Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Xantrex/magnum inverter

rickhise
Explorer
Explorer
Excuse misspelling

My present xantrex unit 2000. about 8 years old.
Several years ago 400$ repair transistor issue.

Thinking of replacing it perhaps trying a magnum
we use ours on our houseboat.

Will also replace batts

Had 8 agm s

Any tips including places to research thanks
26 REPLIES 26

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I missed one item.

I have a trik-l-start between the "house" bank and the starter battery. This allows the solar panels to keep the starter battery in tip top shape.

Here is a picture of the led equipped (low amperage) switches:

rickhise wrote:
Thanks. I may have more questions This explanation looks quite thorough
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rickhise
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I may have more questions This explanation looks quite thorough

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I have four AGM 12 volt telecom jars.

Two are wired in a balanced manner and connect to a buss using a 1000 amp contacting switch.

The other two are wired through a second identical switch.

This allows me to charge one bank while using the other, or to strap them together, or to disconnect them entirely.

I use the connection to the inverter as the buss.

There is a third oem disconnect switch for the regular low amperage loads for the RV.

The solar charge controller has two 25 amp switches--one for each bank. Again that allows me to use one and charge the other, strap them together, or turn them off entirely. The switches have led lights built in to let me know visually if they are on or off. The charge wires go directly to the battery bank from the output of the solenoids.

The alternator charging path again has two separate paths, one of which is OEM and the other with #8 wire, with isolated relays rated at 100 amps each. I replaced the OEM 60 amp fuse with 50 amp automatic circuit breaker. I added a 2nd automatic circuit breaker to the "add on" charging path. I have manual control of each solenoid with a 2nd pair of led switches. The charging wires go directly to the battery banks. I monitor the charging using a hall effect digital meter. It shows a negative when the "house" bank is sending energy to the alternator.

rickhise wrote:
I need to a find out how you split the banks
and charge individual banks interested!
any interest in sending me those details

Diagram I could provide to my engineer
Thanks
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Airdaile wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
If you do do Magnum, be sure to get the remote panel. Having a remote panel increases the warranty from 2 to 5 years.

Where did you get this fact? This is Magnums warranty. And, WHY would having a remote more than double the warranty? Doug

I sent my 4 year old Magnum to the factory to be repaired and they didn't charge me anything. I investigated it at the time this was the policy.

Why would I make it up?

click

You need to clarify what you think you know. The Remote panel you relate too is NOT the regular RV remote panel. You just stated get the Remote panel. The required panel is the MMP or MP panel for the 5 year warranty. I have NEVER seen that panel and can gurantee it is not in any OEM RV below 1 Million dollars

Just talked to Magnum and that panel is not called a remote panel but a BOX panel. Magnum also stated that it is not warrantied in a RV mobile install. Only for Home or business use only and that will carry the warranty.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I am MOST interested in products that in fact need a warranty. The epitome of the "Best Warranty"

LIFETIME WARRANTY

Exchanged 6 times in 5 years. 2-times while on vacation, both were two hundred dollar tow jobs off the freeway. One time in a remote national park by a company that does not accept insurance ($375) the second time it took five days for a truck to arrive. Another time the parts store was out of stock

OR....

No warranty and six years of trouble-free service just like the new factory starter.

One of these scenarios will appeal to the person who drives 15 miles across town to save twenty five cents per gallon on gasoline.

Their inverters cost more, but Outback has unrivaled history of fewest warranty claims. My 1993 2500 SB Trace inverter sort of reassures me I chose wisely over Trace's competition. And outback was the destination for Trace's top engineers when they learned that XANTREX bought out Trace. They fled in droves. Xantrex downgraded Trace's FETs and transformer's to Junk status, to save a few dollars.

My Samlex is heavy and trouble free doing very occasional work.

It took me twenty six dollars to upgrade my Megawatt to the point where I can SHORT CIRCUIT the output leads and eventually the 1200 watts of input circuit board fuse fails. My least concern is that I damaged something.

Concentrate only on price and warranty and lose your hind end, part of both legs and most of your colon.

rickhise
Explorer
Explorer
I need to a find out how you split the banks
and charge individual banks interested!
any interest in sending me those details

Diagram I could provide to my engineer
Thanks

rickhise
Explorer
Explorer
rickhise wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
could be he is using the 12vDC generator plug
instead of shore cord and converter ?

I have the remote panel and I chose the amount of Amps to put back
In I thought by reducing the amount of amperage I recharge
Was better than high recharge amperage?

The Honda 2000 will handle about 10 amps while running the
boat too. Frig lights tv etc

On shorepowet I can select a lot higher amperage
thought that would shorten the life of the batts?
Thanks

rickhise
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:

I have the remote panel and I chose the amount of Amps to put back
In I thought by reducing the amount of amperage I recharge
Was better than high recharge amperage?

The Honda 2000 will handle about 10 amps while running the
boat too. Frig lights tv etc

On shorepowet I can select a lot higher amperage
thought that would shorten the life of the batts?
Thanks

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
For AGMs to "live long and prosper" you need to be able to charge at 0.2 C. I.e. 20 amps per 100 amps of storage. I get around this 'feature' by having dual twin banks so I can charge one at a time.
Regards, Don

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
rickhise wrote:
If I go back with 8- 6 volt AGMโ€™s
With a 2500 inverter/charger

What size batt would you recommend
500 amp/hrs minimum. Heavy use would be more. 3000 watts I would be at 24 volt battery and 400 amp/hrs.

As for charging I would get something that will about max out the little Honda. 1000 ~ 35 amps, 2000 ~ 70 amps. You need 120+ amps when utility power is available.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
You want fewer batteries (four instead of eight) and to recharge them (properly) more often. Can you use solar panels with the houseboat? Portable solar if necessary?

What model and size in watts is the "little red Honda"? You need enough watts to run the battery charger--do not use the DC output of the Honda

why only a few amps charging from shore power? Why not use the charger in your inverter/charger?

First read this about the care and feeding of batteries, including how to charge AGMs:

https://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TrojanBattery_UsersGuide.pdf

What engine power for the houseboat? What batteries if any for that and how recharged? Any way to link that with the "house" 12v system? ( I don't know how houseboats are set up compared with RVs)
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
jplante4 wrote:
If you do do Magnum, be sure to get the remote panel. Having a remote panel increases the warranty from 2 to 5 years.

Where did you get this fact? This is Magnums warranty. And, WHY would having a remote more than double the warranty? Doug

1. The limited warranty for the product extends for 24 months
beginning from the productโ€™s original date of purchase. Inverter/Chargers

2. The Warranty for the remote
The limited warranty for this product extends for a maximum of 12 months
from the productโ€™s original date of purchase.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

MrWizard
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s