cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2015 Chevy Colorado hands on impression

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
So my family and I are at Epcot and there GM sponsors a ride called Test Track. Pretty cool ride but my favorite part is the exit because GM stocks the exit area with some of their newest models.

There was a Colorado LT crew cab 2wd with leather and seems a lot options..touch screen etc etc. Looked like everything but 4x4.

Here are some pics I took of the important bits to someone who is considering buying one for towing.

Overall pic

Payload sticker pic

Receiver hitch label

Pic of the receiver

As to the impressions, the interior is very nice and comfy...the truck feels similar in size to a 1st gen Toyota Tundra Double cab.

The step in the bumper is useful and overall, I really like it.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~
49 REPLIES 49

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, that is almost identical to the payload of my F150.

Which causes me to wonder about the market for this, as it seems so close to the Silverado in most respects.

But it looks like a nice truck.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Fast0ne wrote:

What are you smoking. Lol

Hell I make 200ft pounds of tourqe at the rear wheels not the crank and that's at 4500rpm. So yet again your v8 has nothing on it. Well except being gutless and broken exhaust manifolds and oil burning and spark plugs that won't come out. Go trition v8. Lol

When should I stop. The tranny that has issues the poor fit finish inside and out. Ohhhhh wait it's just a Ford explorer with the rear cut off.

Sorry but the current colorado with the V6 will leave you behind as will my truck.

And yet a gain lets drag up the gm issues. Well they had the balls to fix a major issue caused by another member. Not like Ford back in the 90s with the crappy 5.0 v8 in the f150 that started to burn oil after a year or the ignition switch issues they had that caught fire or all the new mustangs in 93 that came off the car carrier with the wheel alignment so far out that it would burn off the front tires,or how about the 4 speed tranny that you had to lock out overdrive then the computer would turn the light out but the tranny was still in of and if towing it would blow up. They told people to bad you fix out of pocket and the******still goes on. With the new Eco boost that they can't figure out how to get moisture out of a intercooler and already showing blown turbos and oil burning.

? Is it just me or does the majority of this post make no sense?
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Fast0ne wrote:

Crappy v8 that still makes its power at the top end of its range. And it was even worse in the full size truck.

My colorado has a 1300 pound payload capacity. Which is really good for a small truck.

Guess what I tow a 3000 pound plus tralier with a i5 motor that has no issues at all. And still better than you v8. And as far as pulling 40mph winds check,going up 15% grade hill check going through all of bc Canada up every mountain at 60mph with the cruise set and a/c running check.

Hell I make 200ft pounds of tourqe at the rear wheels not the crank and that's at 4500rpm. So yet again your v8 has nothing on it. Well except being gutless and broken exhaust manifolds and oil burning and spark plugs that won't come out. Go trition v8. Lol

When should I stop. The tranny that has issues the poor fit finish inside and out. Ohhhhh wait it's just a Ford explorer with the rear cut off.

Sorry but the current colorado with the V6 will leave you behind as will my truck.

And yet a gain lets drag up the gm issues. Well they had the balls to fix a major issue caused by another member. Not like Ford back in the 90s with the crappy 5.0 v8 in the f150 that started to burn oil after a year or the ignition switch issues they had that caught fire or all the new mustangs in 93 that came off the car carrier with the wheel alignment so far out that it would burn off the front tires,or how about the 4 speed tranny that you had to lock out overdrive then the computer would turn the light out but the tranny was still in of and if towing it would blow up. They told people to bad you fix out of pocket and the******still goes on. With the new Eco boost that they can't figure out how to get moisture out of a intercooler and already showing blown turbos and oil burning.

Well if that's the company you like to stand behind you do that. And yes I worked at Ford for a year and gm for a year. And after what I seen at both you could never pay me to drive or push a Ford.

But the new deisel will be great and when gm installs the 4.3 it will get better.

But I am sure Ford will be out soon with a new small truck and install a motor with a turbo on it and everyone will praise them. Lol

Wow, must be that new legal medicinal stuff. ๐Ÿ˜›

What I could decipher, sounds like run away rants. But we get it, you are a Government Motors guys, that's fine.

Thanks for the post, it was entertaining. Guess those new Silverado engines need to be redesigned, they all have higher peak rpm outputs than the 4.6L 3V. Oh well, GM will finally get it right. ๐Ÿ™‚
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
This sort of Graphically displays the difference. This Ford Ranger would not have a problem with the smallish 5th Wheeler. No exaggeration can tow that at 60mph all day.
Biggest problem here is fuel usage , not performance

Another small US 5ver

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
lbrjet wrote:
The payload is impressive.

Yes it is! Considering that this is a loaded up LT model I was very surprised by this number. I imagine the 4x4 LTZ will have around 1,000 lbs of payload.

Makes you wonder what the target market for this truck really is?

I suspect that this truck will find a nice niche in the truck market.

Sitting beside this truck was a 2wd LT Silverado Crew cab loaded with leather, nearly the same package as the Colorado. The price was 44k where the Loaded Colorado was 32 and change.

What appeals to me about this truck is that it's large enough to fit a family of four comfortably, haul the family boat or small RV, commute economically, and fit in most parking garages.

This could be a huge hit for GM. Especially for folks like me who don't need a full size truck but occassionally need to haul more than 3500 lbs.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Many would scratch their head about the"payload" and towing ability this side of the world, but it would be a good lifestyle.vehicle for people in NA

Interesting...what kind of payload numbers would you expect down under out of a truck like this?

Thanks!

Jeremiah

You would be looking at 3000lbs or more 3200lbs for a Mazda Single Cab, 2500lbs for a DualCab. Max Towing roughly 8000lb, but others have happily towed up hills 9,200lb with a Ranger, but that well exceeds its weight capacity, Would be a lot of fun going down a hill:S

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:

What appeals to me about this truck is that it's large enough to fit a family of four comfortably, haul the family boat or small RV, commute economically, and fit in most parking garages.

This could be a huge hit for GM. Especially for folks like me who don't need a full size truck but occassionally need to haul more than 3500 lbs.

I agree completely. I have been looking at them and I have the same impression.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I was very impressed with these new midsized trucks til I saw those engine specs. I've already experienced an engine with that kind of (read, "lack of") torque trying to wrestle a trailer or load out of a tough situation. The diesel may well be the savior for this one as far as actual capability. On the flip side I've seen lot's of complaints about high prices, but the prices I've found are significantly lower than any (new) half tons with similar features.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Fast0ne
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:
Fast0ne wrote:
Sorry but the sport trac is a pile of junk. Lmao

But guess what the new colorado already has a company that has built a computer reprogram.

Trifecta has gotten the little motor up 31ft pounds of torque and 27 whp. Also they are working on a s/c for it.

So end of the day it will make more power and torque then the v8 sport trac. And way more than the outdated 4.0 v6.

But all in all the truck should have got the 4.3. Can't wait to see the new diesel this year.

Man what are you smokin'?? Do you even have a clue about the Sport Trac and it's capabilities??

It's the same high output 4.6L 3V used in the newer 2009 and 2010 F150s with up to 320 lbs of torque at 4000 lbs in the F150s and 315 lbs in the Sport Tracs. That along with it's 292 HP at only 5600 rpms.

My 4WD truck was loaded with the 70 lbs factory bifold hard locking tonnea cover. Without it, my 'actual' payload was 1288 lbs which is great for a Crew Cab 4WD midsize (with a backseat a large man can use).

The truck never struggled pulling my Jay Flight 19BH, that weighed about 5000 lbs, in 40 mph Northern Indiana winds.

Had that truck bed loaded over 1000 lbs without even a sag or a whimper from it. Very reliable and quailty built. In fact it's been my most trouble free vehicle. Second only by my 2012 F150. My GMs and Chryslers never came close BUT we'll see on the new GM after all their fines. Bet it whipped them into shape and changed their company for the better.

The new Chevy looks good if it would only get rid of that Sports car engine that produced only average V6 performance in normal rpm operating ranges. As I said if GM actually thought for a minute, they should had used the new 4.3L which has great torque and HP for a V6 in a real world 'usable' rpm range.

I bet next years model will get the 4.3L.

Crappy v8 that still makes its power at the top end of its range. And it was even worse in the full size truck.

My colorado has a 1300 pound payload capacity. Which is really good for a small truck.

Guess what I tow a 3000 pound plus tralier with a i5 motor that has no issues at all. And still better than you v8. And as far as pulling 40mph winds check,going up 15% grade hill check going through all of bc Canada up every mountain at 60mph with the cruise set and a/c running check.

Well if that's the company you like to stand behind you do that. And yes I worked at Ford for a year and gm for a year. And after what I seen at both you could never pay me to drive or push a Ford.

But the new deisel will be great and when gm installs the 4.3 it will get better.

But I am sure Ford will be out soon with a new small truck and install a motor with a turbo on it and everyone will praise them. Lol
2013 Holiday Rambler 187QB
2006 Chevy Colorado Xtream Crew Cab I5 240hp 250ft torque

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobertRyan wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
lbrjet wrote:

Yes it is! Considering that this is a loaded up LT model I was very surprised by this number. I imagine the 4x4 LTZ will have around 1,000 lbs of payload.

Sitting beside this truck was a 2wd LT Silverado Crew cab loaded with leather, nearly the same package as the Colorado. The price was 44k where the Loaded Colorado was 32 and change.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Many would scratch their head about the"payload" and towing ability this side of the world, but it would be a good lifestyle.vehicle for people in NA

Interesting...what kind of payload numbers would you expect down under out of a truck like this?

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
lbrjet wrote:

Thanks!

Jeremiah

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
I think your right Mike,

In most of the world there is a bunch of smaller and very capable trucks that can haul relatively heavy loads. Once this truck gets the small diesel in production it may gain a lot of buyers who want a smaller package but a lot of capability.

This truck may be popular with outdoorsmen too. Back when the Ranger, S10, Hardbody, and Tacoma were all competing in this segment nearly all of my hunting buddy's had small 4x4 trucks.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

More than small diesel required, It needs to be rebuilt on a much heavier and sturdier frame.The lightweight frame that it is on now will not cut it. The towing and payload capabilities will be way down on what the Global Pickups get. Still it will get much better FE than the current car based engines can give

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
lbrjet wrote:

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
As a former Nissan Frontier (06 V6 AT) owner having towed a 22' 4050lb TT with it. I would have no problem towing that same trailer with the GM twins. The Frontier is way down on power compared to the twins. Plus it's a little bigger overall which would help with stability.

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
TFL Truck did a tow test with a Canyon going up to Eisenhower Tunnel towing between 5 and 6k and were impressed. I don't know what gear they were in but the truck ran at around 5k RPM for most of the ride and was not that noisy in the cab, 70db if I remember correctly.

I posted the link in one of the other Colorado threads but here it is again, Canyon towing. They also tested a Nissan Frontier up the same route towing a boat that weighed close to the same as the trailer but it didn't do as well, Nissan towing.

Edited to add that speculations are that GM didn't use the 4.3 because they didn't want to take from the full size market share. The 3.6 also gets a little better MPGs.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado