cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is this valve for?

tbiker99
Explorer
Explorer
Any idea what this valve is for? I bought this camper used and the previous owner didn't know what it was for either. Nothing comes out when it's open. I don't know if it is a vent for a tank or a drain for the A/C, but I can't see why I'd want the ability to close either of those.

2011 Big Country 3494QBS
2006 Chevy Duramax,4x4 Crew Cab
Big Country 3494QBS
24 REPLIES 24

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gene&Ginny wrote:
OK, I'll bite.
BurbMan wrote:
Looks like a henway.
Whats a henway?

About Three pounds

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I'll bite.
BurbMan wrote:
Looks like a henway.
Whats a henway?
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like a henway.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Teeton wrote:
If it's for the fw tank. How is the tank vented when drawing water from the tank?? Should it be opened or closed????

Open, always open. Unless the tank siphons while driving, then closed only while driving.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

tbiker99
Explorer
Explorer
When I plugged it during filling, then let go it would splash a little dribble of water. I have no doubt that it could siphon water out of the tank. Now that I know what it is, and most likely why it's there, I can keep an eye on it and use it when necessary.
Big Country 3494QBS

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
tbiker99,

Now that you know what it's for, make sure it is open when you fill your fresh water tank. When the tank is full (probably slightly over-filled) you may see water come out that drain.

I put similar valves on ours because I've had incidences where I'd fill the tank, hit the road, and 2 hours later, there was still water siphoning out of the vent hose. One of these days, I'll fix that! LOL

In the meantime, I put a valve in line. Now if I fill the tank so the water drains out that valve before hitting the road, I'll close the valve down until it's just a very slight trickle. This limits the leakage yet can provide for air to enter the line should I use the water pump. If that valve is closed you will start creating a vacuum in the water tank, which might cause damage, and you will probably notice a decrease in water flow at the faucets. Usually, you will notice this when you go to use the bathroom in the middle of the night! LOL

Glad to hear you were able to figure it all out.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Teeton
Explorer
Explorer
If it's for the fw tank. How is the tank vented when drawing water from the tank?? Should it be opened or closed????

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
He opened it, and while filling the fresh water tank, air came rushing out. He found what it is for. It is the fresh water tank vent.
Bobbo and Lin

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Open it and see what comes out if anything. Then trace it down. But just because the hose enters the trailer at a given point does not mean it has anything to do with equipment directly above that point. It may just be a handy place to get the hose through the undercarriage.

tbiker99
Explorer
Explorer
I got home early enough to play. Sure enough, air comes out when I'm filling the Fresh water tank. It seems to be a vent with the option of closing it. Thanks for all the inputs.
Big Country 3494QBS

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know, I know, it's a, a, a.....damn, senior moment.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is even easier to see if that is the vent hose for the fresh water tank. While you are filling the tank, air RUSHES out of the vent. Put your hand in front of the valve and you can feel the air rushing from it. It is noticeable.
Bobbo and Lin

tbiker99
Explorer
Explorer
No Airbags, and it isn't a pressure rated hose. The Fridge is on the opposite side of the camper, so I don't think it's a drain for fridge or future ice maker option. The fresh water drain is actually the blue line that's blurred out in the picture and nothing comes out of it. There is already a anti-freeze inlet in another area so I don't think it would be used for that.

I posted this in the Heartland Owner's forum and one guy posted that it might be a vent for the fresh water tank. He said some people had issues with the vent siphoning off the tank, so they added shut off valves to keep it from draining their water. The last guy was the original owner, so if it was done and he doesn't know, then it would have been done by the factory or the dealership. I'm out camping right now, but I'm going to fill my fresh tank and then try to drain it with this valve closed vs open and see if it creates a vacuum on the tank.

thanks for the replies so far. If I can't figure it out, I'll call the factory.
Big Country 3494QBS