cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2017 dually vs mid 2000 dually comparisons?

jbc28
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious to hear from folks who have upgraded to a current model dually. I'm hoping to avoid a brand war thread just honest opinions of where/how the new models are improved...specifically for towing heavy.

Unloaded performance isn't much a concern for me since I have a daily driver. My truck isn't generally used unless we are travelling or making deliveries for our business. I pull a 16k 40' toyhauler now. We do a few 1100 mile (round) trips to Disney each year, plus local trips. I'm really wanting to make a long trip out west in the next 2 years. I just don't see making that trip in our current truck as very relaxing.

I'm considering any of the big 3 duallys or maybe a F450 at the moment. New truck will be 4x4, CC, upper level trim, outfitted with a flatbed.

I just want to get an idea of what to expect after dropping $$$ on a new one. Thanks.
2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate
2019 Momentum 381M
36 REPLIES 36

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Ford make the 2017 looks better but in the same time they cut corners here and there make more money but the consumers pay more.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Denny___Jami
Explorer
Explorer
jbc28 wrote:
Denny & Jami wrote:
jbc28 wrote:
I'm curious to hear from folks who have upgraded to a current model dually. I'm hoping to avoid a brand war thread just honest opinions of where/how the new models are improved...specifically for towing heavy.

Unloaded performance isn't much a concern for me since I have a daily driver. My truck isn't generally used unless we are travelling or making deliveries for our business. I pull a 16k 40' toyhauler now. We do a few 1100 mile (round) trips to Disney each year, plus local trips. I'm really wanting to make a long trip out west in the next 2 years. I just don't see making that trip in our current truck as very relaxing.

I'm considering any of the big 3 duallys or maybe a F450 at the moment. New truck will be 4x4, CC, upper level trim, outfitted with a flatbed.

I just want to get an idea of what to expect after dropping $$$ on a new one. Thanks.

I upgraded from a 2000 F350 DRW to a 2013 F350 DRW in 2013 and the increased load compacity and towing rating was noticed the first time we towed with it, the empty ride was a little stiffer but nothing we couldn't live with.

Denny

Thanks for the info. I bet it was hard saying goodbye to that 7.3.

It wasn't a 7.3 it was a V10 with 4.30 gears.

Denny
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 gears Air Lifts
2003 HitchHiker Premier 35FKTG 215/75/17.5 Goodyear G114 Tires

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Creature comforts and new tech is obviously heads and tails better. Even if you're not into that, but you are because you said you wanted a loaded truck.
Frame/suspension and axles, each brand has had their own upgrades over the years. All for the better, but some not earth shattering. In general you'll have a stiffer chassis and better brakes. For GM and ram, axles still haven't changed since early 2000s. Sort of.
Power, transmissions and integrated exhaust brakes are the big 3 improvements IMO.

And then there's the difference between a 10+ year old (even if well maintained) loose, squeaky old truck and a brand new one.

Go drive one, yea the difference is huge.....and in your case you can dump the 6.0 in running condition.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jbc28
Explorer
Explorer
Denny & Jami wrote:
jbc28 wrote:

I upgraded from a 2000 F350 DRW to a 2013 F350 DRW in 2013 and the increased load compacity and towing rating was noticed the first time we towed with it, the empty ride was a little stiffer but nothing we couldn't live with.

Denny

Thanks for the info. I bet it was hard saying goodbye to that 7.3.
2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate
2019 Momentum 381M

Denny___Jami
Explorer
Explorer
jbc28 wrote:

Denny
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 gears Air Lifts
2003 HitchHiker Premier 35FKTG 215/75/17.5 Goodyear G114 Tires

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
nremtp143 wrote:
The most impressive thing to me in the battle of the F350 vs the F450 is the turning radius. The F450 comes with the "wide track" front end and has a MUCH better turning radius. The F350 4x4 turns at 38* while the F450 4X4 turns at a full 45*. Much easier to maneuver in tight places. The F450 rides a little more harsh, but that is subjective. The draw back to a 450 is the limited tread patterns for the tires. If memory serves, there are only two manufacturers that have an all terrain tire, one of which is Toyo and has to be ordered. If all you want is a street tire, then that will be of little consequence. I've driven F450 and F350 ambulances for years and can tell you I much prefer to drive an F450 when it is loaded and the turning radius and stopping power shine above the 350.

My F350 drw has the high capacity tow which gives it the same f450 front axle and yes it makes a huge difference when turning in tight areas.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
No comparison in my opinion between the duallys of early 2000 to the ones today.
I certainly don't think you need a 450 to pull a 16K toy hauler when most one tons will handle 28-30K with no problem. Buy what you want but with the 450 your ride quality is going to be harsher than with a one ton especially unloaded.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
The most impressive thing to me in the battle of the F350 vs the F450 is the turning radius. The F450 comes with the "wide track" front end and has a MUCH better turning radius. The F350 4x4 turns at 38* while the F450 4X4 turns at a full 45*. Much easier to maneuver in tight places. The F450 rides a little more harsh, but that is subjective. The draw back to a 450 is the limited tread patterns for the tires. If memory serves, there are only two manufacturers that have an all terrain tire, one of which is Toyo and has to be ordered. If all you want is a street tire, then that will be of little consequence. I've driven F450 and F350 ambulances for years and can tell you I much prefer to drive an F450 when it is loaded and the turning radius and stopping power shine above the 350.
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
wantabe351 wrote:
Good post, I was wondering the same thing.. My DW and I were talking the pros and cons of keeping our 2005 Dually or getting a 2017 SRW truck, but our CGVW is 25,235lbs and that bring my 5er right around 16K..Driving around NJ,NY,and N.England its ok we just watch the hill up and down..But our trip this year to the Rockies(Tetons,Yellowstone and Glacier on up to BC/Alberta Ice Fields) our truck felt old, lack of power with smoke at 6,000' plus the trying to slow down our stop was another issue even with the exhaust brakes I was smelling our HOT brakes...OK now its No Payments or a very big truck payment.. I'm gathering many have made this decision. Fix up our 2005 or buy a new one... What do you want or is it can I afford to do? Now my 05 has 93,000mi on it and a few upgrades done trying to boost the power and increase it reliability while towing but after this trip it needs more help. For some ideas from other PU truck drivers I go to the Cumminsforums looking for ideas or get some questions answered. Maybe you should look there Too!

I did the same thing with my 08. I've put over $6,000 into it in the last year, from new tires, tuner, exhaust, air bags, B&W turnover ball, shocks, few other things. It does still drive well and with the tuner, unloaded the way it drives is better than my brothers brand new 16 Duramax (tho his steering and suspension of course are better). I kind of wish I would have gotten new one, but then really I'm just getting mostly vanity options like a sunroof, per rear window, power folding mirrors. And I like the bench seat I have in front and it's really hard to find anything but captains chairs in New pickups now. Although..... When pulling, a new one would be more comfortable and I wish I had that. Really there's a lot of pros and cons and it's a tough decision.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

wantabe351
Explorer
Explorer
Good post, I was wondering the same thing.. My DW and I were talking the pros and cons of keeping our 2005 Dually or getting a 2017 SRW truck, but our CGVW is 25,235lbs and that bring my 5er right around 16K..Driving around NJ,NY,and N.England its ok we just watch the hill up and down..But our trip this year to the Rockies(Tetons,Yellowstone and Glacier on up to BC/Alberta Ice Fields) our truck felt old, lack of power with smoke at 6,000' plus the trying to slow down our stop was another issue even with the exhaust brakes I was smelling our HOT brakes...OK now its No Payments or a very big truck payment.. I'm gathering many have made this decision. Fix up our 2005 or buy a new one... What do you want or is it can I afford to do? Now my 05 has 93,000mi on it and a few upgrades done trying to boost the power and increase it reliability while towing but after this trip it needs more help. For some ideas from other PU truck drivers I go to the Cumminsforums looking for ideas or get some questions answered. Maybe you should look there Too!
[purple]Rich & Andrea
[/purple] Semi-Retired
2022 Ram2500 6.4 CC

2019Keystone,Impact26v-TH,solarpower

,Lithium Batt.. all to take our 2012 Yamaha FJR along to ride..

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
I'll not dispute with either of you. I'd say we'd need to see the power graphs versus gearing and likely empty weights once equipped.

It would fun to see a drag race where differences had been balanced out.

But it would be the braking test that mattered.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Slowmover wrote:
110HP that only exists on paper. Computer keeps things dialed back. HP is a lot of noise and heat, for the most part.

The 4500/5500 series trucks actually have to work for a living. Power ratings are more realistic estimates of available, use-able power. Long life matters.

Not so on today's toy pickemups. Those owners can't resist useless options.

Besides, HP with a diesel isn't the thing. It's the available TQ curve that matters. And I'd bet its impressively flat on the heavier trucks. Revenue miles.

This is false! The reason for the lower power numbers in the cab and chassis trucks is due to emissions and has nothing to do with engine longevity.

There are two kinds of vehicle emission certifications, an engine dyno certification and a chassis dyno certification. If the engine is going into a complete truck(ie, pickup bed) then the whole vehicle goes through a chassis dyno certification which allows it to pass with higher power numbers. If the engine is going into a truck that is not complete (ie, cab and chassis), then the engine alone has to go through an engine dyno certification which is more stringent that the chassis certification and they have to lower power output in order to pass. It has nothing to do with longevity or duty cycle.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
Slowmover wrote:
110HP that only exists on paper. Computer keeps things dialed back. HP is a lot of noise and heat, for the most part.

The 4500/5500 series trucks actually have to work for a living. Power ratings are more realistic estimates of available, use-able power. Long life matters.

Besides, HP with a diesel isn't the thing. It's the available TQ curve that matters. And I'd bet its impressively flat on the heavier trucks. Revenue miles.

Have you driven both the F450/F550 Cab/chassis vs the F450 CCLB? I did before I bought.

You'll never convince me that that extra HP and TQ is only on paper. Even with the steeper gearing, the missing power was evident on the test drives. Not saying the Cab/Chassis trucks are underpowered, just that they are 'geared' towards a different purpose. Pun intended.

I'd buy the 450 pickup and put a flat bed on it, then sell the stock bed to recoup some of the cost. As noted earlier, the F450 comes with the 19.5' tires which are a bonus when towing heavy.

Oh, and my 'toy' F450 WORKS for a living, 6 days a week, rarely less than 3k lbs in the bed. Then add to that the 16k lb dump trailer 2 or 3 times a week for an average of 30k miles per year ....

And yes ...it has all those 'useless options' that make the large amount of time I spend in my truck much more enjoyable.
15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer

1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost