cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1972 Amerigo Camper Rebuild

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
After posting a few comments on another thread, I decided to start this one under a topic more easily recognized. I also have started a blog at: http://www.tcreviver.com. Okay, MKish, here it is. I'll post to it whenever I get a chance. -Carey
'03 Ford F-350 7.3 LB SRW. Ride Rites.
Old rig '99 Lance 1130
New rig 2017 Jayflight 31QBDS
2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
394 REPLIES 394

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wagonqueen Truckster wrote:
Are you talking the rear jacks?

Yeah, going to go under the wing and up the wall, just couldn't tell from your pictures if there's a 2x2 that runs vertically on the driver's side from floor to ceiling like their is on the passenger side.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
Are you talking the rear jacks?

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's another pondering, Wagonqueen, you guys had yours apart, but on the rear that upright near the door, that goes floor to ceiling, is there a matching one on the shower side?

If the 75 I'm looking at checks out, I plan to continue the previous owners work converting it to standard jacks, and I've been going back and forth over your blog on a good way to attach the rear jacks and I got to thinking, why not make a bracket that goes under the wing, like the old one, but extends down the inside edge to the bottom corner, where the lower leg band would tie in.

This way, its one solid piece of steel that is both bolted through that upright member and the plywood in the tail, but also under the wing like the original jack mount.

I have a set of Atwoods electrics on my old KIT that will be going on the Amerigo (as the KIT will be headed to the great campground in the sky). The current owner attached a set with swing out brackets on the front already, but left the rear jack mounts in place.

I plan to rebuild his front mounts so that they go up under the wing, as well as bolt through the front corners, much like the ones I have on the KIT do (Might be able to recycle those with a little reworking).

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
Did not have any holes in the fiberglass on mine. It was in really good shape.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hmmm.... if all the stars align, I may end up being the owner of a 75' :), definitely save on having to re-engineer the wheel and end up combing bits of both my old campers into the Amerigo's body.

New question time! How did you all end up sealing the roof fiberglass on these? I've heard many a tale of the fiberglass being a tad on the porous side.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
Wanna see pics. It has been a little slow lately with new Amerigo builds. Mine is for the most part done. Now I want to see others. Where are you located?

teoracer
Explorer
Explorer
Im currently doing a 1970 amerigo snap n nap. It will not be all original more custom. im a race car fabricator so hope to show everyone my personal touch. Im having problems with uploading pics but I will make sure I share some soon.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Still searching for an Amerigo donor rig for my rebuild :p.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
1971amerigo wrote:
Truckster looks Great !!

Thanks... The paint job did not work out, but plan on trying again or hiring some to do the outside aluminum. Oh well.

What are your camping plans this summer?

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
The trip to FLorida was great. Gearing up now for local trips...Ohiopyle, Rickets Glen, Hocking Hills, Laurel Hill. Just to name a few. We thought about the truck camper rally, but we plan on going back to our condo in FL that week... So maybe next year.

76AMERIGO
Explorer
Explorer
Wagonqueen, your Amerigo came out great! How was your big trip??
I'll be sneaking into the MATC rally with a fifth wheel... 🙂
I guess when you meet and make new friends, and catch up with old ones it's hard to stay away......good bunch of people.
You should come on down and show yours off.....
Dave
2001 F-350 PSD C/C LB 4X4
1976 Amerigo w/ Snap N Nap *SOLD*
1979 CJ-7 304ci/Turbo 400
2014 Cougar Lite 28RDB

1971amerigo
Explorer
Explorer
Truckster looks Great !!

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
Any new or old Amerigo owners getting ready to pull out, gear up and camp?

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
Stainless Tiles

Mirrored the fridge

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer

Finally got a chance to take a few snap shots of the old girl during the Holidays. We went down to tile the backsplash. Still have a few more projects like ceiling trim, construct a bathroom door and finish the tiling.