cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Vehicle w/ Best Back Seat for Passengers - Ram Mega Cab?

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
Greetings!

We are looking to purchase a 1 ton tow vehicle (2021-2024). We are aiming toward a Ram 3500 SRW CTD Mega Cab because its rear seats recline and it appears to have more back seat room than the Ford or Chevrolet/GMC.

We would like something with the best rear seat passenger comfort we can get -- we are assuming all of the 1-tons are good for front passenger comfort and can adequately tow a 9,000 lb travel trailer.

Has anyone compared the back seat comfort of the 1 tons and found anything better than the Ram Mega Cab in this measure?

Thank you!
33 REPLIES 33

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I believe the OP's intention is to tow a 9000lb travel trailer with a cab full of passengers. That does not require 2-1/2 tons of payload capacity or an 8ft bed.

Folks have been getting along fine with 6-1/2ft beds for decades now. I personally have not found anything that made me stop and say, "Gosh golly gee, I wish I had an 8ft bed." I've even hauled 16ft lumber in a 6-1/2ft bed. I'm not traveling from West Virginia to Colorado like that, but I sure can get home from Lowes.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Aside from losing bed space you also lose payload. Consider that.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
My 15 RAM Crew DRW has PLENTY of room in the back seat and I have some tall friends. I am tall and never have to move my seat forward. Never have understood the MegaCab thing as it causes you to loose so much bed space.

Well said... If I were a betting man, I would bet Ram will no longer make a MegaCab on their next gen trucks.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 15 RAM Crew DRW has PLENTY of room in the back seat and I have some tall friends. I am tall and never have to move my seat forward. Never have understood the MegaCab thing as it causes you to loose so much bed space.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD