etc. so the only real draw is the water pump. So if anyone knows what the water pump draws I can try to figure out my daily battery usage to determine how much solar I need and if it is practical for boon docking with the trailer. It has a 12 gal water tank and we can go 3 days on a tank of water so I assume the water pump will pump 4 gallons a day.
24 REPLIES 24

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have older fridge, it doesn't take 12v.
If you do, you likely have propane detector too?
Than even I don't need to conserve much with my RV, I always liked those for outdoor use.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google says 5.0 DC AMPS two times haha...

MEASURING DC AMPS

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I would worry more about a hiccup when mixing martinis.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would give the fridge ~500 milliamps with 2/3rds duty cycle.
If you have a humidity control switch... turn that off.

marquette
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. Still working on the fridge draw when using propane. I didn't think the water heater used electricity since it has a pilot light and thermocouple.

MrWizard
I would estimate 4 amps when running
So a 15 minute shower would be 1.25 AmpHrs
And I doubt it runs that long in one time or you would empty your water tank, the avg pump of that era, is about 2.5 gals per minute

The water pump is not a major concern
Your fridge controls will use more power per day than the water pump
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

CapnCampn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've got a 1995 trailer, and the water pump is rated at 4A. I have measured it at 3.4A while pumping. So... if I ran it for 1 full hour, it would draw 3.4Ah.

I'd be surprised if it saw more than 10 or 15 minutes a day total - that would be less than 1Ah per day for the water pump.

There's some numbers for you.

CC

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
What size is your battery, and is it a true deep cycle?
Water pump is minuscule. Have you added fridge, water heater? Still a draw even if on propane.
Typically, 1 watt of solar per 1 amp of battery.

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
marquette wrote:
I am researching installing solar on my 1987 Scotty retro camper. It is currently put away and winterized and will be for at least another month. I converted it to LED lights last year. It has no micro wave, coffee maker, etc. so the only real draw is the water pump. So if anyone knows what the water pump draws I can try to figure out my daily battery usage to determine how much solar I need and if it is practical for boon docking with the trailer. It has a 12 gal water tank and we can go 3 days on a tank of water so I assume the water pump will pump 4 gallons a day.

I can't imagine your water pump significantly affecting your battery drain. Even if it draws as much as 10 amps, with a 12 gallon tank and a 3 gallon per minute pump your tank would be empty in 4 minutes. 4 minutes of water pump usage at 10 amps equates to about 2/3 of an amp hour out of your battery. Not even worth the bother to figure it.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You title it about amps, but you ask about amphr.
Too many variables to give you firm answer, but I don't think 4 gallons a day will put dent on your battery power.
I hesitate to put solar as I camp in the shades and drive under branches a lot, but even with 30 gallons of water and older lights, single battery would last us 3 days.
I was carrying old 40W panel on few occasions and set it on the ground, what was sufficient to keep the battery charged for the day.
No fridge?
Than if you really want to know, put amp meter on the line and test pump 1 gallon catching time as well. The amps will change with delivered pressure, but you will get starting point.