cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What type of battery lugs?

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
The lug on my main ground wire isn't looking too great. It's crimped and loose in spots.

I don't own the crimping tool. Do most DIY people use solder or best to invest in the tool?

Do I want a tinned lug? Silver solder or be a lead head?

Hoping to replace just 1 lug for cheap. Instead of buying in a nice kit with multiple sizes.
17 REPLIES 17

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
My memory says it was about $12 including eight feet of #2 wire, two ring terminals, and de-oxidation.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
I was able to take cable to West Marine and make up a new one using their tools. I bought new cable, crimp terminals and de-oxidation compound from them. the marine multi-strand cable worked great. Coated cable prior to crimping with the de-ox compound.
No charge for using their tool.

I am bettin that was EXPENSIVE but the "free" use of the tools made it not hurt so much.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
In my case when adding 2 additional AGM batteries to the first, I used 1/0 ga welding cable and copper lugs. Got the heavy little cast iron crimp tool that you hit real hard with a hammer....worked great. Then used electrical solder and then heat shrink.
AGM so no corrosion worries.
https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-D800-Hammer-Indent-Crimping/dp/B006VU5WX8

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe a 'barrel post lug' will fill your needs.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Its no big deal i think anyone who is going to solder their own lug will already know the difference. Or at least remember that there is a difference and read the package while at the store. Lowes and Home Depot around me sell both. Although ive never looked close at their electronics solder and flux. For that stuff i buy from online RC shops. 63/37 is what i like for shakey coffee hands.

Theres a store on ebay that has the lug, solder, and heat shrink for $6.50 each. Thats for 2 gauge. Was going to ask his opinion on tinned versus bare. Both are the same price.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Amber color hardware solder FLUX is cheap and effective for larger cables
That's some of the worst advice ever. Most of what you describe is "acid" flux, made for soldering plumbing. It's corrosive, and should never be used for electrical soldering.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The most acid resistant terminal for a battery is lead coated copper.

Copper can be crimped. Lead crimps like a lead balloon floats.

Tin offers some protection against battery acid but it will turn gray then black then the green appears.

Lead coated copper lasts for years, however, it is a hazard to solder. And lead is so soft that crimping may make it flow down to the point of exposing the copper beneath.

I have an MSA Mine Safety Appliance, full face respirator with Pb filter cartridges.

But I see now the primary source Quick Cable has de-listed lead coated copper battery terminals.

If I must use bare copper ring terminals I dunk them into molten lead quickly then shake the assembled terminal. This is usually used for salt laden seashore air connections like service panel wire and cable connections. Lead/aluminum interfaces are approved in panels. But in this one case I melt the PVC insulation into the cable stranding. It stops salt air from traveling up the strands of copper. Circuit breakers get partially dunked into low viscosity anti corrosion compound. Tropical seashore dripping humidity has got to be one of the more challenging jobsites I have endured.

NO KORRODE is nothing more or less than dollar-a-gallon cosmoline. It does zero to remove corrosion.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Vaseline Petroleum Jelly turns to liquid at 110F. Just keep it in mind. 1950's cars with 160 degree thermostats are a long way from 20-teens pizza ovens.

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
I used copper lugs but tin coated should work fine too.
Just follow the procedure Mexicowander spelled out. You do have a propane torch right? I followed up with heat shrink tubing with the heat activated adhesive just to make it look good but that's probably not necessary.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Any opinions on copper versus tin coated?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
Easy Install Battery Lug

Those are "universal" battery terminals. Not as good as factory pre-made, but plenty adequate. Make sure to coat the terminal and any exposed wire with grease (Vaseline works fine) to prevent corrosion.

And most place sell those for $1-$2 a piece !

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
My battery ground cable went to a grounding bolt on the frame. I replaced the cable with a 4ga starter cable.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
  • You need genuine 60/40 electronics solder
  • Hardware store solder will not work
  • Amber color hardware solder FLUX is cheap and effective for larger cables
  • Shine old copper with a sharp utility knife blade until all the strands are brand new copper penny bright. Scrape the strands then reshape to round with fingers
  • Use Vise Grips to hold a TIP of the terminal or lug with the wire tube facing upward
  • Heat the work not the solder with a torch
  • Pur a dab of flux in the bottom of the terminal wire well
  • Melt enough solder to fill the well half full
  • USE A RAG TO HOLD THE WIRE AS IT'S GOING TO GET HOTTER THAN HELL
  • Gently stick the cable copper into the well while playing the torch on the terminal body
  • THIS IS A SLOW PROCESS
  • When the solder is ready to WICK UP into the copper strands it will
  • Do not push down on the cable it will push molten solder out of the terminal
  • Heating may take a minute or so
  • When the solder WICKS UP the copper strands EASE bit by tiny bit the cable down into the terminal well
  • PATIENCE! this takes time be a craftsman! When copper is fully immersed, pour a bit of water down the wire insulation and watch it sizzle
  • This does NOT cause a cold solder joint!
  • Cool the work, then examine it. Good solder looks like chrome, bad solder looks like dried chrome aluminum paint.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I was able to take cable to West Marine and make up a new one using their tools. I bought new cable, crimp terminals and de-oxidation compound from them. the marine multi-strand cable worked great. Coated cable prior to crimping with the de-ox compound.
No charge for using their tool.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker