cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 dually vs mid 2000 dually comparisons?

jbc28
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious to hear from folks who have upgraded to a current model dually. I'm hoping to avoid a brand war thread just honest opinions of where/how the new models are improved...specifically for towing heavy.

Unloaded performance isn't much a concern for me since I have a daily driver. My truck isn't generally used unless we are travelling or making deliveries for our business. I pull a 16k 40' toyhauler now. We do a few 1100 mile (round) trips to Disney each year, plus local trips. I'm really wanting to make a long trip out west in the next 2 years. I just don't see making that trip in our current truck as very relaxing.

I'm considering any of the big 3 duallys or maybe a F450 at the moment. New truck will be 4x4, CC, upper level trim, outfitted with a flatbed.

I just want to get an idea of what to expect after dropping $$$ on a new one. Thanks.
2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate
2019 Momentum 381M
36 REPLIES 36

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
1jeep wrote:
I live in Ma and passed up getting a F450 thinking I would save on insurance. The registry forced me to get a commercial plate on the 350 as it is a drw, then insurance was an automatic commercial policy.

As for the truck, if I could redo it I might look into a F450 or Ram 4500 with a custom bed.

You would be sacrificing a lot of power and torque going from a Super Duty pick-up bed to a cab and chassis. The cab and chassis has 110 hp and 175 lb-ft less than the pickup bed version.

lower gears would help offset that, although im already at 4.30 in my current truck.

Gears don't make up for less power, they just let you rev quicker to get to the power that is there. 110hp is a lot less power.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
SO! I tow a 39'4" 5th wheel, loaded to it's 16k GVWR, with a RAM 3500 4x4 CC SB and meet all the numbers. These new truck are in a different league from older trucks. Any 350/3500 will do the job just fine. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Bedlam
My F250 was 325 hp with 3.73's and my 5500 is also 325 hp but with 4.44's. I don't need the top end end as much as the bottom.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:
1jeep wrote:
I live in Ma and passed up getting a F450 thinking I would save on insurance. The registry forced me to get a commercial plate on the 350 as it is a drw, then insurance was an automatic commercial policy.

As for the truck, if I could redo it I might look into a F450 or Ram 4500 with a custom bed.

You would be sacrificing a lot of power and torque going from a Super Duty pick-up bed to a cab and chassis. The cab and chassis has 110 hp and 175 lb-ft less than the pickup bed version.

lower gears would help offset that, although im already at 4.30 in my current truck.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
jbc28 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I put 15 hours towing yesterday 35k combined with MC trailer behind RV in a 15 RAM Dually. I felt a bit tired but not sore at all. Truck has AISIN and is a LongHorn with factory rear air ride. Very nice!

Thanks for the info. I bet that air ride is sweet.

It really is nice. There are two full length leaf springs and two from the axle forward to control axle wrap. The bags are carrying the weight.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Bedlam
jbc28 wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
What is your actual pin weight or truck rear axle weight now when you are loaded?

My 5500 loaded with a 4000 lb truck camper and 1000 lb hitch weight trailer was still a little stiff. Now that I carry a 6000 lb truck camper, the ride has softened up. I understand you want to get a heavier duty truck, but you do not one that is so stiff that it rattles your occupants and RV apart.

I'm putting almost 5k of additional weight with the camper pin, fuel tank, tools, and additional weight of the flat bed.

My F350 C&C has 9750 lb rear springs as compared to a new 450 pickup and f350 drw with 9900 lb springs. I expect the ride will be similar.

I'm thinking of building my own kelderman style air ride for the rear shackles. I own a fabrication shop and have the capability.

You're at the weight where 19.5" wheels would make for better towing. If you deflate tires to go in sand, then disregard because you will not get flotation with cookie cutters. 19.5's have worked well for me on fire/lumber roads and in snow, so they are not just a street tire. I upgraded to them on my F250 and run them on my 5500. You can run them at 70 PSI unloaded, but they will be stiff compared to the LT tires you are used to.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II

2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

jbc28
Explorer
Explorer
stufarmer wrote:
I suggest talking to your Insurance Company before you consider any Truck over a 1 ton. In the first part of 16' we bought a new F450 for our personal use. Big mistake, our Insurance Company (State Farm) rated the truck as a Commercial Vehicle and required Commercial Insurance on it, regardless of our intended use.
I understand we all have different circumstances, and yours may vary, etc .. etc .. or it may vary State to State .. IDK. But we love or F350.

Thanks. I'll probably end up going commercial anyway since it is used with our business at times.
2019 Momentum 381M

jbc28
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
What is your actual pin weight or truck rear axle weight now when you are loaded?

My 5500 loaded with a 4000 lb truck camper and 1000 lb hitch weight trailer was still a little stiff. Now that I carry a 6000 lb truck camper, the ride has softened up. I understand you want to get a heavier duty truck, but you do not one that is so stiff that it rattles your occupants and RV apart.

I'm putting almost 5k of additional weight with the camper pin, fuel tank, tools, and additional weight of the flat bed.

My F350 C&C has 9750 lb rear springs as compared to a new 450 pickup and f350 drw with 9900 lb springs. I expect the ride will be similar.

I'm thinking of building my own kelderman style air ride for the rear shackles. I own a fabrication shop and have the capability.
2019 Momentum 381M

jbc28
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
Howdy neighbor. Check out James O'Neil in Breman, GA if you're looking for a dually. When I purchased my 08 GMC 3500 they had the best price around and had several in stock, new and used. Even delivered to my store in Jacksonville.

We'll be up at Nocalula campground in October for our annual FR owners group rally. Great campground.

Good luck with your hunt.

Howdy! Thanks for the info. Noccalula is our go to campground for a quick break.
2019 Momentum 381M

jbc28
Explorer
Explorer
dfletch wrote:
We just got a 2017 Silverado 3500hd duramax crewcab 4x4 longbed dully. It has a CGVW OF 30,000 lbs towing capacity (5th wheel) of 22,000 lbs. and a cargo payload of 4,000 lbs. It has all the bells and whistles and drives like a dream. When pulling our 40 foot 16,000 lb 5ver I don't even know it's back there.

That's what I'm looking for. I want to be able arrived relaxed. I think increased power, an exhaust brake, adaptive cruise, etc will go a long way.
2019 Momentum 381M

jbc28
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I put 15 hours towing yesterday 35k combined with MC trailer behind RV in a 15 RAM Dually. I felt a bit tired but not sore at all. Truck has AISIN and is a LongHorn with factory rear air ride. Very nice!

Thanks for the info. I bet that air ride is sweet.
2019 Momentum 381M

stufarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest talking to your Insurance Company before you consider any Truck over a 1 ton. In the first part of 16' we bought a new F450 for our personal use. Big mistake, our Insurance Company (State Farm) rated the truck as a Commercial Vehicle and required Commercial Insurance on it, regardless of our intended use.
I understand we all have different circumstances, and yours may vary, etc .. etc .. or it may vary State to State .. IDK. But we love or F350.

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
I've had both generations. The new ones tow smoother, stop faster, go faster, and do it much more comfortably. That being said, just like the older trucks, they are harnessed from the factory and deserve a decent exhaust and some programming. Just my opinion.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204