Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yamaha EF2000iS 2,000 Watt Gen...x 2

bill-e
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,

I'm considering upgrading from my almost new Yamaha EF2400iSHC Portable Generator to a pair of EFS2000iS's for 4000w.

While my 2400w unit does the job most of the time. It is 75+ pounds and struggles with my AC (low line voltage)

My question has to do with the pigtail. I'm thinking I will often run only one generator, starting the second for AC or for when we're stuck in the camper for weather or need heavy electrical use. Can I leave the two connected with the pigtail and only start one generator? Or must I remove the pigtail and plug my camper into the generator with an adapter?
Thanks,
Bill

'15 Keystone Cougar 26RBI and '15 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
5 REPLIES 5

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
my camping buddy has a set...yes...he leaves them connected...altenating for normal ops...then starting both when running AC or Micro.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

bill-e
Explorer
Explorer
Since this was posted I've used the cable with only one generator, seems to work fine.

75 wasnt much for me until I messed up L5, now getting it on and off the pickup is an ordeal.
Thanks,
Bill

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What are you planing on doing with the 2400?

I do not know about the Yahama's but Honda says if you start one start the other.

From everything I know I strongly suspect this is CYA speak,, but .. I can not advise you go against the owner's manual's recommendations on this.
75 pounds to me is about... Well.. Not much.
of course you went with Yahama and that means I've not seen your manuals.

But I'd like to knwo your plans for the 2400
(But what I really want is a 1200i)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bill-e
Explorer
Explorer
So I purchased 2 Yamaha EF2000is and I'm a bit disappointed.

Running them in parallel I could not get my AC started (Brand new Airxcel 4800 series) My progressive unit would trip for low voltage and when disconnected (OFF) the contactor would chatter. I tried a bunch of scenarios to no avail.

I called PI and since the unit works fine while on shore power they dont believe it is the PI 30amp hardwired unit. The tech told me that they have issues with Yamaha units where when a heavy load is applied they go into non-sinewave mode and play havoc with the PI unit. Also that the chattering, even when off, is because the voltage is too low to keep the contactors energized.

After thinking about the conversation with the tech I decided to try something. I turned on my water heater and microwave....27 amps, so the generator and cabling are good because in order to supply 27 amps both generators needed to be contributing. So I turned off the microwave and with a load of about 17 amps being registered, I clicked on the AC. It started just like on shore power...a very small voltage drop and everything was working.

Leaving the fan on manual high but turning off the water heater, I let the AC run for a while and then slowly raised the temp until it cut off. After about 20 minutes the thermostat requested cold again and things ran like normal.

I'm not sure why it worked when turning on a second time but it did and voltage and current seemed good.

That was the end of the test but I ordered a hard start capacitor from Amazon to install next weekend.

I actually experienced a similar thing with my Yamaha 2400is but chalked it up to the undersized genni....probably not actually the issue.

So now I have 2 new 2kw generators that I probably didnt need though I like the idea of being able to run the full 30 amps when connected. I hope the new start capacitor obviates the need for the head standing when first getting things running.

Also, if I had to d it over again I would get the portable PI unit...too difficult to troubleshoot issues with it in line.
Thanks,
Bill

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I have two of the 2000s...

I don't remember what the manual says; but I have left the parallel cable connected and only run one generator before - usually because the other ran out of fuel. When you restart the twin, you'll hear the one already running change its "tune" just slightly and then the two start running in sync, kind of neat actually.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed