cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window Tint

Jnbaun
Explorer
Explorer
We recently bought a new TT and the windows are not tinted. I plan on tinting them myself but I’m looking for opinions on the level of tint that I should use. I don’t want them blacked out but I’d like some privacy. I’m thinking 35% or 50%.
John :C
Wife - Renee:R and 2 young men: ages 24 and 19
12 REPLIES 12

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The faraday cage was copper peel from machining in City of Industry. Almost a thousand dollars worth scrap value when copper was cheap. I used cyclone fencing to male a mini quanson hut. Not funny when a DARPA exec said the FCC could have fined me several thousand dollars.
Back on track...
My son in law had a skilled person put tint on the west facing windows of his house. It is washed with water, sponge and microfiber cloth or it scratches.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Hardly. The only screams I got was when I bought a spool off 4 conductor 10 gauge Tefzel wire. An auditor asked me "Do you know we paid seventeen dollars an inch for that wire?"

I laughed. B,S

The conductors were solid silver. Bit the wire was way too stiff.

The men in black came on a Monday. After I used a high powered frequency generator testing batteries as a B2 flew overhead. I was forced to build a Faraday cage for the 1 700 lb transformers. The Skunkworks auctions only lasted one summer but I bought several tons of wire. Cable, and Hubbell fittings. Also a piece of titanium plate which I pounded on in Mexico.

:B Well, at least with the Faraday cage, you'll get a bit of shade. And if you could get the B2 into a holding pattern, just right, it could provide some extra shade too..... LOL
I love our local Gov't surplus outlet. Nothing like getting stuff you've paid for really cheap!!!! Ha ha ha!
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Hardly. The only screams I got was when I bought a spool off 4 conductor 10 gauge Tefzel wire. An auditor asked me "Do you know we paid seventeen dollars an inch for that wire?"

I laughed. B,S

The conductors were solid silver. Bit the wire was way too stiff.

The men in black came on a Monday. After I used a high powered frequency generator testing batteries as a B2 flew overhead. I was forced to build a Faraday cage for the 1 700 lb transformers. The Skunkworks auctions only lasted one summer but I bought several tons of wire. Cable, and Hubbell fittings. Also a piece of titanium plate which I pounded on in Mexico.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I snagged a roll of transparent film at the Skunkworks auctions in the eighties, Turned out to be gold film about 2mmm. For a project, I cannot imagine them using it on space or military projects. Since the windows in Quicksilver are fixed, I screwed up the first time I had a professional install it on all the windows and a foot wide margin on the windshield. What impressed me was the gold with throughout the plastic. It cuts solar heating like nothing else I've ever seen. Touching the teak panel overhead the temp seems to be about the same as touching glass. The installer told me "I have never seen anything like this stuff -- can I have the rest of the roll?" HA! FAT CHANCE! The roll weighed around forty-something pounds and the Lockheed auctioneer threw it in with my several hundred pounds of Space Shuttle Wire. I don't want to speculate about the film but it appears to the eye to get darker as the outside gets brighter. Very hard to see inside even when the lights are on, but with polarized sunglasses the film turns opaque black.

And now you just have to wait for men in black suits to come visit you...... :E;):B
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
Different types of tint. Some are for UV rays, not as dark. Some are dark. Some are mirrored. I would think calling an auto tint place and asking them, however you would probably be looking towards UV tint or mirrored to reflect...
Good luck!
Inquiring minds want to know...

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would go dark myself but beware

Though in the days they cut down on the heat inside and light. and prevent people from walking past from seeing into the RV

At night you can't see out but those outside.. See in just fine.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I snagged a roll of transparent film at the Skunkworks auctions in the eighties, Turned out to be gold film about 2mmm. For a project, I cannot imagine them using it on space or military projects. Since the windows in Quicksilver are fixed, I screwed up the first time I had a professional install it on all the windows and a foot wide margin on the windshield. What impressed me was the gold with throughout the plastic. It cuts solar heating like nothing else I've ever seen. Touching the teak panel overhead the temp seems to be about the same as touching glass. The installer told me "I have never seen anything like this stuff -- can I have the rest of the roll?" HA! FAT CHANCE! The roll weighed around forty-something pounds and the Lockheed auctioneer threw it in with my several hundred pounds of Space Shuttle Wire. I don't want to speculate about the film but it appears to the eye to get darker as the outside gets brighter. Very hard to see inside even when the lights are on, but with polarized sunglasses the film turns opaque black.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Won't dark windows get hotter? Are they dual panes?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Jnbaun
Explorer
Explorer
It does have shades but I’m also looking to help with reducing the heat so that the AC will work a little better.
John :C
Wife - Renee:R and 2 young men: ages 24 and 19

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Check with your DMV. Some states have limits on how dark the driver side, or both front windows can be.
OP said it is a TT
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Whoops, misread the question. Carry on.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jnbaun wrote:
We recently bought a new TT and the windows are not tinted. I plan on tinting them myself but I’m looking for opinions on the level of tint that I should use. I don’t want them blacked out but I’d like some privacy. I’m thinking 35% or 50%.
Does it not have window curtains, shades or blinds that offer privacy? Most do.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund