WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~
138 REPLIES 138

rsaylor3
Explorer
Explorer
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2016-nissan-titan-xd-press-kit

I think there may be a good place for this truck. We still have to wait a bit and see further reviews and tests to make sure though.

We should ask be happy anytime a manufacturer makes changes and pushes the envelopes. It's what brings us better products from all of the time and time again.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Wishin wrote:
I'm mostly skeptical of this truck with regards to payload. It weighs an awful lot but I haven't yet seen a GVWR number so I really question if a loaded up model with top 2000 lbs of payload or come anywhere's close.

GVRW is 8800-8990 pounds, curb weight 6709-7480. An S trim 4x4 model has an almost 2100 pound payload, while a Platinum trim 4x4 is just under 1500. Not 2500 series territory, but well above the only other truck in its class which has payloads in the 900-1500 lb range.

The S model 4x4 with an approximately 9K GVWR and 7K curb weight is very close to 2500 series diesel pickups of 15 years ago. Power specs are about there as well.

So, all rhetoric aside this truck does appear to fit right in between most 1500 series and 2500 series pickups in terms of payload, GVWR and towing capacity. The exception is the F150 with the max payload/max towing packages, which roughly equal or exceed the Nissan XD specs.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
Saw these specs in a Detroit Free Press review of the XD published this week:

Specifications as tested

Engine: 5.0L 32-valve V8 diesel

Power: 310 hp @ 3,200 r.p.m.; 555 lb-ft of torque @ 1,600 r.p.m.

Transmission: Six-speed automatic

Wheelbase: 151.6 inches

Length: 242.9 inches

Width: 79.4 inches

Height: 78.7 inches

Curb Weight: 7,480 lbs.

Is that curb weight correct? If not mistaken it weighs more than my Ram 3500 SRW with the 5.9 under the hood.

The review stated Nissan claims a towing capacity of at least 12000 lbs. but no mention of payload capacity. Definitely need some wallet capacity to buy it. The model tested (Platinum Reserve 4x4) had a sticker of 60K.

Yes, the Titan with the Diesel engine weighs more than the F250 (same config) with a 6.2L Gas engine by 200 lbs. "YET" it has a GVWR that's 1000 lbs "LESS". This isn't a HD pickup, it's a very heavy 1/2 ton with 1/2 ton capabilities.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Saw these specs in a Detroit Free Press review of the XD published this week:

Specifications as tested

Engine: 5.0L 32-valve V8 diesel

Power: 310 hp @ 3,200 r.p.m.; 555 lb-ft of torque @ 1,600 r.p.m.

Transmission: Six-speed automatic

Wheelbase: 151.6 inches

Length: 242.9 inches

Width: 79.4 inches

Height: 78.7 inches

Curb Weight: 7,480 lbs.

Is that curb weight correct? If not mistaken it weighs more than my Ram 3500 SRW with the 5.9 under the hood.

The review stated Nissan claims a towing capacity of at least 12000 lbs. but no mention of payload capacity. Definitely need some wallet capacity to buy it. The model tested (Platinum Reserve 4x4) had a sticker of 60K.

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm mostly skeptical of this truck with regards to payload. It weighs an awful lot but I haven't yet seen a GVWR number so I really question if a loaded up model with top 2000 lbs of payload or come anywhere's close. Personally this truck does not appeal to me, but I'd love to have this engine in my Suburban!
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
spoon059 wrote:
otrfun wrote:
A year or so ago many on rv.net professed the Ecodiesel as DOA due to payload, weight, price, and various tow tests.

Deja vu?
I don't think its DOA, it just isn't what I hoped it would be. I ended up buying a Ram 2500 this summer because I needed the extra payload that my Tundra just didn't have. I think a lot of people were hoping that the Titan would offer a little better fuel mileage, a little better towing experience and a little better payload.

I am sure there is a market for this vehicle, but its not as stout a vehicle as we had hoped.

There is a difference between a worthless vehicle and a vehicle that doesn't meet a specific need...
And, that difference is exactly my point. Those who professed the Ecodiesel DOA (i.e., worthless) forgot or ignored the fact that not everyone has the same needs and wants. After more than a year of production, and scrutiny, the Ecodiesel is far from DOA.

Fast forward to the Nissan XD Titan Cummins.

Deja vu? I lean toward yes.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
otrfun wrote:
A year or so ago many on rv.net professed the Ecodiesel as DOA due to payload, weight, price, and various tow tests.

Deja vu?

I don't think its DOA, it just isn't what I hoped it would be. I ended up buying a Ram 2500 this summer because I needed the extra payload that my Tundra just didn't have. I think a lot of people were hoping that the Titan would offer a little better fuel mileage, a little better towing experience and a little better payload.

I am sure there is a market for this vehicle, but its not as stout a vehicle as we had hoped.

There is a difference between a worthless vehicle and a vehicle that doesn't meet a specific need...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
For those who have not been on the 1500 eco diesel forum, go to the towing section and read some threads about what the 3D can do and in commercial applications. Its not perfect guys but they are proving the little Italian diesel in real time towing 6-10k lbs and receiving mileage figures that are well incredible. Some have over 190k miles and running perfect. It appears this power train with the ZF 8 speed and combining full air suspension will prove itself as a viable towing machine for us in the RV world.

Does it have emission issues? yes. Should you buy your diesel and DEF at truck stops? yes. The Nissan will have them as well. Heck the big rigs are dealing with the challenge of a cleaner exhaust. That being said, we do have options, and its not all a screaming gasser getting 10mpg. I welcome the innovation...

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:

Deja vu?

Really depends upon your trailer's tongue weight and how much you like diesel.

For sure they both make for great boat haulers where people are often towing at 5-10% TW.

Personally, I like diesel's low rpm HP and torque, and mileage having cruised all over with a 2005 Passat TDI and 2500# tent trailer. But my current trailer has over 1200# TW, and we carry lots of stuff to Florida, so I need at least 2000# payload.

I didn't really think the EcoDiesel would work given the RAM 1500's typical low payloads. But Nissan was/is advertising that the XD is something more than a half-ton, so we assumed something like an F150 with HD Payload. Nope, payloads are nowhere near that. Thus the greater disappointment.

The only way it is different than a typical half-ton is that it's heavier, for better or worse, and has a 5L Cummins diesel. At least with the diesel it's mileage won't be as bad as it'll be with the 5.6L gas V8 they'll also be offering.

There are advantages to heavier trucks: stronger components, the Titan XD drive train is heftier than the F150 HD Payload truck to support all the low rpm diesel torque; the frame might be stronger as it comes from the NV 2500/3500 vans; a heavier truck can be pushed around less by a heavy trailer (but how heavy a TT can you pull with low payloads?); a heavier truck might be safer in a collision with an Elk (got this from another forum).

Anyway, I'm still waiting for the KingCab numbers. Maybe those will look better, and we're interested in shorter trucks anyway.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II

Deja vu?

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:
IdaD wrote:

I dunno - the gap between a half ton and a diesel HD truck is huge. I think there's plenty of room for a tweener like the XD to work out. Even if it isn't any faster than an Ecoboost, it still has a stouter chassis and driveline and should handle an 8-11k load better. Not like a big diesel of course, but again this thing is targeting that in-between niche.

Trouble is, it's not really a "tweener". In terms of payload or tow capacity, it's more like a regular F150 or Chevy half-ton, just heavier and with a diesel engine.

They spend a lot of time talking about how smooth the ride is, how much better it is than the big trucks. That also makes it sound like a regular half-ton, where you have to stiffen the suspension to properly handle max loads.

Maybe they'll come up with a HD Payload option like the F150. Stiffer suspension, heftier axles and wheels. Now that would be interesting and make it a real "tweener".

On paper you're correct, but this thing weighs about a ton more than an F150 and has a stouter frame and drivetrain with considerably more torque. I'd expect better overall towing performance out of the XD despite similar ratings on paper.

That being said, one issue the XD will run into is that there probably won't be any monetary advantage to going with it over a bigger diesel aside from possibly lower fuel costs. Even a standard grade half ton, at least in the popular crew cab configurations, doesn't have much of a cost advantage over heavy duty trucks anymore (even diesel ones if you take it easy on options).
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
brulaz wrote:
Trouble is, it's not really a "tweener". In terms of payload or tow capacity, it's more like a regular F150 or Chevy half-ton, just heavier and with a diesel engine.

They spend a lot of time talking about how smooth the ride is, how much better it is than the big trucks. That also makes it sound like a regular half-ton, where you have to stiffen the suspension to properly handle max loads.

Maybe they'll come up with a HD Payload option like the F150. Stiffer suspension, heftier axles and wheels. Now that would be interesting and make it a real "tweener".

I agree, the numbers aren't really appealing to me. Its payload and tow rating are similar to the higher end of half tons. The fuel economy isn't that great. The tow ratings aren't that great.

It seems to be just a more expensive half ton... with a diesel... but without the benefits of a diesel (more power, better fuel economy, exhaust brake, etc). I don't know, it just seems to be an odd fit. Maybe we are seeing why Toyota didn't use it in 2016...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:

I dunno - the gap between a half ton and a diesel HD truck is huge. I think there's plenty of room for a tweener like the XD to work out. Even if it isn't any faster than an Ecoboost, it still has a stouter chassis and driveline and should handle an 8-11k load better. Not like a big diesel of course, but again this thing is targeting that in-between niche.

2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
RinconVTR wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Here's another video of the Titan pulling 9k lb trailer. Mr. Truck didn't seam too happy with the power from this short test drive. Also the cummins sure seams to be very loud during acceleration.

Link

Yup. Something I've been saying for awhile...these smaller diesels are not the power houses for towing people think they are. People are in for a rude awakening if they buy these things for consistent towing.

Those who are seasonal RVers and want better MPG during the other 6 months of the year it might work out if you pay the price upfront and likely more maintenance cost. The high purchase price alone throws ROI out the window.

I still dont see anything but a small niche to fill here, very much like the EcoDiesel but with more realistic power.

It isn't a truck I'd buy but I can certainly see it working for a lot of people.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB