cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 F350

bighog01
Explorer
Explorer
Eyeing a nice used one with 32,000 miles. 6.7L Lariat dually. Considering the move to Ford at least for a little while. This would be my first ever Ford. Any known problem areas with these trucks? How about mpg's?
36 REPLIES 36

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
The PM22 Motorcraft fuel additive dates back 14-15 years ago. Ford does not require to use it nor do I use it in the 130k miles on my current truck. I did use it from time to time in my 6.0PSD truck since it gave a nice bump in fuel economy in that truck.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
brooks379 wrote:
blofgren wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
?????
Dumping an 2014 Ram DRW Mega cab for a used 2015 Ford F-350 just need to ask what is wrong with the Ram?
I don’t think I would trade a 2014 that you likely bought new, for used F350, that is only one year newer.

x2. The 6.7L PSD is light years ahead of the previous 2 diesels in the Super Duties, but I would recommend you look under the hood of that truck you are considering and then under the hood of your Ram. You can then be the judge of the cost difference of potential engine repairs. If you are going to buy the Ford I would recommend using the Ford recommended fuel additive, buy fuel in high volume stations only and keep your receipts.

JMHO after owning 3 Fords over 20 years, 2 of them diesels.

??????? I have owned Ford Powerstrokes since 1994 and currently own a 2014 6.7 I bought new and I have NEVER put anything in my fuel, ever. All my trucks ran into the 2 to 4 hundred thousand miles without any proplems other than regular maintaince.

Your 2014 is a completely different animal than a 1994 7.3L. Ford recommends fuel additives to protect the CP4 high pressure fuel pump in the 6.7L.

My 2014 6.7 just turned over 100,000 miles and has never had a drop of anything but low sulfer diesel put in the fuel tank and only high quality motor oil in the engine with no problems at all.

I also own some Peterbilt semi trucks and every time I pull up for fuel I see guys dumping all kinds of high dollar additives in their fuel tanks and my Peterbilts have also never had anything but fuel put in them and most of them hit the one million mile mark without any problems. Good , quality filters, oil and fuel is all they ever get and a lot of work.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
brooks379 wrote:
blofgren wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
?????
Dumping an 2014 Ram DRW Mega cab for a used 2015 Ford F-350 just need to ask what is wrong with the Ram?
I don’t think I would trade a 2014 that you likely bought new, for used F350, that is only one year newer.

x2. The 6.7L PSD is light years ahead of the previous 2 diesels in the Super Duties, but I would recommend you look under the hood of that truck you are considering and then under the hood of your Ram. You can then be the judge of the cost difference of potential engine repairs. If you are going to buy the Ford I would recommend using the Ford recommended fuel additive, buy fuel in high volume stations only and keep your receipts.

??????? I have owned Ford Powerstrokes since 1994 and currently own a 2014 6.7 I bought new and I have NEVER put anything in my fuel, ever. All my trucks ran into the 2 to 4 hundred thousand miles without any proplems other than regular maintaince.

Your 2014 is a completely different animal than a 1994 7.3L. Ford recommends fuel additives to protect the CP4 high pressure fuel pump in the 6.7L.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
bighog01 wrote:
Educate me on these additives being added to the Ford diesels. I don't recall GM requiring these and never had to add any to the Cummins.

They seem to need a little EXTRA attention like special oil.:B

If your cummins starts consuming oil because of carbon buildup from the EGR and causing ring jacking... Valvoline got you covered with some ~$80/gallon oil.

OP,
The 6.7 Power Stroke does not require oil additives. Just simply follow the Oil Change Minder and when it tells you its time to change the oil, then you can experience a very easy and enjoyable oil change process and not have to remove intakes or deal with working around that tiny hole in the fender just to remove a simple oil filter.

I know you never post anything false or exaggerated when it comes to RAM/Cummins/FCA, so you must just be honestly mistaken regarding the oil.

Here it is at Walmart for $25/gallon, should you want to go that way. Just trying to save you some $ on your (wink wink) Cummins that you own.

Oil for the Troller

Troll Man,
Did you even look at the picture?

Now thats some pricey oil....
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
bighog01 wrote:
Eyeing a nice used one with 32,000 miles. 6.7L Lariat dually. Considering the move to Ford at least for a little while. This would be my first ever Ford. Any known problem areas with these trucks? How about mpg's?

I didn't read through but Ford markets several F350srw with a 10000 gvwr on up to a 1500 gvwr and three different rawr numbers.
You may not want to buy a 10000 gvwr F350 srw...if it matters to ya'.

It's a DRW he's looking at not a SRW. 😉
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
delete ...wrong topic....jim
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
Bionic Man wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
bighog01 wrote:
Educate me on these additives being added to the Ford diesels. I don't recall GM requiring these and never had to add any to the Cummins.

If your cummins starts consuming oil because of carbon buildup from the EGR and causing ring jacking... Valvoline got you covered with some ~$80/gallon oil.

OP,
The 6.7 Power Stroke does not require oil additives. Just simply follow the Oil Change Minder and when it tells you its time to change the oil, then you can experience a very easy and enjoyable oil change process and not have to remove intakes or deal with working around that tiny hole in the fender just to remove a simple oil filter.

I know you never post anything false or exaggerated when it comes to RAM/Cummins/FCA, so you must just be honestly mistaken regarding the oil.

Here it is at Walmart for $25/gallon, should you want to go that way. Just trying to save you some $ on your (wink wink) Cummins that you own.

Oil for the Troller

Troll Man,
Did you even look at the picture?

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Just had to replace the EGR cooler on my '13. All plugged with carbon. Research tells me it's not unheard of. Put a new EGR valve and coolant in it too. Other than that, a couple sensors, brakes and tires. Almost at 78k on it now.

Note: I blame the EGR on the hours of stop and go **** traffic I sit in daily. JMO. And it isn't only Ford that suffers from it. RAM/Chevy/CAT, heavy equipment etc. Happens to them all sometimes.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
buc1980 wrote:
What year is that?

2011.... Also still had original transmission

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
bighog01 wrote:

OP,

Oil for the Troller
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
What year is that?
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
This one ran as a hotshotter and never saw any fuel additives it's entire life. Turbo and water pump was replaced.

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
bighog01 wrote:

OP,

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
?????