cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018 Keystone Bullet 243BHS

wyldiris
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of buying the new Bullet 243BHS. We are limited as to what we can get. We want something big enough for a family of 3 and to travel at times with a total of 6 people, but is light weight enough to be towed by our Toyota Tacoma. The Bullet seems to have all of the things we are looking for. However, we have read some poor reviews about Keystone products. We are looking to hear from owners of Keystone travel trailers and how their experience has been. Thank in advance for the input!

❚ Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★"?
    Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions related to posting issues with Open Roads Forum sites, member profile and photo testing, and for reporting account issues. Please avoid using this forum for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, select the Sub-Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!

Moved from FORUM TECHNICAL SUPPORT

7 REPLIES 7

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of things to consider when picking a tt, the tow rating is the last one as you’ll exceed many other ratings before reaching it.

First is payload. Check your door sticker for your trucks rating. That number must include the weight off all people in the vehicle, gear, and the tongue weight of the trailer. Any weight added to the truck beyond 150lbs for a driver also reduces your tow rating pound for pound. Newer Tacos using the new SAE ratings include 150lbs each for a driver and 1 passenger.

A typical tt carries around 13 percent of its loaded weight on the tongue. That’s 650lbs for a 5k loaded, not dry, trailer.

A 5k dry trailer will exceed 6500lbs once it is optioned out and loaded. With a Tacoma lightly loaded with passengers you’re going to want to keep the tt under 5k loaded.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

wyldiris
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all of your input. Just trying to further educate ourselves :-). Our Tacoma's max tow capacity is 6,500. The model bullet we are looking at has a dry weight of 4,940. We thought if we looked for a TT under 5,000, we would be all set. In your experience how much less would you be looking for? It's hard to say when you haven't towed one before and all the searches bring up TT that are a dry weight anywhere from 5,500-lighter. Thanks again for the information.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 2013 Keystone Passport we had was built well, basically a Bullet with different decals and renamed so they can pack dealers closer together from a brand standpoint.

As far as towing something that size with a Tacoma, read the other posts. Lots of people do however. Personally I would not want to.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
No real experience with a Bullet, but picked up a nice used 2011 Cougar 36' bunkhouse last summer. So far, so good aside from a couple lack of proper maintenance issues from the prior owner. Can't fault a manufacturer for that. I suspect if your expectations are appropriate you'll be very happy with the Bullet.

I do have to echo buster though. That is a lot of trailer for that truck. I pulled a TrailManor (look it up if you don't know them) for several years with a similar sized truck. It did well, maintained speed etc. But that was a low profile, folding trailer that was under 4000#. JMHO, but your into half ton territory. Your max towing might say its ok, but do your home work. All gear, people, etc etc. Not trying to rain on your parade, but want to make sure your informed.

FWIW friends followed us cross country 2 years ago. Us with a 30' 5ver behind a Ford 6.7 diesel. Them with a 28' TT behind a Ford 6.2 gas. I had to follow or I just lost them. A new diesel truck appeared in that driveway not too long ago. Just an example. YMMV.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Our Bullet 31BHPR is well built and has had no real issues since new. I’d buy another. I’ve heard similar from other owners.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
A Tacoma, 6500 pounds and 28 feet of TT and six people? No go.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

busterbrown73
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. Glad you're considering a Keystone product. I own a Bullet and it been a great coach since ownership. Some small things that were easily fixable under warranty. If you want to hear some real world experiences with that exact model, you might want to work your way over to the keystone forum owners website. Good insight to be had there.

As far as towing that particular trailer, your TV may be a little underpowered for that 28' sail. I'd recommend you do a little more research with your Tacoma's capabilities. Good luck.