cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why Does My A/C Have These Slats?

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I have a 6 month old Jayco Jay Flight trailer. I looked at the user manual and it has pitiful little information about the air conditioner. I finally figured out how to clean the filter. I see this lever (circled in red) that opens a set of slats on the unit. Can someone please explain what these are for and when I should have them open or closed? They have always been closed since I picked it up from the dealer but they are open in this photo.

2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
7 REPLIES 7

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
superdutybob wrote:
Those slats when closed off,will direct cold air thru the other vents in ceiling.When you want a quick cool down.open them and more air will flow out.

I gave it a try today when the house got warm and it does dump cold air into the room like a hurricane. Thanks.

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III
Those are the "cool down after setting up" vents. Stand under there to cool down quick.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
superdutybob wrote:
Those slats when closed off,will direct cold air thru the other vents in ceiling.When you want a quick cool down.open them and more air will flow out.

Oh! That makes sense. Thanks. I guess if it cools down quick it will be cool directly under those slats, but not so much in the rest of the trailer.

Actually, it will cool the entire area and it will do it quickly. You can then close the air dump which will quiet the A/C substantially and then maintain the temps in that area very well.

^^^ Yup... my buddy has that configuration as well.. When he gets to a CG. he will open those slats and allow the cold air to DUMP into the RV.. once comfortable, he closes them and allows the air to be distributed via the ducting...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Yes that is correct. With the slats open you will get a dump of cold air right under the AC.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
superdutybob wrote:

Oh! That makes sense. Thanks. I guess if it cools down quick it will be cool directly under those slats, but not so much in the rest of the trailer.

superdutybob
Explorer II
Explorer II