cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2015 Chevy Colorado hands on impression

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
So my family and I are at Epcot and there GM sponsors a ride called Test Track. Pretty cool ride but my favorite part is the exit because GM stocks the exit area with some of their newest models.

There was a Colorado LT crew cab 2wd with leather and seems a lot options..touch screen etc etc. Looked like everything but 4x4.

Here are some pics I took of the important bits to someone who is considering buying one for towing.

Overall pic

Payload sticker pic

Receiver hitch label

Pic of the receiver

As to the impressions, the interior is very nice and comfy...the truck feels similar in size to a 1st gen Toyota Tundra Double cab.

The step in the bumper is useful and overall, I really like it.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~
49 REPLIES 49

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
Really nice looking, my buddy that I work with loves his. I really enjoyed taking it around town, very comfortable interior and very nice to maneuver around town. I actually like the looks of your ext cab over his crew cab and all trucks should come from the factory leveled like yours imo.

CJBROWN
Explorer
Explorer
hawkeye-08 wrote:

Is the platform in the backseat for your dog(s)? Do you put anything on the console to protect it? Is your dog restrained (leash or harness)?

Thanks, sorry for the hijack...

No problem...time for a 500 mile update, got a new pic now.

Yes, the cargo and dog platform is for the dogs, whole write-up here:
Colorado Dog/Cargo Platform Build

They have been popular, sold a half dozen of them in the first week so I've been busy cranking them out. Very handy for grocery bags, gear, cargo, whatever, and of course our 3 dogs, however we haven't even been on a trip yet. I still need to get the blue-ox baseplate and set it up for towing.

No, we don't strap the dogs in. I guess if we pile it in they'll go flying. I don't wear seatbelts in the motorhome either. I like living dangerously. Besides, I put thousands of miles on motorbikes, on and offroad, split traffic, ride break-neck...so when my time is up then it's up. LOL.

The I4 is a neat little motor and I'm happy with it to keep things light and simple. I'm getting about mid-17's for city driving unless I baby it or make all the lights. As soon as you get on the freeway it's easy to coax mid to high 20's. I need to get some more travel time on it to know for sure. If you tromp on it then it sounds like a cavalier. LOL.

The Zone Offroad leveling lift works really nicely, for $65 is the best mod so far.

Fit and finish is mercedes benz quality, simply amazing. It drives just excellent, very happy with it.

Chris & Sherry Brown
05 Itasca Sunrise 31W โ€ข '13 Subaru Crosstrek toad

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
The final Journey a customised version of the Mazda

Not to be outdone and inline with the thread a Holden Colorado

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
Mazda used by Electrician. One thing people in the US would find strange is these vehicles have been designed to go Off Road a lot, as well, unlike the Chevrolet Colorado

Not surprising at all. Not too many years ago our trucks and SUVs were much more off-road oriented. I had a bone-stock Mazda B2600 4x4. It had a 1600 pound payload, and while it didn't have much power, it had low gearing, good ground clearance (with skid plates and no air dam) and was very capable off-road. Toyota had a 2WD "1 ton" with a 2600 lb. payload. Compact trucks have become bigger, more powerful, have bigger cabs and smaller beds. They make good passenger vehicles and are useful for towing much larger trailers than their ancestors, but aren't much use for either off-road or hauling chores. If not for the huge profitability of full size pickups, compacts here may have evolved more like they did in Australia

I ran a small landscaping business for a few years and ran a Chevy 2500HD pickup with a dump insert. It was a fantastic rig for what I used it for, but I would have much rather had a Holden Colorado (or Ford's equivilant) with a six speed manual,the 2.8 diesel and an aluminum dumping flatbed.

The bed is normally fixed and put on by the factory or outside suppliers about 8ft long normally. You can get tipper versions Even manuals tend to be disappearing with these

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
RobertRyan wrote:
Mazda used by Electrician. One thing people in the US would find strange is these vehicles have been designed to go Off Road a lot, as well, unlike the Chevrolet Colorado

Not surprising at all. Not too many years ago our trucks and SUVs were much more off-road oriented. I had a bone-stock Mazda B2600 4x4. It had a 1600 pound payload, and while it didn't have much power, it had low gearing, good ground clearance (with skid plates and no air dam) and was very capable off-road. Toyota had a 2WD "1 ton" with a 2600 lb. payload. Compact trucks have become bigger, more powerful, have bigger cabs and smaller beds. They make good passenger vehicles and are useful for towing much larger trailers than their ancestors, but aren't much use for either off-road or hauling chores. If not for the huge profitability of full size pickups, compacts here may have evolved more like they did in Australia

I ran a small landscaping business for a few years and ran a Chevy 2500HD pickup with a dump insert. It was a fantastic rig for what I used it for, but I would have much rather had a Holden Colorado (or Ford's equivilant) with a six speed manual,the 2.8 diesel and an aluminum dumping flatbed.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
An example of non-existent in the US, a IVECO Daily Van used to transport horses, with lift off body

Typical working Farm Truck

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:
Not familiar with Australia. My understanding which could be wrong, is that 'down under' is vast, with much of the interior relatively not as developed as many of it's large urban centers on the coast.

The interior is rugged and demanding on vehicles, hence the market for heavy duty, 4WD, smaller vehicles needed to deal with the terrain.

I'm aware of road trains used where other countries might use rail to transport goods.

Just guesses on my part, never having been to Australia. I could be dead wrong, or just merely guilty of watching Crocodile Dundee too many times.

Les ๐Ÿ™‚

Basically yes. The irony is we have more paved road per head than the U.S., but three times as much dirt roads You do get heavier larger vehicles, but AWD, 4WD used vastly more than in the US
We have "lifestyle vehicles" as well, but they can be the Global Pickups if so desired.
There are no US HD Pickup Trucks used as work vehicles, they are primarily used as RV towers or Lifestyle vehicles

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not familiar with Australia. My understanding which could be wrong, is that 'down under' is vast, with much of the interior relatively not as developed as many of it's large urban centers on the coast.

The interior is rugged and demanding on vehicles, hence the market for heavy duty, 4WD, smaller vehicles needed to deal with the terrain.

I'm aware of road trains used where other countries might use rail to transport goods.

Just guesses on my part, never having been to Australia. I could be dead wrong, or just merely guilty of watching Crocodile Dundee too many times.

Les ๐Ÿ™‚

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
You guessed right, heavy duty everything including frame

It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of actual component specs.

I doubt they will print that. Here and in Asia, they are used as proper workhorses, although they use a lot vehicles for work purposes, that are either rare or non-existent in the US
The new Navara, (shares body with Frontier)with a new smaller twin turbo 2.3 litre Diesel will have at least 2,200lb payload for the DUAL CAB, they are also working on a new " near 3 litre" to have more power than the 405lbs ft older 3 litre version
Mazda with typical load, using BT 50 as example of the Global Pickups versatility

Stock Mazda Off Road

Towing a 5th Wheeler

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I want one with the Mini Duramax.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
RobertRyan wrote:
You guessed right, heavy duty everything including frame

It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of actual component specs.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
Shelshy wrote:
The 1400+ payload is *really* impressive

It's kind of sad that that is impressive today, considering that Japanese mini trucks from 30 years ago had those kind of payload specs.

Now those payloads have grown to 3000lb +

I wonder if the Australian market Japanese trucks are different models from the North American market models ? Or are they Tundras and Tacomas....the same as we have over here in NA ?

I was wondering if the trucks that have a 3000 lb. payload...are Tundras, etc. If they are, have there been different suspension components, heavier shocks, heavier duty springs, etc....to bring up the payload ratings ?

You guessed right, heavy duty everything including frame . The only thing they have in common is the Colorado name. These " Colorado's tow 27-30ft 5vers, something that would be hard for a lot of US 1/2 tons to do let alone 1/4 tons
Holden Colorado with Ute Bed

Fast0ne
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
Fordlover wrote:
Fast0ne wrote:

What are you smoking. Lol

Hell I make 200ft pounds of tourqe at the rear wheels not the crank and that's at 4500rpm. So yet again your v8 has nothing on it. Well except being gutless and broken exhaust manifolds and oil burning and spark plugs that won't come out. Go trition v8. Lol

When should I stop. The tranny that has issues the poor fit finish inside and out. Ohhhhh wait it's just a Ford explorer with the rear cut off.

Sorry but the current colorado with the V6 will leave you behind as will my truck.

And yet a gain lets drag up the gm issues. Well they had the balls to fix a major issue caused by another member. Not like Ford back in the 90s with the crappy 5.0 v8 in the f150 that started to burn oil after a year or the ignition switch issues they had that caught fire or all the new mustangs in 93 that came off the car carrier with the wheel alignment so far out that it would burn off the front tires,or how about the 4 speed tranny that you had to lock out overdrive then the computer would turn the light out but the tranny was still in of and if towing it would blow up. They told people to bad you fix out of pocket and the******still goes on. With the new Eco boost that they can't figure out how to get moisture out of a intercooler and already showing blown turbos and oil burning.

? Is it just me or does the majority of this post make no sense?

some people can't think and type at the same time ๐Ÿ™‚

No I can think and type only people that think Ford is some good vehical have a issue with my post.
2013 Holiday Rambler 187QB
2006 Chevy Colorado Xtream Crew Cab I5 240hp 250ft torque

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobertRyan wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
Shelshy wrote:
The 1400+ payload is *really* impressive

It's kind of sad that that is impressive today, considering that Japanese mini trucks from 30 years ago had those kind of payload specs.

Now those payloads have grown to 3000lb +

I wonder if the Australian market Japanese trucks are different models from the North American market models ? Or are they Tundras and Tacomas....the same as we have over here in NA ?

I was wondering if the trucks that have a 3000 lb. payload...are Tundras, etc. If they are, have there been different suspension components, heavier shocks, heavier duty springs, etc....to bring up the payload ratings ?