cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter battery storage

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
What's the common wisdom here? Over in the boating forums, everyone strongly advocates removing the battery, and storing inside, before putting the gear to bed for the winter. (Minnesota. -30F a possibility). I've taken to leaving my fully charged AGM's in the boat, not on trickle, all winter, without any issues for the last several years. But in the RV, it is a lead acid. Opinions?
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
8 REPLIES 8

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Simple answer to this one......
Fully charge batteries and disconnect.

Been doing it for 5+ years here in New Hampshire & never had a problem. If a battery get's discharged it will freeze & it's then HISTORY.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
I would put them on a maintainer while in storage.

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
When I owned trailers I took the batteries out and stored at home. Checked voltage each month and charged if needed.

With the motor-home (since 2006) stored in a lot without shore-power, I added two 9-watt solar panels. One for the chassis battery, and the other for the pair of T-105's house-battery bank. The panels do not require a controller and are connected 24/7. In the winter they are moved down from the overhead bed window to the dash panel since over-head bed keeps snow off the windshield.

I check the MH once every month to check batteries with a multi-meter to note state of charge, and run the generator, and engine to exercise them. The original batteries lasted 9 years (chassis) and 10 years (house) on the 2003 MH.

Note that the batteries only get charged otherwise when plugged into shore-power if camping on an electric site, or using the generator. This type of usage obviously did not cause early demise of batteries.

I do monitor charging with a clamp-ammeter for amp-rate, and voltage (at the battery-terminals) to insure all charging methods are working; converter/charger, alternator, and solar-panels.

If batteries are sufficiently charged they will not freeze in cold weather. Also; cold weather storage is much better than hot weather storage as mentioned in an early reply.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
As long as the wet cells charge is maintained there is no worry of freezing. Just maintain it the same as if it were summer.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I have mine plugged in and have a Battery Tender on the house battery and a trickle charger on the chassis battery.

Fully charged batteries don't freeze until -70 to -90 F.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
To me its a matter of where you are storing it for the winter. If its somewhere that you can keep it plugged in then leave the battery in. I have always left mine in, with unit plugged into 110. If you have to store it unplugged then remove.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Fully charged AGM's will make it through our MN winters, FLA, nope. Take your FLA out and store it in the garage fully charged and hooked to a trickle charger. If your garage is unheated, run the trickle charger on every payday for 24 hrs. You'll find out the correlation after a few years.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remove it, wash it down with a water/baking soda solution, bring it inside, and put a trickle charger, or better yet a maintainer on it once every month or so. Some maintainers can be left on indefinitely.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV