cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is the correct resting lifepo4 voltage?

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a Enjoybot 100ah lifepo4 battery when they were $349..The resting voltage after 24hrs was 13.30 without a load..Back and forth with the seller was interesting,so I decided to do a capacity test on it from a full 14.47V and I quit at 11.89V under a load and 12.0 resting for a few minutes foran even 100 amp hours...

I am assuming that a 13.30 resting 24hr voltage without a load is okay as it appears to have the advertised 100 amp hours plus a couple...All opinions welcome...

Resting after a couple minutes at 100 amp hours.

Under load when I hit 100 amp hours..

I had to raise the amp hours to 102 in the settings to get the % closer..

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04
12 REPLIES 12

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I only switched to the lower amp when I had to leave it unattended and I didn't feel comfy leaving the heat lamp on while I wasn't there, towards the end...This was the amps used for the majority of the test..

Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
jaycocreek wrote:
I bought a Enjoybot 100ah lifepo4 battery when they were $349..The resting voltage after 24hrs was 13.30 without a load..Back and forth with the seller was interesting,so I decided to do a capacity test on it from a full 14.47V and I quit at 11.89V under a load and 12.0 resting for a few minutes foran even 100 amp hours...

I am assuming that a 13.30 resting 24hr voltage without a load is okay as it appears to have the advertised 100 amp hours plus a couple...All opinions welcome...
jaycocreek wrote:
Some of this stuff is hard to understand and can consume one to try and understand it but I think different cells and make up give different results and in the end what I want is the amp hours I payed for and a fully functional battery..Battleborn uses cylindrical cells just like the new lifepo4 solar generators like Bluetti while others use prismatic which seems to be the most used in lifepo4 rv batteries...

While this battery resting is on the low side,it produces the full 100ah plus some,so I'm pleased with the purchase....One article says 3.30 resting is 90% another says it's still 100% and normal...Laffin....So if 3.30 resting gives me over 100ah,it must be full..right...:B
Available, usable ah is the most important consideration IMO. It appears your battery produced its rated 100ah, so all appears well. Sure, it would be nice if the voltages aligned perfectly with whatever lifepo4 SOC chart you choose to follow, but it's certainly not necessary from an operational perspective.

Based on your pic, get the impression you did you your ah capacity test with a 3.16a load? If so, that's a very low load current. It would be interesting to see how your battery performs under much higher loads, say .50c - .75c (50-75a with your 100ah lifepo4). These type of loads tend to quickly bring out any BMS and/or mis-matched cell issues which may not be apparent with much smaller loads.

Enjoy your new lifepo4!

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use the chart posted above and this one for comparison..

Thanks
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
jaycocreek wrote:
Some of this stuff is hard to understand and can consume one to try and understand it but I think different cells and make up give different results and in the end what I want is the amp hours I payed for and a fully functional battery..Battleborn uses cylindrical cells just like the new lifepo4 solar generators like Bluetti while others use prismatic which seems to be the most used in lifepo4 rv batteries...

While this battery resting is on the low side,it produces the full 100ah plus some,so I'm pleased with the purchase....One article says 3.30 resting is 90% another says it's still 100% and normal...Laffin....So if 3.30 resting gives me over 100ah,it must be full..right...:B

You can use the table shown as a guide for your particular battery, since you don't need to know exact numbers, but just want an idea of when to haul out the generator---today?, or can it wait till tomorrow?

The key to the high SOCs and voltage is what FWC pointed out a while back--the voltage drops as soon as you load the full LFP, down the knee it went up near the end of the recharge. So you see that 13.4 at 99% down 0.2 from 13.6 at 100% Then it flattens out so it is only down 0.1 from 99 to 90%.

The usual advice it to use your AH counter for LFP SOC since the voltages are so flat over the SOC range. IMO you can still use the "sort of almost resting" morning voltage as a cross-check on the AH counter. IE-before any solar can jack up the voltage and while the furnace is not on between cycles, no fans and lights. As soon as you have your reading you can turn stuff back on.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
otrfun wrote:
We've done a number of deep discharge SOC tests with our 200ah lifepo4.

Good to know. I've been wondering about the voltage SOC curve for my small LiFePO4 that I use with a radio for portable use.
The radio will object if the voltage goes too low
TOO LOW for the radio is 0% on your chart ((or lower))

Sounds like I'm good to talk till the power storage jar is (Battery) is dry..

Got a new portable antenna I need to test likely tomorrow or friday (Weather dependent testing today is a tad...er... damp)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II

Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've done a number of deep discharge SOC tests with our 200ah lifepo4. Found the following chart reasonably accurate as long as there is no dynamic charge voltage or load voltage sag present. BTW, this chart contains the same voltage/SOC data as the BB chart in BFL13's link.

Note, there's two voltage readings (13.6v and 14.4v) that reference 100% SOC in this chart. We found this to be true when the converter is on (in 13.6v absorption and/or 14.4v bulk mode), *and* little (<.1a) to no charge current is flowing.

This chart and personal testing has confirmed our decision to keep our 3-stage (13.2v/13.6v/14.4v) lead cell converter to charge our lifepo4 (vs. using a lithium/lifepo4 1-2 stage 14.6v converter). Zero chance of overcharging, plus for all practical purposes we're still able to charge our lifepo4 to 100%.

I might add we did try charging our lifepo4 with our our dc to dc charger at 14.6v (vs. 14.4v) several times. Discovered it provided no noticeable difference in available ah (or SOC), vs. charging at 14.4v.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The manual is for the battery I use for portable radio use.
The battery specs are not as detailed as I'd like but it says output up to 14.6
So that would appear to be "Full charge" voltage

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0219/0154/files/BLF-1212AS_User_Manual_rev_04_24_2019.pdf?271
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I read 13.3 to 13.4 is typical to rest down from 14.4-14.6 charging.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
13.6 resting is 100% SOC but it drops right off so 90% is 13.3 and then it is fairly flat going lower in SOC --there is a table with the BB's 100AH batt info on their site ISTR

https://1t1pye1e13di20waq11old70-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BB10012-Spec-She...
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
13.3 is fine
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
14.2 - 14.6 VDC.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R